Prep Time Vs. Play Time

How does your prep time compare to your play time?

• I generally spend less time on prep than actually playing.

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • I generally spend about the same amount of time on prep than actually playing.

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • I generally spend more time on preparing the night's game than actually playing.

Votes: 31 16.3%
  • I generally spend less time on preparing the night's game than actually playing it, but spend more t

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I generally spend more time on preparing the night's game than actually playing it, and spend more t

Votes: 52 27.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.1%

the Jester

Legend
The 'winging it' thread got me to wondering- dms, how does the amount of time you spend prepping compare to the amount of time you spend actually playing?

WizarDru

Adventurer
In some cases, I may or may not spend a good chunk of prep time developing the campaign, but in general I spend far less time preparing for the game than running it...and most of that is owed to stat-blocks and rules research (or, on when adapting modules, on reading the module itself).

EricNoah

Adventurer
I think it may be somewhere around a 2-to-1 ratio: 8 hours of prep (spread out over a couple of weeks) to get ready for a 4-hour game. A lot of my "prep" though is just thinking -- mulling things over, etc. Another big chunk of my prep is getting stats ready (coming up with a nice menu of monster stats, developing NPC stats, etc.). The rest is kind of putting it together, developing timelines (what happened when, especially important for any kind of mystery or investigative adventure), finding or making a map, etc.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I generally spend less time on preparing the night's game than actually playing it, and I definitely spend less time developing the campaign in general than playing. Even my NPC development for big combats has become abbreviated. Ironically enough, the only big time sink at this point is the story hour; I'm just not a fast writer.

Part of this is having an older campaign with well-established plot threads. A lot of plot writes itself.

derelictjay

Explorer
Most of the time I spend less time on the preparing the night, than the actual game night (my player's would probably kill me if they found out). Though I spend an inordinate amount of time on preparing the campaign in general, why because I'm always looking to improve the setting, giving it more flavor.

Kalendraf

Explorer
For me, the amount of prep time varies heavily depending on whether I'm running something homebrew vs. something published. I try to alternate between those two options in my campaigns, mostly because I just don't have enough time to create every adventure by hand, yet I want to run some of my own material when I can. For the published adventures, I suspect I only need to prep for about 1 hour for 4 hours of play. But when I make my own adventures, those numbers are sometimes reversed, though more likely 2 hours of prep per 1 hour of play.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
At the beginning of a story arc: lots of prep time.

In the middle of a story arc: very little prep time.

Right now, at the beginning of SIX interwoven story arcs: quite a lot of prep time, and even then, I'm often forced to wing things as the PCs don't do what I expect.

-- N

Wombat

First Post
I spend a lot of time working up the campaign world I am going to use. I really enjoy this process. I work on timelines, laws, holidays, manner of dress, foods, monsters, interesting treasures, NPCs (both opponents and just people-in-the-street) and all the rest. If the world is detailed enough, the adventures flow from this.

Thus my prep time for specific adventures is usually much lower as the world is already in place. In fact, if I do enough background prep work, the players discover extra plots in the campaign!

Now that spells gaming goodness to these tired eyes :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases