What is "grim and gritty" and "low magic" anyway?

Bendris Noulg

First Post
rounser said:
There are years of, for example, FR threads with evidence to the contrary...and when the backlash finally does come, you're claiming victim status? :p
I wouldn't consider this the same thing, though. For instance, one of the key points of attraction for FR when it was released is that magic wasn't all that common but every adventure provided some new piece of magic for the PCs to "re-discover". As the game progressed from 1E to 2E and now to 3E, this issue of "re-discovery" changed to "common as Floridian misquitos".

Now, am I complaining about this? No. FR's not a world I've particularly cared for. However, I can see people that came to FR for its earlier offerings being in conflict with those that came to FR for its later offerings, as the two versions are entirely different in both flavor and style.

(And, honestly, if I was "forced" to run an FR campaign, I'd be more apt to convert the low-magic 1E grey box set to d20 than I would be to blow the dust off of the 3E hardcover and play it as a 3E game.)

Part of the discussion in this thread is how many low magic enthusiasts have a tendency toward being snobby and arrogant about how their game is bettah than high magic, and how much it sucks (especially if a target like FR presents itself).
I don't deny such individuals exist. However, as I pointed out, this thread seems to have a few snobby and arrogant individuals preaching for the "other camp", as it were. Did you see them, or would you like me to dig up the quotes?

You even proved yourself wrong in the same post. That's gotta be a record.
How so? I've presented my opinions and tastes (High Magic comes across as cheesy and I prefer Low Magic). Am I saying "High Magic Sucks"? Am I saying "High Magic Players want High Magic because they are complete morons that can't play without it"? Am I saying "Only an incompetant GM doesn't have the balls to break away from the default conditions"?

No, I'm not saying any of that.

However, when I say "I like Low Magic", the above comments seem to be what a lot of people wish I was saying so that they could have something to complain about. And, obviously, some of them reply as if I had.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
You not liking high magic != high magic sucks.

I've never said people shouldn't like low magic. I've said people who do like low magic shouldn't claim that their games are superior to high magic games...I feel the same way in the other direction (that high magic isn't any holistically "better" than low magic).

So this:
I don't like high magic because it just comes across as cheesy. Too much magic. Too much superheroics. Character design focused on creating characters that don't interest me in regards to playing as or GMing for. A CR system that labels characters I would like to play as "sub par" or "ineffectual" when such things are actually a product of the individual group and not the generic rules.

Is one great reason for prefering low magic. You don't like characters with a lot of power. "Cheesy" is a bit on the insulting side, but whatever. You don't like to play games in which there is a lot of magic and superheroics. That's fine. I'm not here to make you.

However, this:
(I would posit...)That without depending on magic as a crutch and cure all, characters will be tougher, smarter, faster, and more heroic because genetic evolution dictates that it must be so.

And this:
(magic as pervasive as D&D can be compared to...) He-Man and She-Ra. Or how about Hercules: The Legendary Journies? Oh, and you can't forget Xena: The Warrior Princess.

No, wait, I got it! Dragonball Z!!!

And not from you, but agreed upon:
I haven't said that high magic isn't fun, nor that it can't be challenging, just that it doesn't do a very good job of modelling the kinds of challenges which typically face the heroes of myth.

There are different challenges, and there are different solutions. It's different, and inasmuch as one wants an experience that is not different from classic myth and fiction, that can be a problem.

And this:
On the other hand, reading the "how to" thread, I see post after post of arbitrary decisions resulting in "nerfs" in order to make high magic games work.

And this:
D&D is the only facet of the fantasy genre I know of where people expect to be able to jump through to the end and eliminate the big baddy, and where the right question (commune) removes any sense of ambiguity from the tale in regards to morals, ethics, and best course of action. Sure, these can be "trumped", either through more magic or simple GM's fiat (the "How To" thread has several shining examples of just that), but that just turns back to the one-up-manship problem that high magic eventually escalates to.

And this:
Really, the only difference I see between high and low is how the ends are achieved. In a low magic game, it's through the rarity, unavailability, and unsurity of magic. In a high magic game, it's through trumps, one-up-manship, and fiat.

....are more than a little "grrrrr, high magic is teh s uck!" Especially at the end there, suggesting that what the DMG defines as "bad structure" is *required* to play in a high-level, normal-magic-level game. Though to be honest, Wulf is much more into the hat on normal D&D magic, aparently. ;)

That's all I'm really protesting against. The idea that normal levels of magic and high levels have to result in a somehow sub-par game. If you'd prefer not to do it, fine, but don't go claiming that it has to be bad just because you'd prefer to do something else. Then you're as bad as those mooks claiming that lm/gng is awful because of power-mad railroad-happy DM's.

