MonsterMash said:
Nice story hour. Which of the named characters are the PC's
so far...

Dalin is JoeBlank
Brother Ben is howandwhy99
Dram is loki44
Darius is skryaper
Igor is biorph
Kayla is (i'm not sure if she has a screen name here)
Mirel is AllanyaKT
Blackleaf is Olgar Shiverstone

and diaglo is the referee

MonsterMash

First Post
Thanks Diaglo,

Next question is which of the supplements are you using from OD&D: Greyhawk; Blackmoor; Eldritch Wizardry; Gods, Demi-gods and Heroes?
And any material from the Strategic Review or Chainmail for combat?

diaglo

Adventurer
MonsterMash said:
Thanks Diaglo,

Next question is which of the supplements are you using from OD&D: Greyhawk; Blackmoor; Eldritch Wizardry; Gods, Demi-gods and Heroes?
And any material from the Strategic Review or Chainmail for combat?

yes. :D

we are using parts of all 4 Supplements plus TSR 1-4. and Chainmail. and also Outdoor Survival.

not really using Supplement 5 Sword & Spells, but we haven't had any mass combat yet.

JoeBlank

Explorer
And now back to our story . . .

Dearest Mother and Father,

I am still well, and things have progressed here at Outpost Xavier. We are managing to establish a foothold, but it seems the more we accomplish the more mysteries we uncover. But I am getting ahead of myself. Allow me to begin where my last letter left off.

As I said before, we were each going about our chosen or assigned tasks, attempting to get the Outpost into working order. Igor was sent to scout for the giant, or any trace of him, while the we discussed plans for dealing with the beast. We all agreed that simply doing nothing and allowing his continued assaults would not work. Learning more about where he lived would help us decide whether launch an attack there or to set some form of trap for him at the Outpost. Suggestions included ropes or a log roll to trip him up. Darius knew that as a dwarf the giant and he shared a mutual hatred, so he volunteered to engage him in melee to lure him into whatever trap we could create. As the next most able-bodied swordsman, I agreed to aid him in any way I could. Dram and his archers would attack from the Outpost, with us using fire to illuminate the giant.

Our discussions were interrupted by Cpl. Chervac calling an assembly of everyone present. He advised that he was stripping Sgt. Guido of command for dereliction of duty. The drink had gotten the best of him. Known as Dargoth's Breath, this dwarven spirit was known to burn the insides of normal men. Chervac told us that Guido had volunteered to be sent to Outpost X, and appeared to have a death wish that would soon be granted, as he could not be healed from the effects of the Dargoth's Breath. In fact, he was now blind. I suggested that we provide him to opportunity for an honorable death, but in this state he was not capable of much. He did not put up any fight and simply stood his ground, head down, while Chervac delivered the news.

We now needed a new commander, and it was soon agreed that the dwarf was well suited for this role. Sgt. Darius took to the position well, asking that we each report our positions and duties. He then proposed that we send the majority of the mules back to the Keep, before we ran out of food for them. The young girl, Mirel, who had arrived with him volunteered for this job, as she had a mule of her own and seemed to know how to handle the animals. A list of needed supplies was prepared, including requests for shovels, pole axes, blacksmithing tools, grain, and supplies to build siege weapons; and a report of the damage was added. We also decided to send the bodies back for proper burial. The six men in the infirmary would have to remain, as Brother Ben advised they would not survive the journey.

It takes about a third of a day to reach the keep, and midday was almost upon us, so we quickly began packing to send them off, with the intent that they remain overnight and return on the morrow. One of the men, Ord Smitty, noted that Igor, our usual cook, had still not returned from scouting, and so began preparing a meal in his absence. I returned to drilling a team of ten men on setting pikes against a charge, in the hopes that they could at least protect the door if the giant returned.

Wondering about Igor, Darius used his hammer to sound a signal by banging on the oil pot. There was initially no answer, but shortly thereafter the watch sighted an arrow flying our way from the southeast. When it hit the wall we could clearly see that it was covered in dung, an signal Igor had planned to use only if he was in dire trouble.

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Sgt. Darius quickly grabbed his hammer and told me to follow him. We left the safety of the Outpost, with instructions for the archers to be ready to cover us. A short distance into the trees, I spotted Igor high in the branches, crouched down as if hiding. I loaded my crossbow and looked for the cause of his fear.

We were only a few hundred feet from the Outpost and there they were, orcs with dark green skin, carrying an array of weapons and outfitted as if ready for battle. They all had the image of skull on their chest. By the time we saw them we were nearly among them, their number over two dozen. Sgt. Darius called out to them, suggesting that they unite with us against the giant. We stopped, about 100 feet away from them, my crossbow at the ready.

“What say you?” shouted Darius. The answer came in the form of arrows, three of them bouncing off of his shield. I fired my crossbow, hitting an orc's shield. We began to backpedal, heading for the safety of the Outpost. It appeared that they had not seen Igor, so the man we had come to rescue was in a better position than we. Together Darius and I shouted a warning of “Orcs!”

More arrows flew our way, none of them connecting. We came into the clearing with the orcs close behind, when I heard a guttural voice that seemed to come from the Outpost walls, shouting “Halt!” in the orcish language. I turned to get off another shot before backing into the open gates, just behind Darius, and the doors were closed behind me.

This time I was certain the voice came from the walls above me, continuing to shout to the orcs in their language, instructing them to split up, that we had gone in opposite directions around the Outpost and into the woods. They followed these instructions and scattered into the woods. Later, Dram told me the voice had come from Kayla. She is a user of magic, but I know not whether she had used some sort of spell or if this was simply quick thinking and a bold wit. Either way, it saved us from a potential battle.

Igor soon hobbled back in, telling us he had climbed the tree to gain a better view of the area. He learned that the giant lived in a nearby hill, but the more immediate concern was the orcs. Sgt. Darius called off the mule caravan that was preparing to leave. After a period of calm, he sent Igor back out to scout. He returned with an orc's arrow in his leg. Darius instructed Kayla to shout again, in an attempt to shame the orcs into the open.

“Only elves hide in trees!”

There was no answer. Another period of calm, and then the watch spotted smoke from the woods. Something large was coming towards us, and it was on fire.

Again I tell you of the barely believable, but we all saw it. A large tree, walking and moving of it's own accord, came out of the woods. It seemed to be the victim of a battle, quite likely with the orcs, and was beyond our help. It collapsed before it reached the tree line, and lay there until it was consumed by the fire. Kayla knew of this sort of creature, a living tree, and said that they were peaceful beings. It was a sorrow to see such a thing die.

In the discussions of what we should do next we began to investigate the knowledge of Cpl. Chervac, by far the most veteran of us. He explained that there were twenty-six outposts, and that Outpost Yung was only about a half mile to our north. Although there was no road, a short trek to Outpost Y seemed the safer alternative over the half day's journey to the Keep, to our west.

Although some of the men suggested abandoning Outpost Xavier and moving our entire operation to Yung, Chervac said this would leave a weak link, an opening for orcs, the giant, and other foes to have an easy route to the Keep.

JoeBlank

Explorer
In the discussions of what we should do next we began to investigate the knowledge of Cpl. Chervac, by far the most veteran of us. He explained that there were twenty-six outposts, and that Outpost Yung was only about a half mile to our north. Although there was no road, a short trek to Outpost Y seemed the safer alternative over the half day's journey to the Keep, to our west.

Although some of the men suggested abandoning Outpost Xavier and moving our entire operation to Yung, Chervac said this would leave a weak link, an opening for orcs, the giant, and other foes to have an easy route to the Keep.

Somehow, while we were discussing nearby outposts, Darius came up with and idea to take a closer look at our well. He asked for two volunteers who were able to climb. Igor seemed to be our best climber, but he had been injured by the orc arrow. As he did with Ben before, Darius said some words in dwarven and touched Igor. A glowing light consumed them both, and Igor was healed.

Dram, Igor and Darius made their way down into the well. They found plenty of hand and footholds, and about 120 feet down the dwarf's eyes spotted an opening. While they were doing this, Ben tied together rope and plumbed the well to determine its depth. He noted that there was a current at the bottom, apparently an underground stream, which was good news. This meant our water supply should stay fresh.

I only heard second-hand later, but the tunnel was worked stone, about then feet wide in arch. They came upon a door with a carving of two figures, one a tall, slender man in robes and the other a man in plate mail with a sword. An inscription described the men depicted as Elegar and Rogan, first explorers of the world. They found a push plate beside the door which issued a warning in loud, booming voice, against entering. We could hear it up above the well, echoing.

Dram remembered a rumor that and old lady selling apples had told him back at the keep, something about the word “Quesqueton”. When he said this out loud, the door opened of its own accord. They started down the hallway and found bodies, apparently the victims of a long-forgotten battle.

Up above, Guido began begging us to let him go down into the well. “This is why I came! Let me go!” Ben tried to reason with him, and keep him from leaping into the well, but the poor man collapsed and died before we could determine of what he spoke.

