Describing Magical Weapon Properties

elbandit

First Post
In your games how does the DM describe a magiacl wepaon for sale at a magic shop? Does he/she just come out and have the merchant say "This is a +4 Vorporal Loingsword"? Or does he/she describe it differently... maybe relating the + to circles... or something?

dead

Explorer
For a time I was saying:

"This sword is four times enchanted" (ie. +4 sword). This soon got tiresome. Not to mention the fact that *enchanted* isn't really the right terminology.

It's easy enough to describe special features like the Vorpal part. You could say: "This sword, Head-Seeker, has a blade with an infinitely sharp edge" or some such. What I have difficulty in describing is the *plusses* of a weapon.

I'm very interested to see how people deal with this too, El Bandit.

Last edited:

sjmiller

Explorer
elbandit said:
In your games how does the DM describe a magiacl wepaon for sale at a magic shop? Does he/she just come out and have the merchant say "This is a +4 Vorporal Loingsword"? Or does he/she describe it differently... maybe relating the + to circles... or something?
Well, being the DM in my game, I can easily answer this. I do not have "magic shops" in my game. I do not subscribe to the philosophy that magic items are so plentiful that there are stores that sell anything and everything magical.

If a player does not actually make the magic weapon, then I tell them what they can discover using Detect Magic. Untill they actually attempt to use Identify they will not know what the pluses on a weapon would be. I keep track of it and use the information appropriately.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
In game, I usually am more metaphoric. Out of Game, I explain weapon properties. Usually though people learn as they go with the weapon. Especially since no one BUYS weapons in my games. :p

SteelDraco

First Post
This was the inventory list for the magic shop that the PCs had access to in my last game. This was in a mage's guild in Waterdeep, by the way, which should help clear up a few of the references.

As you enter the shop, you notice a large sign tacked to the door of the place. It reads :
As a service to our customers, this shop is constantly on the look-out for any type of magical artifact, for study or sale. Talk to the shopkeeper about consignment options, as well as pricing information on items sold to the shop. Further, we are always looking for people willing to devote the time and effort to make frequently-sold items (such as potions and scrolls). Talk to Sniffles about this, if you?re interested.

Potion of Healing
This potion is clearly labeled with a rune that means ?healing?. It is in a stoppered steel vial, very resistant to unintended leakage or breaking. A simple placard in front of it says simply :
50 gold crowns

Potion of Extra-Healing
Similar to the other healing potion, this sealed steel vial has the same rune, with a superlative mark over it. The small placard in front of it reads
This is a powerful healing potion, made from the blood of a troll and infused with the energies of potent magical spells. 200 gold crowns.

Potion of Clarity
This is a simple steel vial, like most of the others in the case. The rune on this one reads simply ?mind?.
This magical elixir stimulates memory, calling to the fore many tidbits of forgotten knowledge. When the potion is drunk, the user is temporarily stunned for a few moments, leaving him or her vulnerable to attack. After this period, a piece of information relating to a current quandary is usually dredged from the back of the drinker?s mind, thus making this a valuable item. It sells for 200 gold crowns.

Acid Arrows
These arrows are tipped with a large tooth, which you conclude to be from some sort of dragon. The fletchings are of an unusual feather, dark green in color. There are small runes lining the shaft, starting about six inches from the arrowhead. There are ten of the arrows, along with a black leather quiver. A small placard placed in front of the arrows reads :
These arrows, when fired, secrete a powerful acid that eats away the target. They are very useful for combating regenerating horrors, such as the trolls that pervade the areas to the northeast. Each arrow is consumed upon firing, regardless of whether or not it finds its target. 500 gold crowns for each quiver full of arrows.

Explosive Arrow
This is an odd looking arrow. The shaft is of oak, carved with many red runes. The tip of the arrow seems to be obsidian, and the feathers are much larger than normal arrows, and seem to be from a red-gold bird. They seem to shine in the light of the shop.
When fired, these arrows turn into a bolt of flame, and explode upon striking a solid object, as if that point was the target of a fireball incantation. Quite handy for taking out large numbers of weak opponents, though I recommend you take care that none of your friends are in the blast radius. The item sells for 750 crowns. I do, of course, have more in the back, should anyone want more than one of the things.

Elixir of Health
Like the other potions in the display case, this steel bottle is labeled with a rune in the tongue of magic, this one meaning ?good health?. The placard resting in front of the vial reads :
This elixir is a cure for many ailments, such as disease, poison, and mental derangement. Remember always that it is only a cure for ailments ? it will not knit wounds! This potion sells for 1,000 gold crowns.

Yarindel?s Gloves of Skilled Magic
These gloves are a pair of fine kidskin gloves, without fingers. They go halfway up the forearm, and seem to be sized for a human or elf. There is a circle of small rubies in the palm, and a small glyph on the back of the hand, which can roughly be translated as ?accuracy?. A small placard rests in front of the gloves. It reads :
These magical gloves were created by the wizardess Yarindell in the year 1043 DR. They were enchanted to increase the accuracy of spells with a directed ray element, making the ray less likely to miss. They do this by improving the magical flow, as well as subconsciously aiming the wearer?s hand towards the intended target. 1,000 gold crowns for the pair.

Amulet of Mental Protection
This small amulet is crafted from a dark, lusterless metal ? you look at it for a few moments before you realize with a start that the item is crafted from lead. It is shaped like an equilateral triangle, perhaps an inch and a half on a side. Magical runes line the sides of the triangle, surrounding the small emerald set into the center of the device. A small placard rests in front of the amulet. It reads :
This item was crafted in 1346 DR by the wizard Sirion the Dark (former mage of the Zhentarim). It was intended to aid him in a feud with a competitor, who was known to use the powers of the mind. The amulet provides the wearer a significant boost in his innate mental defenses, making him much harder to affect with all manner of abilities that influence or probe his mind. Such resistance apparently did little to protect the creator of this amulet, however ? this amulet, along with the rest of his magical possessions, were found along with a pile of dust in the Alley of Shadows in 1348 DR. 1,250 gold crowns.

Ring of Protection
The display case contains several small, nondescript silver rings, each with fine runes etched onto the inside edge. The runes are clearly of the abjuration school, indicating these rings are some sorts of protective devices. There is a small placard placed in front of the rings. It reads :
These magical rings make the wearer harder to injure by surrounding him or her with a magical field that deflects incoming attacks. Most of these were crafted by students of the Art as part of their Order membership dues ? they have been extensively tested, insuring that they are perfectly functional. They vary slightly in power; those using more advanced runes in the crafting of the ring create a slightly more powerful magical field. The two with rubies use relatively simple runes; each of these can be bought for 1,500 gold crowns. The one with the beljuril uses considerably more advanced magics; that one sells for 25,000 pieces of gold.

Traveler's Pack
This appears to be a worn traveler's pack. The leather is shiny, as if it has seen many years of abuse. It seems to be very sturdy, however, and doesn't have any holes or stains on it. For some reason, it looks like it would hang quite comfortably on your back. The small placard in front of it reads :
This item is a boon to any who travels extensively. It was created by Kaloran Far-Wanderer, a servant of Mielikki, about thirty years ago. The pack holds much more than it appears to, similar in effect to a bag of holding. It can produce any item it currently contains with a word, and the item named is always the first you grab when you reach into the pack. In addition, the pack produces enough food and water to feed a single person each day. The wearer of the backpack must simply reach in and say 'food' to pull out a packet of nutritious, if bland, waybread, nuts, and dried meats. The command 'water' similarly produces a full waterskin. If these items are not replaced in the pack, the pack stops producing food until they are. It sells for 3,000 crowns.

Wand of Magic Missiles
This wand is a simple, slender metal rod, topped with a small ruby. The metal is unmarked, as is the ruby. A small placard rests in front of the item.
This wand was created for Order membership dues by Sagara of the Blackflame. It has been extensively tested, and works perfectly. Upon command, it releases three magical bolts of force, as the simple spell commonly referred to as ?Magic Missile?. This wand has been partially depleted by the experimentation process. 3,000 gold crowns.

Ertai's Last Chance
This long sword looks like a fairly standard blade - everbright steel, of fine elven make. The hilt is wrapped in fine leather, and the blade is largely unornamented.
This sword came to us from its maker, who has retired from active adventuring, and found that she needed a bit of cash to pay off some debts. The weapon is enchanted to heal the wielder if he's in dire need, although the ability will only function a limited number of times before it's gone. At the moment, the item has less than twenty such uses remaining. Asking price is 3,500 gold crowns.

Talisman of Good Fortune
This item is simply a blank coin - the holy symbol of the goddess of luck, Tymora. The metal seems to be platinum, although you?re not entirely sure ? it seems to flash in an unusual manner as you examine the item. The placard placed in front of it reads :
This powerful item increases the luck of whoever carries it. While tangible benefits are difficult to weigh in such matters, those who have carried the coin seem to have frequently benefited from the item. However, this is no guarantee ? the item was paid as Order dues by Alyavin the Lucky, a mage who lost the majority of his holdings at the House of the Laughing Coin, a local gambling establishment. 4,000 gold crowns.

Wand of Skeleton Summoning
By all appearances, this appears to be a wand carved from bone. It is about a foot and a half long, unmarked along most of its length. At one end, a series of very fine runes surround an onyx, perhaps a half-inch long. The runes seem to throb ever so slightly with a dull, red glow. A small placard is placed in front of the wand. It reads :
This wand was found, along with the Amulet of Mental Protection, with the remains of the Zhentish mage Sirion the Dark in 1348. It is used to summon aid, in the form of a small group of skeletal warriors. The skeletons summoned are significantly larger than a normal human (about 9? tall), and claw their way out of the ground when the item is used. Anywhere from two to five of the creatures appears each time the device is activated, although the first group must disappear before the wand can be activated again. The summoned skeletons last one minute before disintegrating to ash once more. This item will only function a limited number of times before its magic is exhausted. 5,000 gold crowns

Rod of Illumination
This slender golden rod is topped with an eight-sided rose quartz. It is about a foot and a half long, and the butt of the item has a small symbol of Lathander carved into it. There is a small placard placed in front of the rod, and it reads :
This Rod of Illumination was crafted in the year 1314 DR by the sorcerer Nariel of Lathander. It was donated in return for the fireproofing of the Spires of the Morning temple, in 1313 DR. This device has three functions : first, it glows with a bright light whenever held aloft and the word ?alathra? is spoken. This drains no energy from the rod. Second, it is capable of firing a ray of lucent energy, causing serious damage to all creatures, particularly members of the undead. This does drain a measure of energy from the item. Third, it is capable of releasing a burst of light equivalent to the rays of the morning sun. This has a chance of blinding all creatures in the area temporarily, as well as causing serious damage to all undead in the area. 9,000 gold crowns

War Cloak
This dark grey cloak is woven with intricate silver and mithril runes. It is weighted, to provide some additional protection while in combat. The item seems to be elven in origin. The small placard in front of it reads :
This war cloak was created by drow. It is commonly found on drow wizards, which is how it found its way here. It offers protection against physical attacks, and is enchanted to increase your resistance against many magical attacks as well. Quite a handy little item, all in all. 11,500 gp.

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
sjmiller said:
Well, being the DM in my game, I can easily answer this. I do not have "magic shops" in my game. I do not subscribe to the philosophy that magic items are so plentiful that there are stores that sell anything and everything magical.

If a player does not actually make the magic weapon, then I tell them what they can discover using Detect Magic. Untill they actually attempt to use Identify they will not know what the pluses on a weapon would be. I keep track of it and use the information appropriately.

That's it- I'm moving to Minnesota. When's the next session? I'm in. I get so bored with buying anything and everything at the store- it just takes all the magic out of magic items.

In my opinion...

"Hey, I have 8,000!! Sweet!! +2 longsword, here I come!!" If you often find yourself saying things like this, then your DM is robbing you of a very enjoyable part of the game. Sure, there might be a guy here and there who stocks maybe a few random things, but I just find it totally un-fun to keep playing the same old canned characters. It's much more interesting to have to find a use for what you can find, to come across unique items, goofy items- even cursed items. In this type of game, you really learn to appreciate the stuff you've earned that you can actually use. Isn't it just cool to imagine a fighter wielding a +3 Trident that heals 3d8 points of damage once a day or something instead of the standard +2 Greatsword? If I wanted to play a game out of a box, I'd be moving my horse onto Boardwalk right now...

GM Iago

First Post
I think magic weapons should definately be something very personal. Even regular magical items such as potions shouldn't be bought with money but given as rewards or helpers in the hero's journies. This generally helps keep them on their toes with NPC's. Of course, my players are usually well-behaved and not greedy.

Of course, this has also made them grown fat on me at times. I don't give them much by they do come to expect them. Its nice then to just keep magical items from them (and taking away some of their old magical items).

On that note, I don't think it should be a problem to purchase a sword if that it what a PC wants to do. Nonetheless, it won't be easy. I'd make it an adventure to find the person willing/able to actually sell the blade and then give it some backstory where someone else wants the blade too.

Gotta have fun with it.

Back to the original topic though: descriptions.

I'll usually describe a weapon's properties when the PC's use it but won't give them direct info about it until they use or get someone who can use an Identify spell. I also house rule that a library or someone with a good knowledge skill can tell the PC's about the weapon and (with a good roll) they can get the weapon info.

For nonweapons they're often on their own. Depending on the item I give them a Spellcraft or Knowledge (arcana) check to use (or accidentally use depending on if they're trying to use it or not). It can have some great results. If the PC's are talking about trying to impersonate someone while wearing a Ring that mimics an transformation spell, then they might find themselves suddenly looking like that person.

Just me and trying to have some fun while dropping hints.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
This is where all those skills come in... ;)

Yes, my lord, I have the sword you are looking for right over here. It was made for Conan but he never did come back around to pick it up, look at this workmanship, feel its wieght and balance, that blade can cut clean through an orc. Oh, yes my lord it is very magical, I had a wizard check it out, here is the certification from the guild, says highly magical not for use by children, do not climb latters with blade unseathed, not for use as an kitchen appliance...

Glad you like it sir, oh, it is a steal at 2000 gp...okay...I will let it go at 1750...

I really do not let my players know what they are getting until they start using it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases