d20 CoC Conversions

Majin Trugeta

First Post
Ok I've gotten my book and have been looking over the conversion section and experimenting with regular characters, "normal" (killable) monsters, and gods. Am I just reading the conversion rules wrong or something because they seem very limited. For instance if you use "The Skill Method" to determine a characters level wouldn't the highest level you could get as a result be 7? This goes for monsters as well.

"The Attack Method" seems to be just as flawed as well. What do you use for base skill rating if its a monster with say a claw, or tentacle attack? I've been trying it with Fist (the closest I could come up with) which takes away half of the skill % right off the bat. Leaving whats left even if a god had 100% in his highest attack skill that would leave him with a +10/+5 attack being at level 20. Looking at the gods in the back of the book, this just doesn't make sense.

Now again, I may just be waaay off on how I'm figuring things out, so if anyone could explain it better to me I appreciate it. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of variety in the conversion system, as most of the stuff, if not all of it has come out to being almost identical.

The converting Gods & Monsters section seems to leave a lot to be desired as well. Vague guidelines for creating an AC for the monsters. No real basis to go by for assigning them Damage Reduction either. (3-5 points per point of armor) Ok but how come some monsters with AC's of 12 have no DR at all? I have the same gripes about assigning CRs as well. How is this properly done?

Again I would appreciate hearing how other people are planning to go about with their conversions. If no one else knows, then hopefully Chaosium will release a new creatures companion with d20 stat blocks as well.

Crothian

First Post
saduff said:
Well don't convert the monster just "remake" monster using d20 rules.

I haven't tries anyrthing with Coc yet, but converting Star
Wars was a complete waste of time. I second saduff's idea. As long as you know both systems responible you should be able to get it about right.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I agree, the best conversion method, IMHO, is taking the monster concept and re-made it fully with d20 rules.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Although in general I agree about re-making monsters rather than trying to convert them, the rules on page 315 of the CoCD20 book says to determine monster hit dice from their CoC hit points. You dont need to use the "skills" method or "attacks" method for monsters.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
DnDChick said:
Although in general I agree about re-making monsters rather than trying to convert them, the rules on page 315 of the CoCD20 book says to determine monster hit dice from their CoC hit points. You dont need to use the "skills" method or "attacks" method for monsters.

That works a bit better that the skills or attack method, bu I still prefer re-making them, or using similar monsters. As somebody said, a well described d&d orc can be a sanity shaking monster for coc d20...

Remove ads