How would you introduce a new plot thread?

How do you introduce a new plot thread?

• The cave complex has a tribe of orcs, and the Duke's daughter is there as well.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Duke offers you a reward to rescue his kidnapped daughter

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • There is a large proclamation in town offering a reward for rescuing the Duke's daughter

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • In the tavern you overhear the Duke's guard discussing a reward

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • While travelling along the road you encounter a site of a recent ambush

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • You encounter a couple of seedy looking characters having a meeting with a bunch of orcs

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Your patron needs to distract the Evil Duke, and asks your party to hire a tribe of Orcs to kidnap h

Votes: 5 14.7%

tjoneslo

First Post
This is a question for both DM's and players. For DM's it's about how would you introduce a new plot for your players to chase down. For players, it's a question of how do you want a new plot thread introduced.
The poll uses the boring example of a duke's daughter kidnapped (by orcs) for ransom, the duke is willing to pay a reward for her rescue.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
At the risk of sounding touchie-feelie: all of the above. It has to be tailored to the group.

The group I'm in now is very gung-ho and enthusiastic. They love D&D. They aren't really great on nuance and subplot though. If I present them with a haunted castle, they spend the night there. They aren't big on working around problems, they tackle them head-on.

Its great because I've DMd a group where there once was a 30 minute discussion on who is sleeping in what bed in the tavern. It really bogged down the game. My current group goes to bed with the windows open and they all hold signs over them saying "Kidnap ME!!"

So, in my old group, I'd have to be direct; they would have to be hired. My current group would only need a wisper of a hint and they'd be off! They might forget to memorize their spells and buy supplies, but they'd be off.

Wombat

First Post
Depends on the group, the game, and all the rest.

I could choose almost any of these options, as well as several others, all depending on who is playing, what the background of the saga is to date, what character types I have, and a couple dozen other options...

diaglo

Adventurer
all of the above.

this sounds awfully like a lot of modules/adventures i've played/read.

WGQ1 Patriots of Ulek 1992 in particular. ;)

Bendris Noulg

First Post
I must concur with the previous replies; Specifics regarding the situation, the campaign, and the party would dictate the whens, wheres and hows.

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
I'd also have to say 'All of the Above', as it really does depend on the target group of players.

Of those listed I liked "While travelling along the road you encounter a site of a recent ambush" the best. It gives the party a chance to be upstanding and lets Rangers shine (yay Tracking!).

A close second would be "Your patron needs to distract the Evil Duke, and asks your party to hire a tribe of Orcs to kidnap his daughter." It reminds me of some good Shadowrun games I ran.

tzor

First Post
I agree with the all of the above (although I voted for what I would do to my current campaign characters) because it really depends on how the characters are. How self motivated are they? How social are they? How pro-active are they?

Take option #2. This has been a common way to railroad a plot hook, but if the characters are socially mobile and do have reasons to associate with the Baron, then this is perfectly fine. If not, then they can be so introduced to the Baron's guards, who might directly or indirectly encourage them, and so forth.

This reminds me of a story I just heard about someone taking his family to a resturant in the city. He was standing at the corner trying to find a sign or something that would indicate where the resturant (a theme resturant) was. His son pointed out that he was standing right under the sign. Plot hooks can be like that as well. Sometimes even the obvious isn't.

Liolel

First Post
Can't give any straight answer because it depends on the group, and the situation. For the example above, I'd only have the duke personally ask the players if they were well know, or this was happening in the middle of nowhere and the players were the only ones that could help. If neither of those were the case, I would say the duke couldn't find an experienced group to rescue his daughter, and that he issues a general proclamation.

The other options I might still use depending on the group. If the group was a bunch of hack and slashers I might just mention to them the cave of orcs. If the group liked to solve problems, then maybe I'd have them come across the ambush site, and see if that sparks their intrest. Or for that type of group they might find out that some seedy humans were meeting with the orcs and see if their interested in figuring out why. The overhearing the guard in the tavern I might use if the group needed a real push to be motivated. The last one about the evil duke, I would use on more roleplaying oriented group who would enjoy convincing the orcs to help them.

diaglo

Adventurer
this also reminds me of the old rumor tables ala Keep on the Borderlands.

give each PC 1 rumor.

so you can introduce multiple rumors based on the same theme. heck, if the duke's daughter was kidnapped by orcs it would be big news in the area. so multiple sources and variations of the theme just confirm or confuse the plot hook. ;)

Last edited:

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Another Possibility: A neighboring Duke's spies report the abduction. In an effort to forge a lasting peace, this Duke recruits the PCs to rescue the daughter and return her to her father in the name of the Dukedome, accepting no reward for her return (rather, the employing Duke will pay the reward in secret himself for political appearances).

Remove ads