• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Variant Ranger:No Spells

mrmider

First Post
Im trying to make a variant ranger that takes away his spellcasting ability, and im not to sure as to what i should give the class in return.

Any suggestions?

Zero

Liolel

First Post
If you know anyone with the complete warrior, ask to look at it for a few minutes as it has variant ranger and paladins with no spells. The implatation was simple the class gained a new special ability at each level they would get a new level of spells.

Fast Movement (Ex): Maybe at 4th or 8th level (+10 ft.). Or mayybe +5 ft. at 4th-level and another +5 ft. at 12th-level.

Trailblazing (Ex): Reduce the movement penalties for travelling through thick brush and stuff with a Survival check (DC 15, +2 per additional person)... this can make Fast Tracking more useful. (Fast Track lets you track at full speed but this isn't too useful if your party has a cleric with a speed of 20 ft. because he's wearing that heavy armor.)

You might want to replace combat styles with something else, too - there's not much for spear-wielders, grimlocks or gnolls, for instance.

PS: the Complete Warrior of the "spell-less" ranger was a joke. It still came with spells, you just didn't need components for them. Even worse, they got rid of the few flavorful spells (like longstrider) and gave you a spell that lets you Track an opponent without a survival check - so why exactly did you max out Survival again?

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
How about a Ranger-flavoured bonus feat at each level where he would have gained a spell of a new level? I think that's 4th, 8th, 12th, and 16th.

This should prolly be in house rules.

Tetsubo

First Post
mrmider said:
Im trying to make a variant ranger that takes away his spellcasting ability, and im not to sure as to what i should give the class in return.

Any suggestions?

Zero

Take a look at the Iron Kingdom's Ranger. No spells at all. It might be what you are looking for.

I've been working on a spell-less ranger for my campaign setting and have come up with two options.

1. Using the Wildlander from Midnight. It is very nice and has a few special abilities, but no spells.

2. Tweaking the variant ranger Monte Cook made available on his site. I'd take away the spells and up the hit dice to d10 and maybe a few weak rangery abilities.

I still haven't decided which I'll use, but I've always disliked the spell abilities of the ranger.

res

First Post
The varient Ranger for Swashbuckling Adventures allows a ranger to search for Herbs (with a Survival or Profession (Healer) check) that he/she can use to heal small ammounts of damage at Level 3. The Ranger chooses how much damage he wants to heal (x d6's) and rolls a survival check (DC 5 * x) to see if they can find them. (Gained at 3rd or 4th Level)

At 9th level they can search for poisions DC = cost of poision / 10

At 18th level they get poison use.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Caspian Moon Prince said:
I've been working on a spell-less ranger for my campaign setting and have come up with two options.

1. Using the Wildlander from Midnight. It is very nice and has a few special abilities, but no spells.

2. Tweaking the variant ranger Monte Cook made available on his site. I'd take away the spells and up the hit dice to d10 and maybe a few weak rangery abilities.

I still haven't decided which I'll use, but I've always disliked the spell abilities of the ranger.

I'm actually gonna rework the ranger for my campaign as well and was giving serious thought to either using the Wildlander or at least basing mine off of it. It is very well done.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think that trading out the spells for two out of the following three barbarian abilities would be sound.

a) fast movement

b) uncanny dodge

c) damage resistance.

Probably (a) and (c).

Grazzt said:
I'm actually gonna rework the ranger for my campaign as well and was giving serious thought to either using the Wildlander or at least basing mine off of it. It is very well done.

Like all gathered here, I have disliked the spell-use ability for the Ranger and for the Paladin. Perhaps it will be real useful if those who have managed to craft something to provide those interested with a copy of their work of art. What say you? In the mean time if anyone has access to a spell-less ranger or paladin class, i would be most grateful if you could direct me to the website or provide me with a copy of the class. Thank u!! :D

Remove ads