Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Toras

First Post
primemover003 said:
Crushing Despair??? No, I'm no Sinker or Madman, just a humble Seeker... Rage would be my response. I'd be too like Toras' player!
Bravo... give them a moral quandry that interferes with the timeline of their original goals. Would hate to want to play an Exalted character in your campaign!

Yep, violence tends to be my balwick in that case. (Stomp it until it stops fighting back) But you really haven't seen Toras 'angry'. (For a clue, he has been going up in a custom Defender of Children/Avenger class).

As for the Book of Exalted Deeds, I only managed to use one thing from that book (the good align poisons). Rest of it is a bit too good to exist in shemmy's world (except as maybe a paladin).

Shemeska

Adventurer
Toras said:
As for the Book of Exalted Deeds, I only managed to use one thing from that book (the good align poisons). Rest of it is a bit too good to exist in shemmy's world (except as maybe a paladin).

I was seemingly asleep when I ok'd 'ravages' and I wasn't willing to retcon the usage, so they stayed.

But regarding stuff from the BoED, I'm not convinced of the actual level of 'good' in the BoED. A lot of it seems to me to just be 'yes this is evil, but it's not actually evil, because we're using it against evil people so that makes it alright'.

Honestly a paladin played by the book would likely lose their powers at some point during the campaign. Put it this way, there's a full blooded Guardinal as a PC, and watch how she reacts to what is tossed at her.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Btw, while according to my unwritten schedule of such things both storyhours would be updated this week, it's not going to happen barring me taking crystal meth to be up to it. I'm moving apartments this week, and I've been doing all the moving myself, so suffice to say I've been either too busy or two tired to write any this week.

Both will be updated next week.

Edit: I'm joking about taking meth

Last edited:

primemover003

First Post
Shemeska said:
I was seemingly asleep when I ok'd 'ravages' and I wasn't willing to retcon the usage, so they stayed.

But regarding stuff from the BoED, I'm not convinced of the actual level of 'good' in the BoED. A lot of it seems to me to just be 'yes this is evil, but it's not actually evil, because we're using it against evil people so that makes it alright'.

Honestly a paladin played by the book would likely lose their powers at some point during the campaign. Put it this way, there's a full blooded Guardinal as a PC, and watch how she reacts to what is tossed at her.
No even from what you've thrown out I'd say a Paladin could make it through your campaign... You'd have to make the adjustments though, not the player. The campaign, no matter how dark would have to allow for such a paragon of goodness to exist... The Upper Planes haven't fallen yet (barring Belerian and Nemausus!).

However I do understand where your campaign is coming from... mine is the exact opposite I think. I try to push my players to become champions of good, though a few are determined to remain Mercenaries till the bitter end! One in particluar, the tiefling wizard has told me, "I'm sick of rescuing towns or saving the world. Give me a nice dungeon to plunder!"

I also have to defend the BoED. I think it's perhaps the best book done on what being a Champion or a Hero really means. Sure some of the Mechanics are wonky, but the philosophy in the first chapter is dead on.

Clueless

Webmonkey
Mmmm - it's less that Paladin's don't exist. It's more that the game - got *that* dark. Dark enough for the best to eventually break (and be reborn hopefully). Every character who played through from beginning to end developed into a dynamic character - some changes were more subtle than others.

Toras

First Post
Ironically Toras, being the chaotic bastard that he is became more light as the game went on. But that's him being contary (won't let the creepy get to me)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases