Temple of elemental Evil help

Clumsy Bob

First Post
after returning to TOEE game the other day I realised why I stopped playing the game originally. I just cannot defeat the balrog guardian. All my PC's are 10th level (max) where several enhancing items, have quite a selection of decent weapons etc.
My tactics are to enhance my fighter with enlarge person, haste the party, bless them and cast a couple of magic circles against evil. My cleric then casts divine power and righteous might before entering melee.
I have my ranger (no magic arrow left) to summon one of each of the other demon guardians and elementals as required.
Once combat is engaged the only peson who casues any damage to the balor is my sorceror with magic missle, seriously I have never done more than 100hp of damage to this creature.
It has got to the stage where I cannot be bothered to try and fight it anymore.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Bob

Wycen

Explorer
I myself have not reached this far in the game yet, but if the Balor is using 3.5 rules, and it should be, it is no wonder you are having a hard time. Unfortunately, there is a woeful lack of cheat or FAQ knowledge on the ToEE on the web.

You might want to try Slay Living, and other save or die/disable spells. Fireballs aren't likely to do much, since it has fire resistance, has spell resistance and gets a Reflex save for half. This will be a lucky shot getting through, so I would expect much reloading.

hong

WotC's bitch
Like in lots of CRPGs, the balor doesn't heal up between fights. Have your tanks run interference, while the sorc unloads all the magic missiles. When he's out, run away (easiest way is to teleport to one of the other nodes -- you HAVE done at least one of them, haven't you?) and rest up. Rinse and repeat.

Clumsy Bob

First Post
hong said:
Like in lots of CRPGs, the balor doesn't heal up between fights. Have your tanks run interference, while the sorc unloads all the magic missiles. When he's out, run away (easiest way is to teleport to one of the other nodes -- you HAVE done at least one of them, haven't you?) and rest up. Rinse and repeat.

Cheers Hong, that worked hit and run tactics using magic missles and acid arrows. Not very satisfactory though, and the final climatic encounter was weaker than the balor.
Glad I finished it but I dont think I will play it again.

Bob

AutoSponge

First Post
Clumsy Bob said:
Cheers Hong, that worked hit and run tactics using magic missles and acid arrows. Not very satisfactory though, and the final climatic encounter was weaker than the balor.
Glad I finished it but I dont think I will play it again.

Bob

You either need true strike every round or the named sword that autohits that the Prince carries. I gave that sword to my thief (since it autohits, no penalties matter) and flanked with my warrior. The mage did haste, enlarge, bull's strength, and a few others. My cleric just healed as needed and dismissed the summoned creatures. It took about 5 rounds to drop him.

Phaedrus

First Post
Load up all of cleric's spell slots with Searing Light and Sonic Burst (is that the name?) and Flame Strike

Sorceror Magic Missile, Acid Arrow, Fireball (which does very little damage)

And clear the other 3 nodes first so the Orb of Death has maximum summoning capability.

Start the fight, summon something to absorb the balor's attacks, and let loose with all the spells. I held my fighter back until it was near death then charged in and finished it off (I got a critical on the charge attack, did 60 or so HP damage and killed it!!)

For some reason, the Orb gave me unlimited summon Earth Elemental (a bug, I assume), so I always had something to put in front of the balor. Every time I put my fighter up there he died in 2 rounds...

And the ending was AWFUL. No fight, just a movie. I reloaded and tried other dialog choices... no difference. Again, I assume a bug. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but the last parts (elemental nodes and finale) were a HUGE let down.

I guess I stumbled across the easiest way out then. I ended up, somehow or other, down behind Zug's 'throne room' and wound up with my Rogue sneaking up behind her throne and stealing that 'Horde of Gems'. This apparently was the 'key stone' of the spells that bound her in the Temple and thus freed her, although only she would have found a free trip to the Abyss 'freedom' :p

Then of course you get that rolling movie/credits/'where are they now?' spiel. And, since I'd only just started poking around in the Temple itself, and thusly hadn't acutaly met any of the chief NPC's, I had a running list of 'what if's that let me know the various futures of everyone.

Hatchling Dragon

AutoSponge

First Post
In the end I killed the BBEG with only one character. My rogue had great cleave and combat reflexes. I summoned a demon on the opposite side of her so I could flank, he minions surrounded me. Every time one of them attacked, I got an attack of opportunity which allowed me to cleave on the goddess. I think she died on turn 3, maybe 4.

Remove ads