Sgt. Darius decided he needed a larger force to explore the dungeon below. He asked Kayla, Mirel, Ben and I to join the others, leaving Cpl. Chervac in charge of the Outpost. He also instructed one man to bang on the cooking pot with a club or hammer if there was any trouble that warranted our return.

When Kayla saw the figures and the talking door she took out a book and began taking notes. We went on to explore the winding passages. Mirel proved to be an excellent mapper, and also had quite an ear for listening at doors. I was uncomfortable underground, and found it difficult to maintain my sense of direction. We found more bodies, which Ben estimated had been dead for at least 60 years.

Behind one door, Mirel heard scratching noises. We opened it to find three of the largest rats, far larger than those in the fields at home. We attacked them, finding them fairly easy foes. I was surprised to see Igor attack with a large, two-handed sword which I recognized as Guido's. There was a carved stone idol on one wall, holding a bowl which contained dried, crusted blood. While Mirel was skinning the rats, Darius and Ben smashed the idol. We found the body of a small dog-like reptile, which had only recently been killed. Mirel searched it and found a sling which she kept.

JoeBlank

Explorer
This continued for I know not how long, we would open doors, face whatever was inside, investigate the room, and move on. Of note was a large room with 20 pools, most of them containing liquid of various sorts. Each was about five feat around. Mirel headed straight for one that appeared to be filled with gold coins. We were all wary, so she tossed a pebble onto the coins and they all disappeared, as if they were never there. Kayla explained that this was some sort of magic meant to trick our minds, and she found arcane writings on the container after the coins were gone.

One pool had a liquid that actually healed wounds. Everyone who had been injured drank some, and was healed. Several of us rushed to fill our waterskins with this wonderful elixir. My cautious nature led me to avoid testing the pools, as most of the others did. As you know, I prefer not to enter into risks unless I know the odds, and this seemed completely random to me.

Darius found a container in the back that held what appeared to be a human body, wrapped in linens and very old. When he touched it only slightly the creature awakened and began to attack him, grabbing for the dwarf. I was close by and moved in to help him. I was still holding a torch, and figured that the old linens would be flammable, so I hit the thing with my torch. My instincts were right, and it burst into flame. This development was not all for the best, as it then grabbed and held Darius, burning him as well. Kayla doused the flames, but it was otherwise difficult for us to attack the creature while it held Darius. Finally, the dwarf broke free, and I was able to set it on fire again. We all continued to engage the thing, noticing that the dwarf's hammer seemed more effective than our swords. In fact, it was a blow from the hammer that eventually felled the creature.

Igor was hysterical at this point, screaming that the dead were coming to life, and that the end of times was upon us. Darius and Kayla managed to calm him, explaining that it was only more magic to fool the mind, that the body was never actually returned to life. Searching the body we found a ruby necklace that had been glowing but was now dark. We also found a hollowed out bone that contained a scroll. Attempting to read it made Darius uneasy, and he returned it to the container.

Ben and Mirel took skins filled with the healing fluid to the bedridden men up in the Outpost, while the rest of us forged ahead. We found a room with a bed, desk, chair, and numerous papers. Under the bed was a cast chest, with an old lock we could not open. We managed to break the lock, finding inside parchment, a broken bottle, one elven made boot, an ornate ceremonial dagger and 40 gold coins. Darius established that we would divide this evenly, keeping a separate share as a group treasury.

Moving on, we found an armory, where I acquired a flail which I began using as my main weapon. Ben and Mirel returned, reporting that the elixir had greatly improved the wounded men. We were glad to have Ben with us when we opened another door to find six humanoids, nearly skeletal, with rotting flesh hanging from their bones. He called upon his religious fortitude and shouted “The Gods command you get thee back, evil.” They responded by cowering against the far wall, and we managed to end their sad existence with little effort.

We found three well-made dwarven longswords, each with a symbol of and anvil with two hammers crossed. Darius, Dram and I each took one of these. Another room of interest had a large circle drawn in silver and chalk on the floor.

Ready for a break, we headed up for a meal and to collect ourselves. We found that without Igor to cook one of the men, Smitty, had taken it upon himself to prepare a meal, using some of the day-old stew as a base. Our archers had seen no orcs or other foes, but had managed to bring down a stag. The soup turned out to be bad, and fourteen men ended up in the infirmary. This was enough of a surprise, but the men passed away over night. It was agreed that Smitty would no longer be allowed to handle the food.

In the morning, we resumed our plan of reporting to Outpost Yung. Igor, Mirel and myself agreed to go. The journey was short, only about an hour, although we did almost lose our way at one point. We were pleased to find a pristine, well-kept tower, where we were greeted by Cpl. Seth, who took us to Sgt. Reginald.

Remove ads