Problem Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe Ronalds

First Post
I'm starting (or trying to start) a new campaign with some friends at school. Two of my friends have never played D&D but they've played other RPG's. THe problem is, once I lent one of them the PHB, they won't get it read because they find it "insulting" to elves. I don't want to kick the player out because they're a friend of mine, but I don't want her making the game unenjoyable either. If I were to kick her out, she'd most likely hate me for all eternity, and she'd get one of the other members to leave the group, leaving me with three players, one of whom is my little sister whose only in the group because of a favor. I just want to know, how to get my friend to finish reading the book and calm down about elves, without causing any huge disruptions.

Crothian

First Post
Insulting to elves? How is it insulting? The way I would handle it is to sit down with her and go over the elves and everything she finds insulting about them.

William Ronald

Explorer
Hi, Moe:

I would ask what she finds insulting. She can play her character as she wishes. Also, explain that different elven types and cultures can exist in a single campaign.

Falex

First Post
I don't quite discern how it is insulting to elves, depending on which Elvish lore she is referring to (Celtic, Norse, Tolkienish, etc). However, the particular type of elves also vary depending on the campaign setting. The PHB is for standard Greyhawk only, and those descriptions aren't "too" good about elves and particular region-based elves. Just tell her not to play an elf... she can always be a human. But I agree, explain to her about elves and how they differ, and how they aren't really that insulting.

EOL

First Post
Shooting completely from the hip, it sounds like she might be deep into Tolkien Elves which are (especially Noldor) quite a bit more powerful then the other races. IF that is the case and it doesn't screw your whole campaign, buff elves up a bit (possibly by just using drow stats) explain the whole concept of balance and ECL and let her play a buffed up elf who doesn't get to level two until the rest of the party is level four....

clockworkjoe

First Post
She could think elves should be more like fairies from folk tales and legends. Or from changeling the gathering.

Is she an otherkin, pagan, new ager, witch, or something like that? I've met people before who had the exact same sentiment towards D&D for that reason.

Forrester

First Post
<sputters>

Insulting to elves . . . INSULTING to ELVES??!!!

I'm f'ing speechless.

Let's assume for the moment that being insulting to elves was a bad thing. An assumption that I am not happy making, but I'm willing to do it for a nanosecond.

How in the living **** is 3E INSULTING to ELVES?

It's insulting to GOBLINS. It's insulting to KOBOLDS. And we ALL know that half-orcs got the big longbow *SHAFT*.

But elves? ELVES??!!! The little daisy-munchers pr-- I just can't go on. Excuse me. I have to vomit.

AUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Jeez... we are just trying to play a game, not make this our bible or something!

*saving my conversion rates for the SL crowds and soon to be believers!* :D ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads