D&D 3E/3.5 Zone of Respite (MotP) spell in 3.5e

shilsen

Adventurer
I'm planning to allow some of the spells from the 3e MotP book in my 3.5 planar campaign and was wondering whether I should tweak some of the levels.

Take the Zone of Respite spell, for example. It takes 2 rds to cast and prevents all interplanar intrusion in a large area (30 ft. cube/level) for a period of 10 min./lvl, with no save or SR allowed. No using spells or abilities that access other planes, no summoning or calling spells within the area (though creatures called/summoned outside can enter), etc. The book has it as Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4.

I personally think it's more generally useful and powerful than Dimensional Anchor, which is Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4, so I was thinking of making it Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5. Opinions?

Thanks, in advance.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
The big use of dimensional anchor is to prevent creatures from teleporting away. Zone of Respite doesn't allow that does it?

It makes a good counter-measure to buff/scry/teleport, though, doesn't it?

shilsen

Adventurer
Cheiromancer said:
The big use of dimensional anchor is to prevent creatures from teleporting away. Zone of Respite doesn't allow that does it?

Now that I reread the spell, it seems that the spell only prevents entrance into the area through planar means. Leaving doesn't seem to be affected, unless I'm reading it wrong. That does lower the effectiveness of the spell from an offensive angle (not casting it to prevent foes fleeing) but raises it on the defensive angle (nobody can enter but you can flee if needed to).

It makes a good counter-measure to buff/scry/teleport, though, doesn't it?

That does seem to be one of the primary uses for it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases