College of Metahumans [Closed]

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Here is a more detailed background for my character. I am working on stats but do not have them finished yet. Also, thought maybe I should hold off until I find out if I actually am in the game.

Let me now what you think.

Nuke

Jonn Birkey enjoyed his time in the National Guard. It was honestly the most meaningful thing in his life. He had been through a series of mediocre, low-paying jobs that just did not fulfill him. But the National Guard was different, he was doing something good and useful and in the long run he was helping others. He had thought about joining up full time but just never got around to doing it.

He had just finished his two week summer rotation in Germany and really enjoyed it. His unit had been supporting an Army unit that was stationed there and it was a pretty good time. Better than working as a lifeguard, bouncer or basketball coach. Jonn had started thinking real hard about his life and where he was headed. That is why when he got back to the states he took some time off and rented a car to drive home cross country and think about what he should do about his life.

Of course, half way into the middle of nowhere his rental car broke down and his cell phone had no signal. He decided not to walk since he had no idea how far the next town was and he ended up camping for the night in his car. After a few hours of sleep he woke up to a loud whistling noise. Suddenly, a meteor shot out of the sky and plunged into the earth just a few hundred feet from Jonn and his car. The impact overturned the car and threw Jonn, knocking hm out.

Jonn came to the next day in an Army hospital. The military had sent troops to investigate the crash and they had found Jonn and rushed him back to base. He was given a clean bill of health, having come away with only minor bruises, bumps and scrapes. The army arranged transportation and got Jonn back to the city and back to his normal, everyday life.

A few days later Jonn was working on a construction site trying to figure out why he could not bring himself to enlist full time. It was a great experience and gave him an incredible sense of purpose and belonging. He was brought out of his self reflection by a sudden panic on the job site. A large piece of digging equipment had started to topple off the side of a pit it was working on. Johh froze. He was in shock and had no idea what to do. If only there was something he could do to move the large equipment. Suddenly, the ground seemed to move right before everyone’s eyes! It actually moved up under the digger and supported it! No one could believe it! After all of that Jonn had gotten a massive headache and went home for the day.

He wasn’t sure how but somehow Jonn knew he had moved that dirt back at the work site. Once at his apartment he became desperate to prove he was not going crazy. He went to his apartment window and focused on the upturned sidewalk below. After a few moments, the sidewalk outside the building shifted and flattened itself out. This was unreal!

Jonn immediately packed his things and left for a week of camping. Out in the secluded wilderness, Jonn spent his time learning to control his new powers. He was amazed at what he could now do and the more he worked at it the better he got. The time away also helped clear his thoughts. He realized the sense of belonging and purpose he had been searching for was finally within his grasp.

First thing Jonn did when he got home was to fashion a costume together. A pair of desert camouflage pants and combat boots, a web belt and some equipment pouches, a black t-shirt and weight-lifting gloves finished off by some Oakley ski goggles to keep the dust out of his eyes. Not the best look a super hero had ever had but far from the worst.

After about a month, Jonn had assisted in several major incidents. He had stopped a car-jacking, captured escaped prison inmates, smothered a house fire and a few other cases that quickly got him into the news as a local super hero. The problem was his name. He had started off calling himself Rumble. It sounded pretty cool and tough. But somehow the news decided to call him anything but Rumble. Every time he was in the news they were calling him Quake or Sandrock or Sandblast or Landslide or Avalanche. He had no idea how to fix the problem. He could not recall Superman or Captain America ever being called, “Hey, Mr. Super Guy!”

Aside from his identity crisis, Jonn was enjoying his new role in life. It just made life a little better knowing he had something extra to offer those around him. It did make finding a steady job tough. It wasn’t easy to find a job you could leave at anytime to go stop a bank robbery. He often wondered how all those other heroes managed to make it all look so easy.

That is when he got the envelope. He had no idea where it came from or how anyone found him, but he had the envelope none the less. And what an invitation! A college where he could learn more about his powers with other super powered people. He had never heard of anyone named William Pike however, he was very eager to hear more. Things were finally coming together for him...

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Rybaer: Your character concept is very interesting, but I think it would be quite difficult to work a completely paralyzed person into the story. You are welcome to make adjustments to the character, though, before I start making decisions about who is in.

Nuke261: Neat concept! It would definitely be a good idea to stat him out and post him, though.

Rybaer

First Post
Dark Nemesis said:
Rybaer: Your character concept is very interesting, but I think it would be quite difficult to work a completely paralyzed person into the story. You are welcome to make adjustments to the character, though, before I start making decisions about who is in.

That's cool...thanks for letting me know up front. I'll work up another concept. Might be a day or two.

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Rybaer: Certainly! I won't be making any choices for another few days, so you have time.

PugioilAudacio: I'm choosing players based on the characters and backgrounds they come up with. If you want to throw your hat in and try making a character, you are certainly welcome to!

Acid_crash

First Post
Synchronicity said:
The Movement powers will be Extras too; Alternate Form doesn't have a Movement Effect built into it.

Don't forget that attaching powers as extras makes them 1pp/rank cheaper, to a minimum of one. In other words, it should work something like this:

Extras: Clinging [1 pp/rank] (Movement), Leaping [Power Stunt of Clinging; 2 pp total](Movement), Snare [Power Stunt of Alternate Form; 2 pp total] (Attack); Swinging as Extra of Snare [+1 pp/rank to overall cost of Alternate Form], Super-Dexterity [3 pp/rank] (Ability), Super-Senses [1 pp/rank] (Sensory), Drain - Strength, linked to claws/fangs [Power Stunt of Alternate Form; 2 pp total] (Attack).

So: Alternate Form + ?? (Power Stunts: Drain [Str], Leaping, Snare; Extras: Clinging, Super-Dexterity, Super-Senses, Swinging; Flaws: None; Cost 11 pp/rank +6 pp in Power Stunts.) I *think* that's the way it should work.

If I were you, I'd advise taking Super Dexterity seperately at a lower rank; it really ramps the cost up (from 8 to 11 pp/rank).

Thanks for all of your help to everyone who did help. I know what to do now.

I think I'll go change my background a bit as well.

Mimic

First Post
Got a question, with shapeshift can the character assume the garments of person he is assuming (like the shapeshifter from X1 and X2) or just the form?

Doesn't really matter to me, just would make a difference in my background story.

Rybaer

First Post
Okay, take #2.

Winter Hawk
Appearance: 5'4", 105lbs; long, straight black hair; dark brown eyes; hint of Native American complexion.

Str 10 (+0)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 12 (+1)
Wis 20 (+5)
Cha 14 (+2)

Init +6
Hero Pts 6
Move 30', Astral move 50', Astral sprint 51,200'

Saves:
Dmg +1
Fort +1
Ref +2
Will +10

Base Attack Bonus +2
Melee +2
Ranged +4
Mental +7

Base Defense Bonus +3
Defense 15
Mental 18

Feats: Assessment, Attractive, Heroes' Luck, Improved Initiative, Indomitable Will, Psychic Awareness, All-around Sight (limit: astral form only), Darkvision (limit: astral form only), See Invisible (limit: astral form only).

Skills:
Diplomacy (2) +4/+7
Knowledge: History (focus Native American) (2) +3
Language (Algonquian, English) (1)
Perform (story telling, Menominee dance) (2) +4/+7
Sense Motive (3) +8
Spot (2) +7

Powers:
Astral Projection 10 [Flaw: Slow - 1 full action; source: mystical] (40pts)
Mental Blast 10 [Flaw: Astral form only; source: mystical] (20pts)
Telepathy 6 [Extra: Group link; Flaw: communication only; source: mystical] (12pts)
Amazing Save: Will 5 [source: training] (5pts)
Invoke Totem Spirit (variant Boost: mental stats) 8 [Extra: all attributes; Flaw: requires Hero Point; stunt - physical stats, can't be used concurrently with mental stat boost; source: mystical] (18pts)

Backstory:

My story is a little bit different from that of your typical eighteen year old American girl’s. I am Watching Cloud Rice. Yes, that’s really my name, though most people just call me Cloud. I’m about one-quarter Menominee Indian, and my first name is my mother’s nod toward her cultural heritage.

I grew up in Madison, Wisconsin, a couple hundred miles south of the Menominee Indian reservation and just as far from its cultural influences. My mother gave me a cursory education in tribal lore, but it was mostly lost on me until I was eight years old. That was when I first started spending my summers in northern Wisconsin with my grandparents.

While out fishing one day, I finally asked my grandfather what the name of his pet hawk was. I can’t explain how surprised he was that I could see the hawk, for it was a spirit animal – a totem. My grandfather thought he was the last of a unique bloodline tracing back to the Pe’kiki’kune (Winter Hawk) clan, of the Big Thunder phratry, a line that produced men with the ability to see and speak with the totem spirits. That I, a girl with little of the bloodline, possessed the ability both amazed and encouraged him.

From that day on, we spent our entire summers together. He trained me in the lore of our people – the language, the history, the stories, and the secrets of dreamwalking. In dreamwalking, I surpassed his skill within a month, and never looked back. I was able to send my own spirit out into the world to visit distant places. I could call upon the totem animals to come to my aid. I even learned how to speak directly to the minds of others, something that was beyond my grandfather.

My grandfather, though committed to our people’s heritage, knew full well that it was fading quickly. He passed on what he could in the time he had left in this world, but he had the wisdom to accept that I would have to adapt his teachings for another time and age. He encouraged me to be very careful about who I shared my gifts with. Even my mother, he warned me, had lost sight of what it meant to be a true Menominee, and might not understand these gifts I possessed.

I am Watching Cloud Rice. I am Pe’kiki’kune. I am Winter Hawk. I am Menominee and American. I know who I am and I know there is more to become. I don’t know what this Greenwood Academy is, but I have hopes that it might be the first step on my path.

Plot Hooks:

The world could be rife with spirits that most people never notice. They can be both threats and allies with potentially very unhuman motives.

Her grandfather has just passed away, shortly before her high school graduation. Grandmother may have some secret stash of his lore that she was instructed to give Watching Cloud when he passed away. This could unlock new powers, hint at new threats or immortal enemies, or present even greater mysteries.

Watching Cloud's father, a non-Indian, was responsible for pulling her mother away from the Menominee culture - considering it pagan and uncouth. For this, Watching Cloud has resented him to no small degree, and this resentment grew the more she learned from her grandfather. Should her father learn of her powers, he might lash out at her in fear or turn her over to someone else.

Native American lore is chock full of amazing stories of creatures, spirits, and the forces of the earth. In a comic book world, it is easy to envision the literal truth behind these tales. Plenty of source material to draw upon...history repeating itself in the modern age sort of deal.

A spirit, possibly ancestral, takes affront at Watching Cloud for her willingness to combine ancient teachings and modern trappings. Might even be offended just because she is a girl or non-pure blooded Menominee. Could present continual harassment or, if truly vengeful, support her enemies.

Personality:

Watching Cloud is in many ways a typical American teenager - she has a keen interest in boys, clothes, music, and gossip. On the flip side, she is wise far beyond her years and it shows when she is among her peers. She takes the responsibility of her powers very seriously and considers herself to now be something of a champion for her people and heritage.

Point Breakdown:
Stats - 22
BAB/BDB - 12
Feats - 15
Skills - 6
Powers - 95

Total - 150

Last edited:

Remove ads