• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old bones...

Scharlata

First Post
Hi all!

Is there anybody out there that has tried playing the bone creature template from the BoVD (page 184) and could give me his/her advice on the caveats/drawbacks of that template?

I'd like to throw some "intelligent" undead against my players. They have to be skeleton-like. At least one skeleton wizard is among the more or less "fighter" types. Should I keep the "old bones" (skeleton template from MM 3.5) and give'em a spark of INT (say, 3) and make the wizard a "special" undead. I'll have to throw the undead against a group of 6 PC (level 5).

Wouldn't it be better to give the bone creature the Combat Reflexes feat (under 3.5) instead of the Weapon Finesse feat (3.0)?

FAQ said: Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +1. Would that be correct or too much?

P.S.: Someone tried the Athasian Zombie of DUNGEON #110, page 50? Is the "plague" to hard for 5th level PCs?

Thanx so much. :)

Kind regards

Last edited:

sledged

First Post
If you have access to the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, there's a skeletal warrior that has (I think) human intelligence.

Scharlata

First Post
Hi!

May I bother you with my ponderings whether it may be good to appoint the Bone Creature a Damage Reduction of 5/bludgeoning [3.5] instead of the "takes half damage from piercing and slashing weapons" [3.0]. Should it be 10/bludgeoning? Challenge Rating +1 still at work.

Kind regards

sledged

First Post
Scharlata said:
May I bother you with my ponderings whether it may be good to appoint the Bone Creature a Damage Reduction of 5/bludgeoning [3.5] instead of the "takes half damage from piercing and slashing weapons" [3.0].
That sounds like the better way to go.

Scharlata said:
Should it be 10/bludgeoning? Challenge Rating +1 still at work.
I think 5/bludgeoning is the standard for skeletal creatures. but if you feel like making them just a bit tougher, there's nothing wrong with boosting the DR. I don't think it's enough to warrent a change in the CR.

joelmarcus

First Post
try utilizing the creatures from the Ravenloft "Denziens of Dread"there is a SIGNIFIGANT amount of creatures that are referenced that are intelligent. It also has a good amount of critters such as golems and constructs that are nasty and will give PC's nightmares in future campeigns. (BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!)

Scharlata

First Post
joelmarcus said:
[...]Ravenloft "Denziens of Dread" [...]

Thanx alot.

Don't own that, but I've decided to give the Bone Creature a try, since it is a template it may work well :] on a minotaur base creature.

I've noticed that you may construct a devious human skeleton variation "packed with feats" using a 2nd level fighter base creature.

joelmarcus said:
(BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!)

King Arthur's Villein said:
But I'm not dead, yet!

Kind regards

Remove ads