How often does natural death/disease make an appearance in your game?

ivocaliban

First Post
Zappo said:
I only use them as plot devices. I think I should use them some more, but the availability of Remove Disease makes mundane diseases rather harmless to PCs, so I generally end up ignoring them. They would be very good for added world detail, though (it's not like everyone can afford RD after all).

In my campaign of 6-7th level PCs spending 750gp on a Remove Disease potion to take care of a minor illness would be like a modern day minimum wage worker spending a few thousand dollars for a bottle of NyQuil. Best to visit the local apothecary or druid and try out an herbal tincture for about 1/10 the price or, if you trust in your robust Constitution, just have some broth and stay in bed a day or two.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
Zappo said:
I only use them as plot devices.

For the most part, that sums up my own use. I once developed a plague as a natural part of one campaign, and was pleased that the players took it seriously and tried to help the stricken. It gave them something heroic to do which didn't involve combat.

Thanee

First Post
You like that 'verisimilitude' term, don't you? ;)

Well, I do like a certain degree of realism and believability myself, but these things are usually ignored, or the focus is more put on others.

To the subject-question:

Extremely rare, I'm inclined to say.

Well, natural diseases happen of course, but natural death does really not appear very often.

Bye
Thanee

adwyn

Community Supporter
Mostly disease appears IMC for NPC's, or to explain a PC's inactions when the player is absent.

A few times I have used diseases as a plot device to nudge the players in a certain direction. No more than once every two or three years of real time though, as players in D&D seem to balk at the consept.

S'mon

Legend
I use a moderate level of versimilitude in my 3e campaign, I assume the rules don't define the reality so it's at least theoretically possible to meet people who've lost limbs in battle, say. Disease rarely figures - too easy to cure. Old NPCs occasionally die of old age, this is usually a dramatic event & scenario hook, much moreso than the usual violent killing.

Remove ads