Into the Icy Darkness II: The Next Generation

There's going to be a slight pause int he story while I prep and the like for a one-shot I'm going to be doing next week. That story will get posted should the players wish it. If it is, it will be in a different thread.

Had a couple minutes, so here is another update...

=====================================

A cold draft whispered through the air, rustling and slipping through Vintressa’s hair, chilling her head and making her shiver slightly on the red velvet of the Imperial throne.

Part of her mind still did not comprehend what had actually happened, even as the nobles and heads of major institutions in the capital all knelt, swearing loyalty. I’m Regent, her mind numbly muttered.

The Emperor had left the city not hours before, at the head of a second column of troops, headed towards the east. Before he left the palace, Vintressa had watched him sign a proclamation proclaiming her Regent in his absence, charged with affairs of state and security of Iskeldrun. Of course the Council was still here, and somewhere in the palace depths Royukgan’s brain could be pecked for assistance.

Nonetheless, at this very moment, Vintressa felt alone.

Before her lay hundreds of dignitaries and representatives. Many were from noble families. Some were from major organizations and Guilds. And finally, many were the highest priests of the multitude of religions within the city and the Empire.

One by one, the major dignitaries came to the front to kiss her signet ring, and she tried to keep their names and positions straight.

Count Wazen, Grand Leader of the Jeweler’s Guild... High Praetor... oh no... what is the name of the High Praetor!? As the man kissed her hand, she gave him a vague thanks, deftly avoiding his name. That slight hiccup out of the way, she easily recalled the Chief Mage at the Academy, and the Holy Healer of Honoria...

Just behind that priestess, clad in her demure robes, was an unusual figure. Unlike the others, clad in fine robes and suits for the most part, this man was clad in brilliant battle armor, shined to a silvery sheen. From his hip hung a large, beautifully gilt sword. For a second Vintressa was perplexed as to why someone so armored was allowed into the Throne Room... until she saw the small gilt motifs of a hand clenching a bolt of lightning emblazoned on the man’s breastplate.

She smiled slightly at the High Righteous Commander, the highest officer in the Church of Hieroneous. There is someone we can count as a friend... or can we?

Since her parents’ ascension to the throne, the Church of Hieroneous had gained much influence and strength. In some quarters, it was openly talked that Hieroneous was starting to replace Tarantor as the state religion... talk that the Emperor and Empress did not back. However, they did not discourage such talk either.

The religious disagreements between a Hieroneous loyal Imperial family and a Tarantor loyal nobility was one of the disagreements that helped drive the first rebellions early on... and even as this latest attempted coup played out, Vintressa would normally think that Hieroneous’ followers would be a steadfast ally.

Until she found out about the rogue paladin Evermyn. Hieroneous paladins were famed for their dedication to their order, and whatever promises or oaths they had taken. Yet Evermyn had broken oaths she had given to Tess’ organization, and vanished after that drow and the Erelion children. It was not like a paladin to suddenly turn rogue...

...unless she had recieved orders from the Church of Hieroneous to do so.

At least that is what Vintressa was reasoning.

“The followers of the Valorous Might shall always be loyal to the throne,” the armor clad man bowed graciously, taking Vintressa’s proffed hand. She gently touched his hand, a gesture asking him to look up.

“High Commander,” she said quietly, hoping it was the correct title, “my family has always counted on you for support. And in this time of need, we shall need your backing even more,” she flashed her eyes towards one of the side doors. The war priest nodded at her unspoken message, and disappeared off to the right with the other dignitaries that were leaving.

About an hour later, Vintressa walked into one of the private side drawing rooms, where the same priest now sat cross-legged on the floor, despite the plethora of comfortable chairs around him. Despite being an honored guest who could ask for any food or drink he desired, no plate or cup was in sight.

“High Commander, I am pleased to see you understood my message,” Vintressa smiled, offering a hand to lift him from his apparently uncomfortable position. To her surprise, the holy warrior merely looked up, and spoke, not even recognizing her gesture.

“I understand in this dark hour House Caladron needs as many allies as possible,” he bowed his head slightly. “Your family has done many things for our cause, and we consider it the least of our abilities to offer to repay your kindness in whatever way possible.”

“Well,” Vintressa took a seat in a chair opposite the kneeling priest. How do I ask about this Evermyn? Its not normal for someone to pry as to who is and who is not in the ranks of Hieroneous’ holy warriors...

“Tell me about the paladin named Evermyn,” she said evenly, borrowing a page from Valaron’s book. If all else fails... blunt and direct speech can sometimes work...
She saw the high priest in front of her shift ever so slightly... a movement made in unease.

“Why does Your Excellent Highness inquire about our ranks? Your Excellent Highness knows it is traditional that the Empire does not meddle into the internal affairs of the major religions within her...” the man recited respectfully, verbatim, the dogma of Emperors for hundreds of years. Don’t meddle with the religions, unless they meddle excessively in politics.

“One of your paladins, named Evermyn, has information closely relating to the conspiracy to attack the Empress. She is missing,” Vintressa launched onward. If I’m going to start blunt, I should just keep going...

At this, the high priest twitched slightly. He has heard of her, Vintressa reasoned.

“Evermyn,” the High Commander started slowly, “was not a full part of the Brotherhood of the Valiant.” The man’s eyes looked up towards Vintressa slightly, before suddenly resuming their previous position of looking to the ground.

“Continue, High Commander,” Vintressa said briefly.

“She was not admitted,” the priest guessed her unspoken question, “because she still had... issues.”

“What kind of issues?” Vintressa said, allowing some exasperation to get into her voice. Drawing this out of him is almost as tedious as trying to study for one of Aegrifyr’s examinations...

“She had a great deal of anger... anger which she could not control. The Path of the Valiant requires one to control one’s emotions, to use anger in a righteous manner for the betterment of all,” the priest said uncertainly. “She showed all the combat prowess needed to be part of The Brotherhood, but not the mental prowess. She was no paladin... merely a priest.”

“Where is she now?”

“She announced a few days ago to the others in the Temple that she was off on a mission to prove her worthiness, to show her capability at being a member of the Brotherhood. A quest,” the High Commander explained. “Adepts and Priests usually undertake one of their own choosing before being admitted to the brotherhood of paladins. We have heard nothing of her since.”

Vintressa’s mind, eyes, ears, and even nose attempted to find some trace of untruth in the man’s movements, his eyes, his body language. His eyes were filled with confusion, and most importantly, no deception.

He tells the truth, she decided. So it is apparent she DID go rogue... something that can be explained because she wasn’t a full paladin. So she also lied to Aunt Tess’ people. Could she be that dedicated to anger or vengeance? And if so... how did she get so far as to be a priest of Hieroneous with that much unchecked anger and fury in her heart?

“Are you aware of Evermyn’s background?” Vintressa asked quietly.

“Of course,” the High Commander gave a short laugh of shock at being asked such a question. “She was born to parents who died in a disease outbreak. She was saved by several of our healers, and raised in the Temple!”

Disease outbreak? Vintressa asked, her mind confused. Then, she realized something. It would be an easy way to explain away bodies who looked to have been boiled alive. Such a death to the uninitiated could easily appear to be one caused by one of the many diseases that consume the flesh.

But why would the Church keep a public story of her background? Why would they not say outright where she came from... what happened to her parents?

“That is not the background I heard,” Vintressa responded coolly. “Her parents were boiled alive by a priest of Vecna.” Vintressa watched the High Commander shift uneasily yet again... a sign she’d hit a nerve.

“How did Your Excellent Highness know such information?” the priest asked quietly.

“Evermyn told an associate of mine,” Vintressa did not mention Tess or her organization at all. At that statement, a small gasp came from the priest.

“She was not supposed to know...” he said, his voice trailing off. After a few seconds, when his eyes nervously looked up at her, he saw she was still glaring down at him.

“We felt that she had great potential to do good... potential that might not be realized if she knew her true background. If she knew what happened to her parents, she, like most people, would have become enraged, and focused on vengeance...”

“Which is what appears to have happened, High Commander,” Vintressa replied. “Someone told her the true story of her background, and now she has run amok!” the princess snapped.

She then looked down, and saw the priest of Hieroneous looking up at her, concern and worry in his eyes. Concern for his errant sister, concern at what the Regent’s anger would portend for his faith. Reading this, Vintressa gave a deep breath, and let her face relax.

“Be at ease, High Commander. I did not ask you here to castigate you. I asked you here to find out more information, and ask for your assistance in tracking down your wayward sister.”

Valaron, covered in a mundane cloak, strode through the streets of Kulloden, his mind in mixed emotions. He resisted the urge to run a hand along his face, to confirm that it was the same... that there were no warts or the like. He managed to catch himself in time to change his gentle touch to his face into a rough scratch... something that would fit in with the crowds moving through the streets this day.

I know I have magic in my veins, and I’ve seen magic before, but I didn’t know those at the Academy only a few years could do this! his shocked mind still thought in wonder.

Behind him, Raven, also clad in a similar dirty brown cloak, had to resist a different urge; the urge to chuckle. Alter self was one of the easiest spells she’d learned, and Valaron’s confused and shocked response to her work on his disguise was well worth the small pinch of components required. While it would be easy for someone searching for a disguise to see that Valaron was not the old crone he appeared to be, none would suspect the disguised creature underneath was actually the Crown Prince!

“I think I might have done too good a job there, Valaron,” she said with a quiet laugh. “How are you going to meet your friends now?”

It was a legitimate question. While Raven was not sure of rank and the like, she did know that both Harrapias and Hidalas were major members of the churches of Hieroneous and Tarantor respectively. And while high priests might have eagerly jumped to meet the Crown Prince, she was not so sure if they would be as eager or able to meet an unknown, old crone...

“I have the ring,” Valaron replied in equally quiet tones.

Raven gave a nod in understanding. No matter how dilapidated a crone, if that old witch bore a signet ring from the Imperial family, they were someone of immediate importance.

The two continued up the streets and alleys of Kulloden, gradually going into wealthier and more well to do neighborhoods. Finally, some twenty minutes after they had left the inn behind earlier that morn, they arrived in a massive plaza, its white brick streets dominated by a massive central obelisk, and the hulking forms of the city temples to the three largest religions in the Empire; Tarantor, Hieroneous, and Pelor.

“Aunt Tess said that Harrapias will be there,” Val motioned towards the northernmost of the three temples, its columns like marble blades, “...and that Hidalas will be there,” he nodded towards the Tarantor temple.

“Well, if I tell the acolytes in the Hieroneous temple who I am, they will most certainly let me see Brother Hidalas,” Raven offered, only to be met with a disapproving scowl from the face underneath Val’s hood.

“I’ll head inside the Temple to Hieroneous first,” Val said directly, “You keep watch outside, and run in if you see anything suspicious.” When he saw Raven’s eyebrow raise in annoyance at her menial role in his plan, he gave a growl. “It’s better than you letting some acolyte know we’re here, so our cover will be blown!”

Valaron Caladron, Prince of the Empire, walked into the great halls of the Kulloden Temple to Hieroneous of Valor. Instead of the immediate bows of reverance, he recieved bows of respect from young acolytes towards what to them appeared to be an elder, come to pay her respects to Valor Incarnate before age and time claimed her elderly form.

Once again, Val was thankful for Raven’s work on his disguise as he looked about the ‘Path of Victory’ beyond the Temple gate, that led towards the main Temple entrance proper. To either side of the wide boulevard hung the trophies of a struggle long gone by. Massive dragon scales were erected on pillars alongside the route, as well as the broken banners of orc and gnoll hordes.

As he drew closer to the temple entrance, he could see the massive wall beyond the marble columns decorating its front. Its marble face was covered with frescoes depicting the finest hour of the paladins of this temple; They climbed over the red walls of a city, blades upraised, leading rank upon rank of troops Valaron recognized as troops of the regular Imperial army. Not too far away, a dark, foreboding palace loomed, blue and red lightning arcing to its rooftop.

Sictri et Tyrpan, Balan Sul read the massive inscription above the fresco, and while Val was not one too keen on lanugages, he did recognize this piece of Celestial writing.

”With Faith and Heart, Truimph is Certain”

“May I help you, madam?” a pleasant voice interrupted Valaron’s gawking. The prince turned slowly, and found himself facing a smiling man, clad in the robes of not an acolyte, but a lesser priest... one who was approaching entering the brotherhood of paladins himself.

“Yes,” Valaron said, still surprised by the way his voice came out as a croak. “I have special tidings for one of your number,” he said quickly. This part hadn’t been planned out, and Val was operating on instinct. “Is Brother Harrapias here?”

The priest smiled with a slight chuckle Valaron didn’t understand at first. For a few seconds, the prince feared he might have been discovered, until the priest spoke again.

“Yes... Commander Harrapias is here,” the priest chuckled. “Madam, it must have been quite a while since you have visited our temple... Harrapias has been our High Priest and Commander for some twenty years now!”

“Oh,” Valaron said, recovering as fast as he could, “Why yes. It has been quite a while.” Perhaps I can see him without flashing my signet ring?

“Were you once one of the brotherhood yourself, madam?” the priest pressed, not acceding to Val’s request, “You must have been one to have known Commander Harrapias!”

Is he testing me? Val wondered as his mind stumbled for a response. Finally, he blurted out, “Yes, indeed. I rode with the paladins in the rebellions some sixteen years ago!” Val, what did you just do? You lied to a priest of your patron god! Idiot!

Ah... too late now. If I’m going to lie to a priest, I might was well lie about something I know a little about, I guess!

“Ah,” the priest folded his arms, and raised an eyebrow in question, “so you must’ve rode with the Emperor in the procession through Iskeldrun after the end of the rebellion. That was quite a sight... especially considering at the time there were only five women admitted to the Brotherhood. Which one were you? Estrella?”

“Um... yes... I was Estrella,” Val said uncertainly, his voice raising in pitch, the tone hopeful as he finished his most recent lie. Instead his hope was crushed, as the priest glowered.

“Estrella Myrmachis was killed before the walls of Holstean, before the parade,” the priest growled. “You have some explaining to do, considering that you have some kind of magic based disguise on!” Gently, but with a distant backing of command, he took Val’s arm. “Follow me, please.”

Fine, I tried being nice, Val sighed, before showing his left hand, the silver dragon ring of House Caladron catching parts of the still morning sunlight.

“That will not be necessary,” he croaked to the priest, whose face had by that point fallen.

Now I can see why Vintressa gets so annoyed with him sometimes, Raven moped outside the temple a few minutes after Valaron went inside. She looked up and down the Temple plaza, to some of the places she’d heard stories of since her childhood.

Great fighters live within those walls, her father had told her once, and she knew that many of the heroes of Demon Rebellion came from these very buildings. In her youth, it had made her swell with hometown pride that such renowned people came from where she lived.

Now we might just have to call on them again, she reflected, glancing up into the crowd. None looked at her... the few that looked in her direction were those headed into the Hieroneous temple for the morning services, or those seeking absolution. However, one set of eyes suddenly caught hers, causing her breath to stop.

Rose Dice stopped walking, and stared at the person leaning on the wall in front of the Hieroneous Temple. For a second, underneath the hood, she caught a set of deep green eyes, and a tendril of black hair handing in front of the woman’s forehead.

Nah, couldn’t be, Rose shook her head, before moving on. Raven’s in Iskeldrun still! The girl gave a short laugh at her own silliness. Probably a paladin returning from a secret mission... or more than likely, something far more mundane.

Another set of eyes also watched the girl in front of the Hieroneous temple. If it hadn’t been for the Dice girl in the crowd staring at the brown cloaked woman by the temple wall, Hemmel might not have caught her. Now, his curiosity was piqued.

Who is that there? Someone that might be of importance if Rose... Rose is her name, yes... stared at her so. Perhaps a long lost friend? A lover?

A source of information?

Hemmel changed direction from his previous course towards the Plaza of Guilds towards the Temple of Tarantor. While he would not be headed directly towards the woman that interested him, the course would bring him close by her...

...close enough to confirm a suspicion.

As he drew nearer, he noticed his quarry kept looking nervously back towards the temple... as if she was waiting for someone.

Someone talking to a Temple elder, perhaps? Hemmel’s mind reasoned.

It was not long before the woman’s glance flecked the crowd, her face passing, just for a moment, within his view.

It was enough for him.

Tesseron Keldare gave a slight sigh as familiar rocks crunched underneath her feet. To her left, the mighty Inerman River, which flowed two thousand miles away to the sea, trickled by as little more than a rambunctious stream. On either side, massive whitewashed cliffs rose, beautiful as if taken from an artists painting.

So many memories begin here, Tess thought back. If it hadn’t been for a little side job I had taken sixteen years ago...

If she hadn’t needed that money, she would not have met Pellaron. There would be no organization. In all likelihood, she would still be plying the Valley circuit, shuffling between Irulas, Kulloden, Holstean, Obash and Santriplas, as a well-known, but not famous, singer. She would have never met Siabrey, or Lucius, or Shaun and Elenya.

As she walked further, she came upon the same open cave in the cliff face that she, Siabrey, an old cleric named Dingalas and a future traitor named Rogar had nervously stepped into, searching for the lost Lord Lucius.

She clambered up the rough stone steps, looking to the side. The tree where they had tied up the goblin informant was still there, though dying. Just after the entrance, she brushed aside a few cobwebs... to her relief.

Well, if they came in here... they didn’t walk in, Tess smiled to herself. Then she remembered how she’d gotten so far in a day. If one was good at teleportation, one could in theory, teleport through rock. Tess did not trust herself that much yet.

Carefully she checked the chambers that, so many years before, they had ransacked looking for the lost prince. The brittle, well worn skeletons of the goblins slain within the chambers, as well as the dusty forms of the mummies put to rest, were still there, undisturbed.

Satisfied, she closed her eyes and sighed.

Now begins the vigil... she thought quietly. The next three days would be lonely for her, but that is how long it would take to get a half-regiment of troops to the Caladron family tombs from Holstean. Someone in the meantime needed to make sure that Elsidor couldn’t get to these bodies, if his intent was to raise a Caladron to fetch the Fire Stone.

And not much can happen to Valaron and Raven... Kulloden is her hometown. And if I know her father, he probably showed her all the secret culverts and hiding places in that city...

“Look yonder, Simeon,” the young noble heard the same deep, frighteningly friendly voice speak. “Therein lies your doom, young man.”

It had been seemingly days since the young man had first felt the jostling, nauseating flash of natural, unrestricted teleportation, thanks to Elsidor and his companions. The six had been infuriated that their spell had gone awry, placing them several days off course, and two had taken it out on Simeon, kicking him down when he whined or groaned.

For the previous two days... or so Simeon guessed... he had been forced to march in what resembled a portable set of stocks, locking his arms in place. It was extremely painful, and Elsidor’s companions always threatened to tighten its grip, causing even more pain, unless the boy cooperated fully, and without question.

Elsidor has not been threatening to me, Simeon’s battered mind rambled as he felt the drow’s hand gently lift his head up. Ahead, through the trees, Simeon’s tired eyes could make out whitewashed heights.

“It will be over soon,” Elsidor’s voice said reassuringly in the boy’s ear. “Soon there will be no bindings on your arms, and you will be free...”

“And by that time, you will be begging for release from your mortals coils,” the drow added beneath his breath.

“So, what is so special about a ‘paladin’ running about? They are warriors, are they not?” Royukgan asked in confusion. Vintressa shook her head, and cleared her throat. The High Commander of Hieroneous had left several hours before, and Vintressa was hoping she could bounce ideas off her beau’s mind.

“No... paladins are sworn to a certain religion, vowing to do their deity’s work on this world,” she started to explain. She gave a slight smile when Royukgan’s face lit up in recognition.

“Oh... like an order of fighting monks then?” the foreign prince asked. When Vintressa nodded yes, he nodded in understanding. “So, this... Evermyn... broke all the bonds of her order? Ah... I see how it was so unusual.”

“Yes... and unfortunately she managed to disappear into the woodwork, just like the Erelion children,” Vintressa added sourly. After Tesseron had reported what she knew about Evermyn, the city security people had been notified. Even now, they knew nothing, save a few people of that description broke into the now dead goblin Chamoval’s antique shop.

If we can find her and follow her, she’ll lead us to Elsidor and the Erelion devils before they find the Fire Stone! Vintressa’s mind had reasoned the day before. Now, it looked like the window of opportunity was closing... rapidly.

“Well, shouldn’t you let your vaunted security personnel handle that?” Royukgan asked. “Considering the three messages laying on the table in front of you?”

Vintressa looked down at the coffee table in front of where she sat. Three letters, stamped with the seals of the Imperial Governors of Chalcedon, Erelia, and Montador, blazed white against the coffee table’s ebony wood.

The Princess gave a sharp growl, the contents of the letters flashing into her mind once again. All three regions lay to the east of the capital, close to the area where the captured Erelion messages indicated the rebel army would be massing. And all three letters reported that there were various, “delays,” in the governor’s marshalling the local levies to impede the rebel progress.

“Yes... I suppose I should,” she said with resignation. Her mind went back to the numbers game it had gone through when the letters had arrived only a half hour prior.

Mother has two score thousand, father has the same... how many could the rebels put together if they can combine their armies? Her mind ran through the names of the nobles listed, but with a grunt of frustration, she realized that while she knew who they were, she didn’t have the slightest idea how many troops each had.

Assume five thousand each, her mind thought. She knew that while some, such as the small Baron of Freyburg, would barely be able to put together one tenth that amount, there were others such as Erelion himself, who could easily marshal several times the amount. Her mind agilely went through the additions. Fifty major nobles... five thousand troops each...

“I wouldn’t worry about those letters much,” Royukgan said absently. “As a foreign prince, in my opinion, your Imperial Guard is full of some of the most disciplined troops I have ever seen. Eighty thousand of them should handle... what is it?” his voice dragged to a halt once he saw Vintressa’s face.

“No... that can’t be right,” Vintressa said softly, her eyes locked on the distant problem. She shook her head, and looked at her friend, eyes slightly wide. “For a major noble in your realm, would five thousand be a good guess on how many troops they could marshal?”

Royukgan’s face squinted slightly as he went into thought. “No, that’s a tad low, actually. If I had to guess, the Bey of Shi, the smallest of the nobles in Han, could pull maybe three thousand. Most of those would be culled peasant lev-“

“They’re marching into a trap,” Vintressa said softly, the numbers dancing in her head.

“Vin... are you insane!?” Royukgan snapped a few minutes later as he desperately tried to keep up with the Princess. He’d seen her when she was stalking through the Academy at this breakneck pace. Usually she was hell-bent on something, and no one, not any of the great wizard’s there, her friends, or even her parents would dissuade her.

Her eyes flashed towards Royukgan, their blue taking on an icy, steel hue. Her rapid stalk through the palace had not changed pace... if anything she was moving faster.

“Vintressa! Please!” Royukgan desperately changed tack. “I am merely the third son, I do not head armies, but even I know that is patently foolhardy!”

A sharp turn later and the two were coming up the hallway towards the Princess’ royal chambers. Several manservants stood about, and it was in front of them her barreling form stopped.

“You!” she pointed, “Fetch for me the wizard Aegrifyr! You, find the Chief Court Mage!” The sharp tone of her voice gave the command all the urgency neccessary.

“Vintressa! If you’re going to do this,” Royukgan shouted again, trying to be the voice of reason, “At least take more with you! What the in the Nine Hells do you think barely a hundred guardsmen, five wizards, and you can do against an army of over ten score thousand!?” I have all the respect in the world for your personal bodyguards, and I love you, Vintressa... but even I can see the odds...

“I don’t know, I’m thinking that part up as I go,” the princess replied coolly, resuming her march. Two hands shoved her chamber doors wide, and she promptly charged towards the dresser that contained her ‘normal wear.’ A quick minute later she had tossed aside several items until she pulled out some riding jerkins, and a light chain shirt. A few seconds later, she was behind a changing screen. “Now, are you going to help, or not?” she asked.

For a split second, Royukgan paused. His own mind edged towards the political, and the consequences of what action he chose weighed heavily in his mind. Interfering as a royal in the revolt within another nation could draw his father into the mess... a potential disaster. But not acting might cost him something else he held dear...

“Yes... someone is going to have to save you from this hare-brained scheme,” he sighed finally. “And here I thought I was in love with a cool headed, clear thinking princess!” he snorted.

“Who says I’m not clear headed?” she challenged from behind the screen, before emerging in her jerkins and chain shirt.

The armor itself made Royukgan wince. Normal chain shirts covered the torso down to the thighs, with short sleeves to cover the shoulders and upper arm. Hers had the shoulder and arm portions removed, leaving those areas only covered by her traveling clothes... nothing that would stop an arrow or blade strike. Nothing one should wear into battle... and while Royukgan trusted his own reflexes to keep him safe, he knew Vintressa was not nearly as fast as even Raven... let alone him.

Vintressa saw his eyes looking on disapprovingly.

“What? It interferes with my spellcasting,” she pronounced simply, before putting on another thin tunic that covered her armor and the jerkins underneath.

“You cannot ride out into battle like that!” Royukgan snapped. “You’ll just get yourself killed! Valaron is the battle-minded one, this is his realm! Yours is...”

“So you are saying I can’t handle myself?” Vintressa’s voice asked dangerously as she strapped on the rapier she’d used to wound the assassin not long ago.

“No, that’s not what I meant,” the prince tried to correct himself.

“That’s damn near what it sounded like,” she replied icily, before rumaging around in the same location she fetched her sword. A split second later, he found a rapier thrust into his hands. “Here... protect yourself with this.”

“I... I don’t know how to use this,” Royukgan stammered. “It is not a jian, or a mao deng...”

“A blade is a blade in desperate situations,” Vintressa thrust the sword towards him. “Practice with it, it’ll give you further reach than those little daggers you tossed at people,” she growled. “Or are you saying you need help taking care of yourself?”

The prince’s nostrils flared, as rage coursed through his veins. A vicious, biting reply leapt to his tongue, until his mind intervened before it left his lips.

She is under immense stress... that is why she is being so... sharp. Royukgan’s short, shattering reply died in his throat.

“A blade is more effective when its wielder understands its strengths and weaknesses,” Royukgan replied slowly, measuring his words to avoid making the argument any more raucous, “...and I’d do better if I could be taught how to use this. As for my sai, I have known how to use them for the better part of seven years... and for being small, they can be effective,” he forced a slight smile. His hopeful humor had its desired effect, and Vintressa noticeably relaxed from her former, bristling stance.

“I can teach you,” she said simply, adding a weak smile of her own. “Now, we need to get ready, as I doubt Aegrifyr or Aeron will be very pleased once they hear what I have in mind...”

“You’re riding out with what?” Vintressa’s former teacher sputtered.

“Your two eminent personalities, myself, Royukgan, and a hundred members of the Household Guard,” Vintressa replied calmly. She’d hoped if she relayed the news in a normal tone, it might reduce or delay some of the shock. No such luck.

“Highness,” Aegrifyr stumbled onward, mind in confusion, “you realize that 100 will not have a chance versus the 200,000 you refer to! You are a clever girl, surely you see this!”

“Yes... and I am thinking ahead of you, Teacher,” she smiled. Her delay arguing with Royukgan had given her time to think, and she had already found one thing in her favor. “When we ride, we will not face all 200,000 at once. If we don’t act, my mother and father will have to face them all at once!”

Aegrifyr sighed, and rolled his eyes. “You know your numbers, Highness! 100 versus 5,000 is still horrible odds, nearly as bad!”

“104, Teacher,” Royukgan’s voice jumped in. If I am jumping into this, I might as well back Vin. I trust you, love... “And that number is magnified if we have one of the greatest enchanters in the Empire, as well as one of the most powerful wizards all around on our side.” A little well placed flattery...

“Prince Wei Royukgan Liaodeng!” Aegrifyr snapped, using Royukgan’s full name, “Do not tell me that you, too, have fallen into this mad thought!” The wizard’s robes swished angrily across the palace floor.

“How long of a ride is it... to a location that we could catch them on the march?” the other wizard present asked rather calmly. Aegrifyr spun towards the Chief Court Mage, eyes ablaze with disbelief.

“Are you backing this madcap idea as well?”

“I have seen stranger ideas come to fruition,” Aeron replied simply. “Though before we go into battle, I’d prefer we’d have an idea what is to happen. And I’d like to bring several other Court Mages along... perhaps ten.”

“Well, if one mage is good for firepower, ten more won’t hurt,” Vintressa reasoned. “And its not like we would be increasing the force by much... 104 to 114.”

“Do you have any idea what the plan will be, once we catch this vast host on the march? We cannot go charging in, blades above our heads!” Aegrifyr grumbled.

“Hmm... we could enchant some of their number, and make them march in circles,” Royukgan offered.

“We can think enroute,” Vintressa countered, already rising. “We do not have much time... likely some of the rebels are already moving towards the marshaling grounds as we speak. The sooner we can get there, the better... “

The image of her mother and father, riding into battle against overwhelming odds... they’re forms surrounded, being crushed by the rebel masses…

If I can’t stop some of them... Vintressa’s mind thought, before shuddering. Enchantment… might work…

The princess’ young mind was already working furiously when the orders were discreetly issued to head out.

Last edited:

Valaron had never been inside this particular Temple of Hieroneous, but as he was hurriedly led through its corridors and alcoves, he recognized it followed the same, simple layout as most of the others across the Empire. From above, its main building’s form would look like a sword, the blade forming the long hall down which one must travel to reach the worship chambers. The sermon hall itself would form a cross, the entrance coming from the ‘blade,’, two of its wings forming a ‘hilt’ and the nave where the priest conducted the service forming the ‘pommel.’

The priest cut to the left, and out a side door from the main hall, leading the croned Crown Prince out into the sunlight, towards one of the numerous side buildings in the temple complex. The building they headed towards was small, lightning etches along the edge of its roof.

“The Commander is here, I shall fetch him,” the priest said nervously, giving the old crone before him a bow before rushing off. Valaron had a few minutes to admire the well tended trees and gardens on the temple grounds, before his erstwhile escort returned, announcing that the High Commander of the Temple would meet him in his personal quarters.

Valaron was led around the small building to its northern side, where a single door lay. The priest opened the door gingerly, allowing Valaron through.

The quarters inside were simple and small... perhaps twenty feet long by fifteen wide. Along one side of the room was a large bookcase, containing volumes ranging from numerous prayerbooks for Hieroneous to a few volumes on the Great Rebellion, and one on the birds that could be found in the Valley. Hanging above the door was a longsword that seemed to shine with unusual brilliance.

A simple desk was in one corner, a rather simple bed to its opposite. Sitting behind the desk was a tall man, clad in robes far simpler than those of the priest that had brought Valaron there. The man gave a slight nod, and Val heard the door closing behind him as the priest took his ordered leave.

“Please, sit,” the man, undoubtedly the High Commander, motioned towards another wooden chair in the crowded room. With a nod, Valaron shuffled over towards the indicated seat, and made himself comfortable. Harrapias then sat down behind the desk, across from Val, and gave the crone before him a great smile. Val felt a hot, burning sensation suddenly wash over his face, spreading to the back of his skull. In an instant, the sensation vanished.

“You may remove whatever magical disguise you have on, sir,” Harrapias said, still smiling. “Should your identity need to remain secret, surely the Commander of a Hieroneous Temple can be trusted?”

Val’s heart stopped momentarily. I’ve been discovered! his mind jumped. How? How did he know?

“I would like the courtesy of knowing who I am addressing,” the priest added, still with that large, if unnervingly calm smile.

Valaron gave a sigh. There is no point to the ruse if he knows it is such. HE cleared his mind, and followed Raven’s directions on causing the magic to cease. A few muttered words later (some of which he fumbled over), he could see the wrinkles on his hands vanishing, their paleness being exchanged for the deep ruddy look his skin normally held.

The priest’s smile did not change, but Valaron watched as his eyes grew wider and wider in recognition. Just when the prince thought that the man’s eyes could grow no wider, Harrapias blinked, and they seemed to return to a slightly more normal size.

“My prince,” Harrapias said, voice only slightly shaky.

“Commander, I apologize for my disguise,” Valaron gave a slight nod, “It was deemed necessary, given the urgency and secrecy of my mission to see you.”

“And what... may the Church of Valor do to help Your Highness?” Harrapias replied, his voice resuming his even keel as he regained control of it.

“I am in need of information... on an item called the Fire Stone. Outside my companion, Lady Raven Dice, is waiting. She has come to assist in the search.”

“So is this the infamous book on the Demon Rebellion?” Raven asked some time later, her voice hushed in awe as Harrapias laid before them a large, dusty tome, its cover cracked, its pages yellow with age.

“No... at least not the Demon Rebellion you are familiar with,” Harrapias said quietly. The priest had cancelled all of his duties for the day, after hearing of the assassination plot, and the Crown Prince’s mission to discover where the Fire Stone lay. “This assault on our world by demons is one that is far more ancient... have you heard of Ananias and his war?”

“Um... wasn’t he the ancestor of the Countess?” Raven asked, and Valaron gave a nod.

“Yes... he was the Count of Holstean and your father’s ancestor. He reigned several hundred years ago, and it was he that originally made the staff and the two stones that gave it so much evil power. His creation destroyed his human form... and so your father encountered him in a form that was frightening, to say the least.” Valaron nodded, remembering the stories they told of the ice demon under the mountain. Suddenly the prince’s brow furrowed, confusion beginning in his mind.

“He was a powerful sorcerer, as his grandfather was not... human,” Harrapias continued, not seeing the prince’s reaction. “He placed within the Ice Diamond the power to control the orcs of the mountains, and create creatures of icy power. No one, however, knows what he put into the Fire Stone, though an obvious guess... what is it, Your Highness?”

“Um...” Valaron started slowly, “this Ananias was my father’s ancestor?”

“Why yes... his loins gave birth to the Caladron family line, a line of Counts and Countesses that went unbroken until your father surrendered the title to take up the Imperial Crown,” Harrapias said, his voice gently conveying what he thought was obvious.

“So... this means father did not take the title from the Countess?” Valaron asked, repeating the phrase Lucius had told him when asked how he took the title of Count from the evil leader of the Demon Rebellion.

“He did, of course! When his mother signed that pact with the demons of below, he took the title of Count and led the fight against her! Right brave and valorous thing to do, leading a fight against your own mother, and indeed, your whole family...” Harrapias’ voice trailed off as he saw the Crown Prince’s face.

The Countess was... my grandmother... Valaron’s mind raced, confusion and fear mixing together. So... I have demon blood in me! The blood of the same that created the evil staff, and the blood of the one that used it for so much destruction... they all run in my veins!

“Um... Val?” Raven asked, gently touching his shoulder. “Are you okay?” To her surprise, a few moments after her hand touched his arm, it was shrugged off.

“So... I am the grandson of the evil Countess herself,” Valaron said slowly, his voice breaking lightly.

“Yes, but-“ Harrapias jumped in, now reading the confusion in the boy’s head, “...but the evil hasn’t spread to you. Your mother, father and their friends took care of that!” The priest’s halting speech during the last sentence told Valaron there was far more to the stories than he had ever been told.

“How?” the prince said, his voice growing heavy. Why did they not tell me?

Maybe they were merely trying to protect me. Maybe they did not know if I would understand? Maybe... if I knew... they were afraid I would misuse things, and hurt people like the Countess did? Why... how...

“Would it be wise if I continued, Highness?” Harrapias asked slowly, now realizing he was treading on ground the boy’s parents had not told him about yet.

“Continue... that is a command,” Valaron’s voice grew darker. I must know! If the Countess was so evil, and her magical blood is in my veins, why should I be free from that curse! How was my father free from that curse?

“Are you sure Valaron? You could wait to ask your father-“ Raven started, before Valaron’s stare cut her off.

“Well... um... do you know of the Battle of Irulas?” Harrapias started slowly. At the prince’s nod of assent, the priest continued, “Well... um... the Countess’ goal was to corrupt your father... and just before the battle, she succeeded in kidnapping him.”

The prince’s eyes went slightly wide. He had heard that during the battle his father had been injured, and his mother had fought mightily to save him and the city.

“The Countess managed to turn your father evil... and at the height of the battle, sent him to kill your mother and his former friends,” the priest continued slowly.

“So my own father went evil, and tried to kill my mother?” Valaron asked haltingly, fear in his eyes. So then, it DID spread to him? What is to keep it from spreading to me? If it made him go so far as to try and kill the love of his life, I... I could hurt my mother... father... Vin... Raven... any of them!

“Yes... but your mother and Tess saved him!” Harrapias interjected again, as quickly as possible. “Your father bore down them, and your mother stood in his father, refusing to even draw her blade! Your father paused, long enough for Tess to knock him out, and for them to use some magical force to bring him back to his senses!” Harrapias thundered in the voice of one who was present, and witnessed the entire affair.

“But does the Countess’ blood still flow in my veins?” Valaron asked.

“Yes... but it is worthless, inert to evil,” the priest replied. “Tess used some magic I do not understand to banish away. It was arcane magic, power I do not understand. A mage like your mother,” Harrapias nodded to Raven, “would have more understanding of it possibly.”

“I don’t trust it,” Val growled. The evil that ran in the Countess was deep... deep enough that it pulled in my father! And he is far stronger of heart that I am! It will pull me in as well!

“Val... don’t worry,” Raven put a hand on his shoulder reassuringly. “You won’t harm us. If the priest states this is so, and he was a witness, it must be so!”

It was getting towards afternoon, and Hemmel absently gnawed on a small roll he had purchased from a vendor on the temple plaza. It had been some three hours since he’d seen the Dice girl go into the temple... and he had no idea when she or the old crone she’d gone in with would come back out. He highly doubted the old crone was really an old crone, however.

So simple, his mind chided him for forgetting about the Dice family’s magical powers. Magically alter the prince... well... tricked once, shame on me...

His ears, ever alert, were picking up the first nervous rumors and undertones of something major. Rumors were circulating that something had happened in the capital, and Hemmel had to chuckle at the stories circulating among the provincials. Kulloden was near the remote edge of the Empire’s western border, and rumors were circulating that the Emperor was dead, that the local Count had declared martial law, and all sorts of other nonsense.

A herald has finally made it through the other towns closer to Iskeldrun, and teleported here, Hemmel chuckled. Heralds will probably go out and proclaim the Emperor’s safety tomorrow... It was always how major news worked in from the capital.

Yet none of this provincial backwoods chelpers knows that the Crown Prince himself is here... Hemmel chuckled.

The rumors and hushed gossip were lost on Hemmel shortly, as he returned to tracking the crowds coming in and leaving the temple plaza. He had already catalogued two other cloaked individuals that seemed to be hanging around the marketplace as guards, and he’d made sure to keep shifting about so they didn’t see him staring too long at the Hieroneous Temple.

He was rather surprised, however, to see the form of the original Dice girl he had been tracking come back into the large plaza... another cloaked figure in tow. Carefully, Hemmel made as if he was headed to the Temple of Pelor... which took him on a path closing with the two.

Drawing closer, he could see a faint glow of some kind reflecting off of the dull green interior of the second person’s cloak.

Ah... so the dragon makes his presence known, Hemmel realized. Myself versus the Prince, Raven, and two bodyguards is reasonable... but myself versus those, the other Dice girl, and a prismatic dragon? Hardly fair odds.

The assassin checked his pocket with a hand and, to his relief, found numerous jingling coins. He knew in the small pack on his back were several platinum trade bars as well.

More than enough to teleport out of here, and return with some reinforcements...

“I will worry about that later,” Val added, somewhat gruffly. His attempt to hide his continued fear and concern was not masked well enough for Raven to be bluffed.

“Val, if you-“

“You were saying, Commander,” Val said rather coldly. He saw Raven’s face fall after his rebuff, and part of him immediately regretted the sharp comment. The rest of him willed himself to quiet. The priest had more to say that involved that Fire Stone. We must find out what this Fire Stone does! And if it hurts someone like the Ice Diamond!

What if it does pull one towards evil?

It is no matter... I alone here in the Valley can carry that stone. I must, regardless!

Duty over self... it is the way,
he thought, shoving aside his own fears for the problem at hand. I cannot let it affect me!

“Um... well...” Harrapias paused, unsure of whether to continue until the prince’s concerns had been dealt with. Seeing Valaron’s icy stare, the priest took his cue to continue. “We do not know much about the Fire Stone, other than it never fell into the Countess’ hands. It was originally part of Empress Zoe’s dowry to marry your father, but in the chaos of her reign and death, it was lost, somewhere around Irulas.”

“What exactly does this Fire Stone do? You said it might give on the ability to control fire, but does anyone know for sure?” Valaron pressed.

“If anyone does, it is not me,” Harrapias replied. “As I said, if the Ice Diamond gave one the ability to control cold, logically its partner the Fire Stone would give one the ability to control heat and fire.”

“But does it do anything else?”

“I do not know... and I am unawares of anyone that would know,” Harrapias said again. “It is a gem that supposedly has great magical power... and up until Zoe taking, it had been locked in the Imperial vaults for centuries.”

And now it lies out in the wilderness... its terrible power undisturbed...or so we hope to the gods... Val thought.

“I look like a brigand,” Royukgan grumbled. He was not a prince for being proud like a peacock, but he was not used to dressing in plain, even torn, jerkins either. His face was still too young to form stubble, but he could see the other members of the Household Guard had already grown such. It must itch terribly, he reasoned.

All, even the twelve normally haughty court mages, were dressed down in rather common attire. Not rags, but nothing fancy either. Only twenty remained out of the original force of six times that number. Vintressa reasoned it would make sense to send the groups out piecemeal, to attract less attention. Outside of the city, the six groups would meet up, and actual orders would begin.

“Good,” Vintressa retorted with a smirk as she tossed a few essentials onto the back of her horse, Winter. Unlike many royalty, she didn’t mind not having a long baggage train full of courtiers, outfits, and food to drag along. The more Royukgan looked at her prepping her black mare, the more he realized she might very well think this all was one gigantic joyride.

“You really think we can fool them?” the Prince of Han asked quietly. “I mean... the odds...”

“You are still hung up on the odds,” Vintressa smirked again as she set her rapier into its riding scabbard. “Don’t worry about them! I stayed up last night, in my father’s chambers, researching. We’ll be fine!”

“Vin,” Royukgan growled again, “attacking people fifty times your number isn’t like one of Aegrifyr’s magical theorems, or a mathematical equation. You can’t solve it through research!”

“Oh really?” she turned to him, and once again he noticed her eyes slightly sunken in, red blazing around their edges from lack of sleep. “I’ll have you know that through some studious work, I have found some situations where such things have happened. And I’m going to simply copy what worked before.”

“Which is?”

“Surprise them when they’re on the march... hit and run, real fast,” she started to explain as she checked over the final arrangements for her saddle, “and then use some simple illusions, the Household Guard’s fighting ability, and false information to convince them to turn around. Simple, huh?” She gave a slight grunt of satisfaction, and swung up into the saddle.

“That sounds about as simple as a mathematical formula,” the prince complained. “I’ve never heard of any simple illusion to create an army... or any illusion to create an army!”

Vintressa’s mind reflected back to an afternoon in a past not to distant where she had spent several hours with her Aunt Tess, talking about the bard’s former life as a performer and about theater. Up till that day, Vintressa had found theater to be boring at best... something to go to only when her mother, father, or nanny’s insisted.

But her idol’s explanations on how she used ‘theater’ in real life, the young princess had taken a keen interest... not in the plays or scores, but one what happened to bring them alive.

“Have you ever been an actor, my Prince?” Vintressa smiled, bringing her steed around. The horse’s hooves clattered along the cobblestones of one of the many side entrances to the palace. Royukgan gingerly brought his own bay alongside... it was not his usual mount, and this animal seemed slightly skittish.

“Of course not,” Royukgan replied rather stiffly. He was slightly offended at the question. Actors and the like are loose people! They make money however they can... including selling themselves out to whoever and whatever wishes their...

“Well, you will be in the coming days!” the princess laughed, and spurred her mount on.

Eyrna’s stomach jumped and quivered unnaturally as the stench of her own legs and shoes filled her nostrils. As the mists continued to swirl about, for several moments, she was sure she would vomit yet again.

Just when she thought she couldn’t take anymore, she nauseating feeling began to subside, as the mists of shifting time and place began to lift. To her left and right, muddy boots once again came into view, a stark reminder of Eyrna’s present state.

“On your feet!” came a growl from a deep voice, one belonging to Evermyn’s lieutenant, Vanerthorpe. Eyrna didn’t need to turn around to see the sharp, vicious gleam that was likely dancing in his eyes. Her ears also picked up the slightly whispered exchange that was likely not meant for her ears.

“Why did we bring her at all! For all the harm she has done, we should have left her in the woods!” Vanerthorpe’s voice hissed quietly.

“She is our only link to where Elsidor is headed,” a cool female voice replied. Evermyn’s. “After we deal with Elsidor, we can turn her over to the Imperial government. They will met out justice.”

“What if she leads us astray?” came another male voice. Eyrna had not yet been able to place a name with this voice... she thought the warrior’s name was Constans. “What then? I wouldn’t put it past her... treacherous woman!”

“Then we will deal with her..” Evermyn’s voice began. The rest of the red headed paladin’s statement went beyond Eyrna’s hearing, as the slight noise of the group marching through the wooded dales covered the whispering voices.

“Traitor,” Vanerthorpe’s sharp voice addressed Eyrna again, “that up ahead. Are you sure that is where they would have been headed? Your life rests in your honesty!”

Eyrna raised her eyes upward, and was met by sharp, gleaming white heights... cliffs. Lazily, in the sky far above, hawks circled.

“Yes... the Caladron family tombs... it is the only place he could be headed,” she breathed out.

“It would make sense... they need a body, do they not?” Constans’ voice asked.

“Not necessarily... they need either a whole body, or a partial body and items made by that person,” Evermyn’s voice corrected. “Items a tomb undoubtedly would be full of. Are you sure, Eyrna, that these are the only tombs of the Imperial Family?” Evermyn’s voice asked.

“I know of no other tombs of anyone in that family. The Valley tombs are the only known ones... they hold family members since they first took the title of Counts of Holstean,” Eyrna replied softly. She had researched it, long before the failed scheme had begun.

And now... it all falls apart, her mind numbly thought.

“We are about five days travel from the entrance to the gorge, and according to her,” Eyrna could imagine Evermyn nodding to the group’s captive, “it’s a further two days into the gorge till we reach the tombs themselves. A week’s march, people, so ration accordingly.”

With an ungentle shove, Eyrna found herself lurching towards the ravine so far ahead.

“Are you sure Raven is in there?” Ari asked, his voice filled with doubt. He was not nearly as naive as he had been even only a few years before. “She’s supposed to be in school in Iskeldrun... and that is a long way from here... even if I fly!”

“I swear I saw her outside of the temple here!” Rose said defensively.

“She’s not here now,” Ari stated the obvious.

“I can see that!” Rose snapped defensively. If there was one thing she hated, it was being proven wrong. “Maybe she went inside, to ask for some prayers or something!” The intrepid girl immediately started towards the gates of the temple complex.

“Why would she do that?” Ari asked, still following despite the innocent doubt in his voice. He still hadn’t caught on that Rose was annoyed with his observations. “Isn’t Raven fairly a-religious? Or is the term unreligious? And when she does go to ceremonies, it is for Pelor, not Hie-“

He finally understood after Rose gave him a dangerous growl.

“Okay, Miss Rose. I’m sorry, I’m not sure what I did,” Ari replied quietly. Rose looked back, and saw his brilliant lavender eyes had changed to slightly blue... a sign that he would begin to cry soon.

One nice thing about prismatic dragons... their emotions are easy to read. One only needs to watch their eyes, Rose remembered her father saying sometime long ago. She gave a sigh, and a brief nod.

“I’m sorry, Ari. It’s just, I know I saw her here, and now she’s gone. And I want to find her... because if she’s back in Kulloden already, something must have come up. Okay?” she said gently, hoping the dragon would accept her apology. Immediately, his eyes flashed back to their deep lavender color, flecks of gold dancing in their depths.

“Okay, Miss Rose!” the human disguised dragon laughed. “And if she’s not in here, maybe she went up the street! Raven is not as good at hiding as you are!”

Rose had to laugh at Ari’s last comment. Of all of their father’s children, Rose had been his closest heir... able to sneak about quietly when she needed to, tell tall tales and persuade even her parents they were true. Skills that came in handy on more than one occasion.

“True,” she smiled, as the two entered the walk approaching the main temple doors. As they walked inside, an acolyte was immediately at their side, asking how they could be helped.

“My name is Rose Dice. I am the daughter of Elenya Dice, Chief of the Mage’s Guild in the city,” Rose offered bluntly. “I am searching for someone... my sister namely. I believe she found her way in here... and I have some important news for her,” Rose added quickly.

“Um... I am unaware of any Dice family members entering said temple...” the acolyte said politely.

“Surely you wouldn’t mind us talking a walk around, then?” Rose said innocently. “It is a very important message... and perhaps you missed her when she entered?” She started forward, quickly building up speed, forcing the acolyte to catch up.

“Milady,” he called from behind her, as she looked left and right through all the alcoves she passed in her brisk walk, “If you wait patiently, I can ask some of the other priests if she has been here, and then tell you!” He kept looking uneasily at Ari... unnerved by her companion’s shining eyes and strange colored skin.

For a second, he thought his statement might have persuaded her, for Rose stopped suddenly. Her face changing into a look of shock and surprise, as well as the little shriek, let him know she’d spotted something instead. Before he could respond, she’d lunged out of an open side door, into the private gardens of the temple.

The hapless acolyte dashed after her, the strange colored man on his heels. When he burst into the sunshine, he saw the rather stunned High Commander of the Temple staring at two girls, both looking like the original Dice daughter hugging each other. And to the priest’s astonishment, a boy fitting the description of the Crown Prince looked on in confusion.

It was raining when Baron Valdemar Erelion finally spurred his horse to a trot through the gate of his family keep. The downpour was vicious and hard enough that the Baron could not, for minutes at a time, see more than a hundred feet in front of him.

An excellent mess to march in, he thought, dark thoughts towards the gods rumbling in his head. Behind him came the canter of his knights, loyal to him alone. He spurred his horse on, towards a lope. To his right, his foot soldiers flashed by, apparitions dancing within the curtains of rain. On all of their chests was emblazoned the snake-headed mark of House Erelion.

In the Baron’s mind raced timetables, levy times, and meeting locations. The rain hid the otherwise impressive snap of his organized, professional troops into march column after he and his knights passed by, but they did not hide his levies from his gaze.

Drenched, already tired, and woefully equipped, most of those former and soon-to-be peasants looked at their lord, passing by in all his finery, with little more than anger. Anger at having been dragged from their fields during the height of the planting season, anger at having been forced into a war, and finally, anger at being forced to stand out in this rain with little more than leathers on.

In the Baron’s mind, he had prepared a powerful and moving oratory, detailing the crimes of the Imperial family against him and these very peasants... many of whom could not even spell their name. He rightly judged that now, in the midst of this driving storm, would be the worst time to lecture them. With a nod, he issued the orders to get them moving... mostly to find some drier campgrounds up the road.

Hardly an auspicious beginning to my quest, his mind darkly thought. Perhaps, should Tarantor and the gods smile on me, this shall be the only ill in my campaign to restore to my family what is theirs...

The smell of roasting stonehog wafted into the air, quickly filling the small stne chamber with its... less than pleasant odor.

To Tesseron, however, the smell was utterly delectable, and her mouth began to water as she turned the roasting form of the hapless creature over and over again. Her vigil in the tomb kept her from properly hunting, but the small creature’s curious adventure into the tombs for shelter in the brief rainshower that morning had been its last sojurn. Compared to the hardtack and other rations Tess had brought with, even rough stonehog flesh would be somewhat of a treat.

It had been two days so far that she had been stuck inside the tomb, with nary a sign or movement of anything. The first night, she had been up, on edge, sleeping only in ten or fifteen second spurts instead of the minute long bursts she’d trained herself to do over the years. The memories of the place were still strong.

Now, not even rat’s called it home, the once living bones about the place long having been stripped of anything edible. It was something of a relief to Tess... if something moved, she knew it did not belong here.

Finally, she lifted the spit from above her small fire, and with a judicious eye, she inspected her meal. With a grunt of satisfaction, she decided it was cooked enough, and removed it from the spit. Within a few moments, she began her meal... only to stop because of something very faint, coming from outside the cave...

“Look up there, Simeon,” Elsidor smiled at the tired, and weary boy. “There are the tombs... and there you will find release! And Lord Vecna will have his requirements met!”

For two solid days the boy had been shuttled, shoved, and driven through the woods, briars tearing his skin, his bindings stretching his legs and joints. The bruises from his most recent beating that morning were still smarting, adding to the deep, roiling ache that covered his body.

They keep this from Elsidor, the boy’s tired mind reasoned, They beast me so that my clothes cover the marks! If he knew how they treated me, he would help! Elsidor only wants to make me feel better! Simeon looked up at the drow, and while his face grimaced from the pain, his eyes told the drow of pain, suffering, and fear.

“Ah... do not worry. It will be quick, and thence you shall leave your pain behind,” the drow smiled wickedly. He easily read the boy’s mind... that the young man no longer wanted to live. Over the days before and since the teleport, Elsidor’s companions had assured that.

And a willing departure only will increase Lord Vecna’s response, the drow smiled inwardly. This boy was altogether easy to break... he was made of weak noble’s stuff. He was raised in fine rooms on silken sheets, not underneath the beating sun in pauper’s rags... Elsidor darkly reflected over the last such sacrifice he had made, some five centuries prior. That ranger had been most hard to break into wanting to die.

Together, the sorcerous priest and his sacrifice stared at the heights above them, and a single entry into the mass of rock above...

Evermyn raised her hand suddenly, motioning for complete silence, her sharp eyes locked on something beyond the rocks ahead of them. Instantly, her large group went from hardly any noise to becoming almost a ‘hole in the rocks.’ Instantly, the all went low to the ground, one of the slamming Eyrna down as well, muffling the woman’s protesting grumble.

It was several minutes later when the redheaded woman stopped her looking, and hurried over to where Eyrna was being pinned by Constans.

“Stay back, and watch her,” Evermyn whispered quietly. “They are up ahead, I am sure of it.” She nervously looked beyond some rocks, before switching her gaze back urgently. “If it should go ill, you are to take the girl back to Holstean, and from there teleport to Iskeldrun and report what we know. Understood?”

“But Lady, the Church would most certainly punish us if we returned empty-“ Constans started to protest.

“The Church matters not!” Evermyn snapped back quickly. “Even if we succeed I have no doubt we would receive a cool reception! Defend her from them to the death if they come this way!”

As Constans opened his mouth to reply, Evermyn spun and darted to her former position, at the head of her group of warriors. Silently, her blade slid from its sheath, a move quickly followed by the others in her party.

Quickly and silently, their cloaks rose over the sides of the gorge, black panthers darting towards the large tomb above...

“What the devil?” Tess whispered to herself as the noise continued, growing louder. It was a mix of sounds... scraping, as if figures were dashing across rock, tumbling, as small rocks were falling, and whispering... as if a cape or net was fluttering in the breeze.

Instantly, Tess moved to a place where she could clearly see the entrance. The bard backed up until she felt the far recess of the chamber against her back. A quiet, soft tune started to hang in the air... notes that would soon shriek across the stone hall.

“Stop!” Elsidor snapped to the six behind him. Instantly, the black cloaked group halted, eyes immediately searching about, stabbing forth to find what danger their leader had spotted.

The drow’s eyes flared for a second, as he stared intently at the rocks on the far side of the tomb. They were not supposed to know it was here! This tomb was supposed to be forgotten!

The drow crouched even lower, and gently raised his right hand. His keen ears listened as his eyes watched, and instinct became suspicion.

“They are ahead. They call themselves hiding... so we shall wait them out.” With a slight snarl, he added, “When they step into the open... unleash ice upon them.”

Evermyn’s blade glinted brightly in the sunlight... too brightly for her tastes, but it was a necessity. The rocks about meant danger could leap out instantly directly in front of her, and there wouldn’t be time to draw a blade.

Finally, the half-elf nimbly jumped up to a rock just belong the tomb’s entrance. The thin, fine hairs on the back of her neck were raised in alarm, as her instincts screamed danger was near. She flashed a look behind her, and saw her companions were drawing close...

With a wave, she motioned Vanerthorpe and another comrade forward. The two bounded forward, lightly and easily over the stones, towards the entrance so close to them...

The scraping noises continued, louder and more insistent.

They’re closing! Tess’ mind reflected urgently. Her humming rose to a song, and then even more. A shriek, powerful and earth-shattering, rose in her throat, before exploding towards the mouth of the cave, just as a shape flashed into view...

Elsidor heard one of his comrades rumble a “There!” in Infernal, before the sky’s opened, and a hail of ice thundered down upon his hapless foes...

Vanerthorpe was fortunate. The sudden, piercing blast of sonic power only partially hit him. The screaming noise grated his ears, as if a thousand sandvipers were rubbing their scales together. He felt his muscles seize violently. He tried to issue a scream of his own in fear, but his mouth could not move. He saw the world tumble, spin, as he tumbled down the mountainside, crashing past rocks and over gravel.

Before the powerful shriek had fully died, Evermyn was on her feet. The half-elf leapt over the rock that had been her cover. They are inside! We must storm the tombs! Her sword flashed upwards, and quickly her other companions swarmed up the hillside, thirteen altogether.

She did not know how many were inside the tombs opposing her, nor their strength. It matters not! The fate of our very world is at stake!

As she came just below the entrance to the tombs, a single, last image flashed into her mind. Her mother and father, skin blazing red, bodies horribly disfigured by scalding, deadly heat.

And a vicious, snarling cry rose to her lips as she burst into the tombs, darkness enveloping her.

Tess had seen the first figure fall, and within a mere second three more had thundered in, one screaming a warcry. The bard realized sourly that her voice wouldn’t help her much now, with her foes directly in her face. With a flick of a hand, her blade of old, a jeweled dagger by the name of Fa’rallan, flew out. Her voice simultaneous changed from its shriek to a pleasant, lilting note, and a bright, blazing light filled the chamber...

Evermyn’s full blown charge skidded to a halt. For starters, she saw that in the darkness, she had been headed towards a crumbling statue along the wall of the chamber. As she spun hurriedly towards the light source, she suddenly stopped.

Before her stood something her eyes could not believe, someone that hovered like a distant memory. The woman’s blonde tresses were braided and tied about her head like a crown. On her back was an ornate and well made harp, and in her hand a famous jeweled dagger. Beautiful musical notes still came from her mouth... notes that were haunting in their perfection.

The five that had already made it into the chamber behind Evermyn were also standing dumbfounded... confused... as a figure of legend stood before them. The Bard’s eyes flashed uneasily between the six.

“Baroness Keldare!” Evermyn was immediately on a knee before the founder and leader of her organization... her league to fight for right in this world. How? Why? the half-elf’s mind asked in desperate confusion.

Tess looked at the six before her in shock and confusion. There was no drow among them, and her continued humming and notes showed the powerful bard there was no magical trickery at work.

For several seconds, Tess merely stared back at the group that was now kneeling before her. Finally, her mind sorted the confusion as best it could, and she asked a simple question.

“Who are you?”

“The paladin Evermyn, milady, lately of the Iskeldrun wing of the Angels of Mercy,” the half-elf replied. “I have come here to secure the tombs of the family of our Lord Emperor Lucius, to prevent them from falling into dark hands!” she hurriedly blurted, as her mind rushed with sheer panic.

Evermyn had never met Tesseron before, and through her mind raced the stories that were told of this woman. That she could turn someone to dust with her voice if they displeased her. That she could teleport at will. That she could read into one’s heart and shatter it if one lied.

Do not find me wanting! Understand my quest is truthful!

Evermyn? The missing paladin? Tess asked herself.

“Madam,” she said slowly, her mind still processing, “there are a great many people looking for you after the message you left with the goblin Chamoval.”

And slowly, cautiously, the two sides began to explain their reasons for being there...

Elsidor’s face soured in disgust a few moments after he laid sight on the creature. Not at the sight of the mountain lion’s body, battered to a pulp by hailstones twice the size of a half-orc’s fist, but by the waste of arcane power.

“It appears it was misidentified,” one of the other drow said sharply. None dared challenge Elsidor directly, but the statement could not be interpreted as anything but an offhand swipe at their leader’s mistake.

“It does,” Elsidor growled. “Nonetheless, if no one responded to that racket, it is a good sign that for now, we are alone. Let us head up into this cave.”

The party of seven clambered up the rocks ahead, and found themselves in what looked to be an abandoned mineshaft. Timber beams still went over the top and sides of hte entrance, and more than one drow wrinkled their nose and complained the place still smelled distantly of dwarf, even centuries after they had left the mountain.

Carefully they followed several sets of stairs and winding tunnels into the heart of the mountain, finally coming to a massive chamber, a thigh deep morass of water covering its floor. Deep cracks showed in the sides of the chamber, where rivulets of water had coursed down from the ceilings above.

“The remains of the ice that used to cover this place,” Elsidor said simply as the seven sloshed through the chilly water. “Keep your eyes about for any ice that remains. Such is what we are looking for.”

For what seemed an eternity, five of the drow scoured the hall while Elsidor stood beside the still bound and now freezing Simeon. Finally, one of the drow emerged with a piece of ice, no larger than a thumb, still freezing to the touch.

Gently, reverently, Elsidor took the ice in hand, and noted with calm and surprise that it did not melt in his touch. Smiling, the drow placed the small piece in a small, elaborately decorated pouch. So this is what is left of you… Oh Great King? How ironic.

“Come, Simeon,” he then smiled. “It is time for you to find your release.”

Part one of a double update
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The blood red sun sank lower in the sky as Elsidor and his small band led their sacrifice up the slopes of the mountain they had only hours before traveled through.

How appropriate, the dark elf thought as the final, despairing heat of the ending day fell over his face. The light was growing dim enough he no longer needed to shield his eyes. His eyes looked up, towards the summit of the mountain, barely a few more yards ahead. His eyes finally caught sight of a long boulder, its top long and flat... and Elsidor smiled.

“Perfect,” he said quietly as the sun’s red rays seemed to illuminate the stone, as if Vecna himself wanted the dark deed to be consumated there.

“Why didn’t you tell anyone you were going to be here! It would be at least a common courtesy to let me or Mother know you are here, so we can at least properly prepare!” Rose snapped, glaring at her sister and Valaron across the table from her. The servants in the Dice manor then set down more berries and sauces for the five to eat upon.

“Well, we were trying to find out information quietly,” Valaron said with only a slight amount of grumpiness. The furrow made the wrinkles of his disguise go even deeper. “However, these berries are better than stale bread anyday!”

“You at least got a disguise. Everyone in two probably knows I’m here now,” Raven replied a little sharply. Before even going into the Temple of Hieroneous to leave, Raven had altered Valaron’s appearance again. “Which probably means you’re going to have to remain an old crone for even longer in the eyes of the public. No making young ladies faint!”

“When have I ever done that?” Valaron asked.

“So, this Fire Stone? Do you need help finding where it’s at?” Shawn Dice asked eagerly. His hair was jet black, like his father’s once was, and he shared the thin, wiry build of his father as well... so much so that he’d been nicknamed, ‘the Younger.’

“And I can guard Val,” Ari said loudly, before the lavender boy let loose a series of draconic growls and snorts. They quickly ended when both Raven and Rose shot him a sharp, vicious stare. The young dragon’s head went down, and meekly he said, “Sorry... I won’t mention his name aloud again. I forgot.”

After a few more moments of glaring, Raven turned to her brother. “Yes... but not in the actual searching. I need you two to develop a reason I’m in town with this old crone,” she motioned to the disguised Val, “a story that we all can stick to, with no adlibbing!” she looked pointedly at her brother.

Tess did not feel like smiling once Evermyn finished her story. Not because the paladin’s quest had deprived her and the Imperials of vital intelligence, or the fact that her band had gone for Tess instead of Elsidor. Instead, her mind was wrapped around one, all-important question.

“Where are they?” Evermyn said softly, reading the bard’s mind.

“Perhaps they are late,” Vanerthorpe said quietly, rubbing the sore spots still besotting his arms and legs. “Maybe this whelp’s brother held them up,” he looked towards Eyrna, now dragged into the cave with the others. “As what she told us was false, I believe she still owes us much... including her life,” he growled darkly.

“Stay, my good sir,” Tess said quietly, but firmly. “Elsidor has shed enough blood. Let’s not add another soul to his account, and instead focus on finding him.” The bard then turned, for the first time all day, to the prisoner that Evermyn’s band had brought with them.

Tess took in Eyrna’s frightened face. They have been rough with her... especially the one called Vanerthorpe, Tess read the way the girl’s eyes flashed uncertainly to the hooded man next to her. I must gain her trust... and then she will tell us what information she knows... after all... her brother’s life is at stake now as well.

“Unbind her,” Tess commanded. A muffled grumble started to arise, until the bard’s eyes flashed around the group assembled around. Rather meekly, Vanerthorpe undid the ropes binding Eyrna’s arms and legs, and for the first time in a while Eyrna was able to stretch her arms and legs.

While a burning sensation blazed through the girl’s limbs, the ability to move felt divine.

“Simeon, my child,” Elsidor said quietly, gently, his already white eyes glowing with power and strength beyond those of normal men, “lay yourself flat on this stone.” Dully, without a blink or look, the young man obeyed as if under a powerful spell.

At seeing his obedience, Elsidor smiled. Once of his companions brought forth a rope, until Elsidor waved them away. “That is unneccessary. We have no need to fear Lord Simeon shying away from this.”

As the sun drew closer to halfway below the horizon, Elsidor drew a knife, its hilt gilt, the head of a beast as its carved pommel. Its length was long and bone white, jagged in relief. The sun’s rays seemed to stream into the blade, as the twilight made it seem to be made entirely out of blood.

Elsidor whispered a few silent words, phrases of arcane and abject power, before carefully placing the knife at Simeon’s throat.

“Well... how about we tell the story that this crone,” Rose flashed a smile in Valaron’s direction, “is a teacher from the Academy come to speak to mother about something,” the girl waved her hand around uncertainly, “magic related!”

“No!” Raven shot back. “If people find out someone from the Academy is here, one, it will attract undo attention from mother’s guild, and two, it will seem like I am in some kind of trouble!”

“Well, you are a Dice,” Younger replied dryly. “Trouble is in your middle name! Everyone in Kulloden knows this! Ever since father rode off to the east and started his adventures under the White Mountain!”

The old crone in the corner smiled unusually at the mention of the White Mountain. Its mere utterance brought to his mind the stories of valor of combat he had been raised with...

Bravely the band of five watched the oncoming horror that had once been a man. Oh, how great and terrible it appeared! Under this hail of blasts did your father and mother stand, the brave Tesseron and Dice the thief by their side! There they stood, facing the King Caladron of old, Ananias!

“Val! Here and now!” Raven’s sharp rebuke yanked him from the world of story back into the present. “Would you be okay meeting with Father Hidalas at the Tarantor Church?”

“Um... sure,” the Prince replied uncertainly.

“My child,” Tess said softly, a hand gently lifting Eyrna’s eyes to her own, “You have been through much. Have you eaten recently?” When Eyrna shook her head no, the bard reached to the spit over the now embers that had once been a fire, and pulled off several pieces of stonehog. “Here.”

“Why do you feed the traitress?” Vanerthorpe’s harsh whisper echoed in the halls. Tess shot him a bladed look, and the man shrank away slightly.

“Eat!” Tess urged, and with a smile she watched the woman gobble down the pieces. She is of noble blood... this is probably the first time she has felt want... has felt starvation. So quickly are table manners forgotten when one is starving! “I am sure that food would taste better if some water followed it into your belly,” Tess said with an earnest smile, offering her waterskin to the girl. Eyrna eagerly grabbed the proffed water, and took several swigs from it.

“Do you feel better now?” Tess asked softly. The bard read the young woman’s eyes and her nod yes. Her eyes were fearful, but something told Tess the nod was heartfelt. She is questioning whether this is a ploy... but part of her thinks it’s not, the bard smiled. “Eyrna... my name is Tesseron, the Harper.”

“I... I knew it was you, Baroness,” the other woman, replied, her dry mouth now replenished. “I thank you for your kindness.” The final line was delivered with a genuine gratefulness, as well as a barb directed at her former captors.

“Eyrna... I wish to help you. They tell me Elsidor took your brother captive,” Tess said slowly. The bard watched as the other woman’s face suddenly flashed through a series of emotions. Fear... fear that this information was going to be used against her. Even more apparent was a pang of loneliness, and another fear... one that she would never see her brother again alive.

Tess pressed on. “I can help rescue him... if you wish. I merely need know who Elsidor plans to raise.”

“What would you do with me and Simeon afterwards?” Eyrna asked. The woman had moved slightly away from Tess.

Tess had expected this question, yet she still didn’t have a firm answer. By all rights, the two should be turned over to the Imperial government and sent to trial for treason. But we need this information! Tess’ mind reminded her. Otherwise, the trial of two traitors might be the last thing we’ll need to worry about!

“I shall make sure no harm shall come to you. On my word as a woman,” Tess replied, somehow covering the uncertainty in her own voice. How can I do that? By all rights, Siabrey and Lucius can claim her head! Mentally, the bard shook herself. Such matters can be arranged later!

“You might support the Usurper, the one that follows those of Hieroneous when he should follow Our Lord Tarantor, Tesseron Keldare,” the young woman replied, “but one thing I have never heard you called is dishonorable... or a liar.” Tess saw Eyrna blink and give a deep sigh.

“Elsidor seeks to raise Ananias Caladron, the King of Old, the only one whose body does not lie here.”

A split second later, a curse erupted from Tess’ lips. Of course! How obvious! He knew that this tomb was likely to be guarded, so he seeks the one who never really died...

Until we killed him outside of Kulloden, under the White Mountain.

Memories from a time long before flooded into Tess’ mind. Once again she saw Siabrey and Lucius as they were long ago, two warriors seeking the Ice Diamond, and unknowingly seeking each other. Once again, she saw the uncouth, sharp tongued thief named Shaun Dice. And she felt herself tighten in anger at seeing the image of Rogar the Traitor.

Once again, she felt her desperation as she launched her last, desperate charge... a lone dagger in her hand, a screaming warcry on her lips as her broken body lunged towards the wounded beast, knowing it was either her life, or the lives of all of her friends...

“M’lady?” Evemyn asked quietly. “If this Anias is no more than a mere mummy or wight, we have faced such before.”

“He is no such creature,” she said softly, her voice filled with the terror of memory.

Elsidor waited, looking on patiently as the red disk grew lower and lower in the sky. The ritual required precise timing. Carefully he watied, as he had done so many times over the course of his five century life.

Gently he pushed the blade down, further and further onto Simeon’s young neck, careful to not spill any blood until he saw the last tiny point of light disappear over the horizon.

With a sudden and swift movement, the young blood that was in Simeon’s veins formed its own red glow, high on the top of White Mountain. The young man’s form hardly moved as his life’s blood pumped out onto the gray slate of stone.

Without a word, Elsidor held forth a hand, and quickly the small shard of ice was placed in it by one of his band. The drow held the shard up towards the blazing red of the western sky, and deep, infernal words rose high in the air, growing loud as thunder rolling off of the hills and into the forests below.

At once, it seemed as if the young lord’s lifesblood, spilled onto the mountainside, seemed to glow, going from deep rust to a bright crimson, rising in the air, then swirling about Elsidor’s tall frame.

The very air around the drow hummed with power, and with a sudden roar, the blood of Simeon Erelion gave new life to something that should have remained dead...

“What is that!?” Rose asked in awe as she and her siblings stared out the window of the Dice manor towards the dark eastern sky.

A pillar of white light seemed to stretch from the ground upwards to the heavens, its top swirling to and fro, thin wisps blowing from the top of its lofty heights.

“Val?” Raven asked next, “have you seen anything like that?” Her eyes were still locked on the sight. “Val?” she asked a few seconds later. Silence greeted her ears, and annoyed, she turned to get his attention, before she became speechless in confusion.

Valaron was doubled over, pain apparent even amongst the wrinkles of his disguised face. The pale skin her spell had given him was bathed a deep, pungent red, and small gasps of labored breathing came from his lips.

“Val!?”

Last edited:

Remove ads