Last edited:

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
You not liking high magic != high magic sucks.
Which is why I never said it. Nice of you to notice.

I've never said people shouldn't like low magic. I've said people who do like low magic shouldn't claim that their games are superior to high magic games...I feel the same way in the other direction (that high magic isn't any holistically "better" than low magic).
And, again, read the first page of this thread. Go ahead, just the first page. You will notice that there isn't anyone saying that High Magic games suck or that Low Magic games are better. You will also notice that there are several replies stating the Low Magic GMs are incompitant, fearful, and power mad.

You can avoid this fact all you want, but the truth is right there for anyone to see.

So this:

[Bendris Quote]

Is one great reason for prefering low magic. You don't like characters with a lot of power. "Cheesy" is a bit on the insulting side, but whatever. You don't like to play games in which there is a lot of magic and superheroics. That's fine. I'm not here to make you.
Negative. The characters in my game are quite powerful.

Allow me to clarify...

At 1st Level, Aedon PCs are likely a tad less powered on the combat side than "standard" D&D PCs but a little more pumped on Skills.

At 5th Level, Aedon PCs are definately a bit less powered on the combat/magic side than "standard" PCs, but their Feats and Skills are easily on par, if not superior.

At 10th Level, Aedon PCs are still lagging in magic, but their combat prowess has likely caught up to "standard" PCs.

At 15th Level, Aedon PCs are only a smidge behind "standard" PCs in regards to magic.

At 20th Level, I'll put an Aedon PC against a "standard" PC and likely whip the snot out of him in both personal and magical power.

So, you see, you seem to have made an assumption about me not liking "powerful characters". And I assure you, it's not the only incorrect assumption you and others have made in this thread, and thus why you continuously fail to gain any ground in this debate: You've allowed your narrow view of low magic games to form the basis of statements that simply aren't true.

However, this:

And this:

And not from you, but agreed upon:

And this:

And this:

And this:
Yawn...

Okay, I compared D&D (which I think is cheesy) to a number of cheesy shows that feature high magic and illogical continuity. Big friggin' deal. Are any of those quotes comparible to...

Post #4: Simply put - if someone uses either of these phrases to describe their campaign, it means that they didn't really think about the campaign world beyond their own personal DMing preferences.

Post #6: If someone's primary description of their campaign includes only the phrases "grim and gritty" and/or "low magic", then you're in trouble.

Post #11: In my experience "grim and gritty" and "low magic" has equaled poor DM. It means DM's that feel magic missle is over powering, but a fighter with a sword that critical threats on 16 or greater and does 4D6 plus strength, 3 times per round is perfectly balanced. It means the DM is getting ready to keep the best spells out of the game. It means the Mage might was well not even attempt to take item creation feats.

It means that anything that is more creative then "I swing my sword" will be crushed by an egotistical GM, that would rather have a boring lame game then see his/her story ruined by altering the adventure even a little bit.

It means fear of what the players could do, and fear that their perfect little game would be ruined if the players had any power.

Post #15: "Low magic" usually means that the DM hates powerful spells that can be used to divine the villain's intentions or bring dead characters back to life, and also hates powerful magic items. So they make magic items almost nonexistant and severely nerf spellcasters (but usually don't reduce the difficulty of encounters to compensate for this reduced-power party).

These are all from the first page of the thread. If at a later time, some of us "low magic folks" got a little gruff, can you really blame us? How many insults and insinuations of poor gaming technique do we really have to put up with?

Indeed, even if the thread remained civil through out its entirety, how many times are we expected to answer the same stupid questions?

....are more than a little "grrrrr, high magic is teh s uck!" Especially at the end there, suggesting that what the DMG defines as "bad structure" is *required* to play in a high-level, normal-magic-level game. Though to be honest, Wulf is much more into the hat on normal D&D magic, aparently. ;)
And, again, I point to the material produced by WotC that sets that standard. If you can do better than their own designers, might I suggest you get into publishing?

That's all I'm really protesting against. The idea that normal levels of magic and high levels have to result in a somehow sub-par game. If you'd prefer not to do it, fine, but don't go claiming that it has to be bad just because you'd prefer to do something else. Then you're as bad as those mooks claiming that lm/gng is awful because of power-mad railroad-happy DM's.
If the idea of the game is to have fun, and I don't have fun in high magic games, then it is indeed sub-par. If you don't feel my reasons for liking low magic or not liking high magic are good enough reasons, than I suggest growing a thicker skin. You're undies are way too bunched up for an issue of personal taste.

Altalazar

First Post
My memory may be faulty and I certainly haven't consistently read this board on a regular basis, but I first recall discussions about high versus low magic relating to FR and to 3E in general. And the tone of those generally were very negative - attacking those who liked FR as "power gamers" and attacking it as "high magic" as if that were a swear word. (If it were, wouldn't Eric's Grandma be needing earmuffs by now?) This FR-bashing leaked over to 3E bashing as also "high magic" after it was apparently shown that FR really isn't that much more than the standard 3E level of magic.

Now there seems to be somewhat of a backlash against this initial "high" (and really medium) magic bashing (with an apparent implied notion that those who do "low" magic are better gamers) and so low magic gets bashed.

And now we come full circle.

C'mon. Obviously, there are VERY good gamers out there who play both low and high magic. There is nothing inherently wrong with either, there is nothing inherently good with either - the only thing that can be said for certain is that high magic has more magic than low magic. Everything else is just personal opinion and value judgments.

No need to hurl insults (like "cheesy") at a system.

I would be willing to bet that a good DM could make either high or low magic fun for good players, regardless of their opinions about low or high magic.

It seems this thread has been all about the "low magic versus high magic" and the grim and gritty part has been forgotten. (Perhaps a separate thread just on that would be appropriate - like how to do grim and gritty in the standard medium magic of the core rulebooks or to do it with high magic). In fact, here I go...

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Altalazar said:
My memory may be faulty and I certainly haven't consistently read this board on a regular basis, but I first recall discussions about high versus low magic relating to FR and to 3E in general. And the tone of those generally were very negative - attacking those who liked FR as "power gamers" and attacking it as "high magic" as if that were a swear word. (If it were, wouldn't Eric's Grandma be needing earmuffs by now?) This FR-bashing leaked over to 3E bashing as also "high magic" after it was apparently shown that FR really isn't that much more than the standard 3E level of magic.
See, I've experienced this from the other side. That is to say, a thread discussing low magic possibilities turning into a low magic bashing thread. But you need to understand my perspective. Most threads about "standard" D&D I stay out of because, most of the time, I've little to add. And if the thread's about FR (or Eberran or any other high magic setting), I'm virtually guaranteed not to make an appearance.

Now, consider what this means: I, personally, don't see the high magic bashing because I'm not reading the threads where high magic bashing is occuring. And chances are, this is the norm for most LM/GnG style gamers: Why spend our time reading threads of no real interest when other threads can be found that discuss topics that we are interested in discussing. But what I (we) do see (indeed, what we experience first hand) is plenty of low magic bashing.

This is why I try to be informative in my replies (at least at first, until I feel the line's been crossed too many times or that information is being purposely ignored for the sake of continuing an arguement, instances of both can be found around pages 4-6).

So I guess I don't think it's come full circle... I think it came full circle a long time ago (regardless of how it started) and it's just been spiraling outwards ever since.

(On a side note, I agree that FR is near-identicle to Core in regards to magic content. If anything, it appears to have more magic because the setting is so developed that the presence of magic is more quantified than it is for Greyhawk, which is under-developed except for what the RPGA is doing with it. However, I'd posit that this quality also makes it more difficult to reduce the magic level because it's so integrated into that development, which would make it less appealing to those that would like to do so. However, one thing to consider is how the Core defines demographics, with Class/Level of NPCs set up in a ratio based on population density. By this nature, looking at a map of Oerth and a map of Toril, I see a lot more cities in FR. With this as a consideration, demographics would suggest that the presence of magic is more noticable in FR because of it.)

No need to hurl insults (like "cheesy") at a system.
And no reason to hurl insults (like lazy, incompetant, fearful, power mad) at a preference.

And not all cheese is bad. It worked for Mortal Combat. It just didn't work for Street Fighter.

I would be willing to bet that a good DM could make either high or low magic fun for good players, regardless of their opinions about low or high magic.
Now, first, let me say that I agree with you.

However, this point has also come up previously in this thread alone. Several times. That is really half the problem... Just when folks reach this conclusion, another round of insults get hurled in. However, here's the pattern: Those that threw the insults are gone, leaving you debating for the "other side" after the "other side" has become irritating. I'm man enough to admit it's not your fault, specifically. However, I think there's also a matter of weighing the battle. For example, I've seen debates similar to this where both sides were getting insultive. Being that the people I would be "siding with" (and in some instances, already had) were being rude, I opted not to get involved or to step out of it.

So, here's a proposal for Boards Ettiquette: Regardless of your personal taste, whether you prefer low magic, high magic, min/max, in-depth RP, or what ever, if you see anyone that shares your preference making baseless, generalized and (dare I say) prejudicial statements about another gaming preference, take the initiative to say it's wrong. That is to say that, if I see a Low Magic gamer ripping on high magic games, a post from me as a Low Magic gamer informing the individual that what he's saying is uncool should be more effective than a High Magic gamer telling him he's being uncool.

Of course, it's just a theory. But I also figure, at worst, those who are open minded of other styles will see the common curtesy, and eventually those that seek to purposefully cause discord (i.e., trolls) will eventually become an irrelevant side-show (such as the case of those whom have already identified themselves).

It seems this thread has been all about the "low magic versus high magic" and the grim and gritty part has been forgotten. (Perhaps a separate thread just on that would be appropriate - like how to do grim and gritty in the standard medium magic of the core rulebooks or to do it with high magic). In fact, here I go...
I think it's because defining GnG is easier than defining low magic. For instance, one can say that W&V adds GnG elements because a character can get creamed on a bad roll (much like real life) but still allows for cinematic sequances similar to Hit Points, while Ken Hood's GnG No-Hit-Points System is extensively GnG as it removes the cinematic element. This provides two "benchmarks". A lot of it also has to do with mood, flavor, theme, etc. One need only point to Beastmaster (light hearted dialogue, comic-book violence, minimum "splat" factor in sword fights) and Gladiator (vengeance as a prime motivator, imperial politics involving patricide and incest, near-death by infection, decapitation, dismemberment, enslavement, Christians sitting passively while the lions walk up and start feeding, etc.) to define the differences in clear terms that everyone can understand (even if they only represent "part" of the whole picture).

Low Magic, on the other hand, isn't so easily quantified. It can mean less magic, magic scaling caps, Spell Level maximums, or even an entirely different magic system, which may be as potent as Core magic but at a cost and with risk (ala Sovereign Stone) or less potent (ala Fading Suns).

As such, the debate will touch back on GnG from time to time (as it's a matter of taste and still isn't an "exact" description of the individual campaign) while Low Magic will remain a focus throughout (as the ambiguity resulting from its many variations make it a natural target for people that are accustomed to having rules and settings clearly detailed in exacting text).

Altalazar

First Post
As someone who has played in both high, low, (and mostly medium core) magic, I pay attention to threads on all of them. I have had fun with all of them. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've managed to have a good time basically with every gaming group I've ever been in.

What you suggest is an interesting idea - having each side "police its own" so to speak, but then that still leaves me out because I really have no preference for low or high magic. I play core magic simply because that is the default, that is what the game is balanced for, and I haven't felt ambitious enough to change it. (Plus, my world was built with that as a basis originally, and I rather like my world so want to keep using it).

But if someone else is running a game, I really don't care that much. I just find out what the world is like, then come up with a character & personality (the most fun part) and then try and make stats for it that make it work.

In terms of these discussions, I try to keep it civil. It does irk me when I see an undercurrent of insult or put-down about someone due to the system they use - I hope I haven't done any of that myself. I try to distill out of it all what the real issues are - which are sometimes unstated and can get lost in the noise (especially when the insinuations of inferiority/superiority fly).

High and low both have strengths and weaknesses, but then that doesn't make one better than the other. In low, it is easier to control the plot on one level, because the player power level is very limited in ways it probably wouldn't be in high magic. In high magic one could be tempted to nerf everything because it is much easier to control the plot if you go back to low (because of all the variables and options created by magical power) - but that ultimately really isn't necessary. And one needs to realize that even in low, if players are clever or don't take a route the DM has anticipated, you can have just as much DM-fiat and trumping to stop that route as you can with an unanticipated high-level spell in high magic.

So in the end, it is a matter of taste. You are not wrong for wanting only to have vanilla ice cream and disdaining chocolate. Others are not wrong for only wanting chocolate ice cream and not liking vanilla. And I like both chocolate and vanilla, and throw in some whipped cream and bananas too.

One certainly couldn't argue that vanilla was a "better" flavor than chocolate. Or that people who like vanilla only are stupid. Or that whipped cream is better than cool whip. Now i'm hungry.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If at a later time, some of us "low magic folks" got a little gruff, can you really blame us? How many insults and insinuations of poor gaming technique do we really have to put up with?

Insulting someone else's gaming style is pretty dumb no matter who's doing it, no matter who started it, no matter who did it first. I'd attack the dudes who were harping on lm/gng just the same, if it wasn't already being handled. ;)

You seem to be aware of the point I was trying to make though, so cool. ICE CREAM TIME!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases