[Help me graduate!] Research. X-Files, conspiracy theories, and your experiences?

I'm writing my final paper for college, and if I get it in by 5pm Tuesday, and pass, I get to graduate. Yay.

I need some help with research. It's for a class on conspiracy and paranoia, and how people perceive the world based on their fears or on beliefs that some consider outlandish. As this is a rather cool class, I get to write a final paper about The X-Files.

I want help from those here who were or are fans of the show, and from those who believe in the sorts of conspiracies the show deals with. If you both watched the show and believe in conspiracies, even better. Now, I want to be up front and say that, while I don't think much of the stuff presented on The X-Files is really going on, I'm interested in hearing why others might believe them. Whether you just follow the UFO-based conspiracies, or the government wrongdoing conspiracies, or the Millennium-style cult conspiracies, I want to treat the subject objectively and get the opinions of people with many different beliefs.

If you liked the show, I'd like to just hear your thoughts and opinions on how much truth you think was in the show, and whether your opinion changed during or after the show's run. Did the show increase your interest in these sorts of things, or desensitize you and make you disinterested? Were you interested in some aspects more than others?

If you are a current active believer in any sort of conspiracy theory, I'd also like to hear from you on how you feel the media portrays the topic you believe in. Would you consider your beliefs fringe or mainstream? Do you have any places online where you discuss these topics, or do you know of places where others do?

Please, if you want to say something that might be particularly political or religious, which goes against the policies of these forums, please email at rnock@learnlink.emory.edu.

If it's alright with moderators, I'm going to cross-post this in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum. I'm actually not even sure this would be off-topic, because I'd think it would make interesting reading for all sorts of game topics, if I get enough replies. I'll wait and see, though.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases