Cool Encounter Areas

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
There's two special locations converted to D&D terms in this month's Dragon #294 (Chainmail section). One is "the bridge of Celestian" and the other is the "River of Lost Souls"---if you fall in, you take 1d4 temporary Wisdom damage (DC 11 to resist) from the tormented spirits trapped in the onrushing water. Each round in the water, you must resave... Not to mention that whole drowning/swimming thing!

Anabstercorian

First Post
On ice floes running down a freezing river. Don't hit the ground with your mace and be careful with the Fireballs.

In a room of psychoactive ectoplasm. Some rounds it tries to kill you, other rounds it tries to have sex with you.

In a huge wind tunnel - The wind started out low enough, but on your way out of the Temple of Wind, things got nasty, especially after the arrowhawks showed up and the wind speed started increasing... Very, very fast...

Bottom floor of the dungeon. It's flooding. You're running up the stairs, water crashing behind you. Oh hell, bad time to run in to a wandering monster, wasn't it?

Running through a maze of thick glass walls. Either get run in to walls a lot, watch out for the blood stains in mid air, or put your head down and SMASH.

Napftor

Explorer
Atop a dead god in the Astral Plane.

Fighting atop/between 2 runaway carts.

Inside an NPC's mind (though this was fun, I guess it's not much of an enounter locale with a "coolness" factor).

Azure Trance

First Post
There was a link I had that had many encounter areas. It was for Feng Shui I believe. Would post it but its on the favorite links of a different comp.

Breakstone

First Post
I once had a fight between a wizard and a lycanthrope on a bridge over a never-ending pit (quite literally, too).

The wizard was a conjurer, and he summoned a swarm- and rolled bats.

Two tornadoes of bats suddenly rushed up from the bowels of the pit, encasing the surprised werewolf.

That was cool.

tenelo

First Post
Raid the mini encounter contest. Even if you aren't going to vote, some people have come up with some really cool locations. Of course, others are generic/non-existant, but it's a fair bet you can find a few that you'll like.

My entry (1st heat, didn't win, so no vote canvassing here) had a valley with coloured crystals in the walls. They hum on different notes in sunlight, and can cast a spell if hit/tapped by something. I had visions of someone using a feng shui (lifestyle belief sytem not RPG) type arrangement of mirrors and screens to direct sunlight onto particular groups of crystals, either to make beautiful music, or scare off intruders with horrible wailing dissonances. It's Harmonies in the Snow if you want to check it out. I'm more than happy to mail you an expanded description of the location, some things had to be cut for length.

Jhamin

First Post
Azure Trance said:
There was a link I had that had many encounter areas. It was for Feng Shui I believe. Would post it but its on the favorite links of a different comp.

I was about to post the link, but it looks dead :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases