Dragonlance based on Mormonism?!?

Faraer said:
Dragonlance would also be problematic because it's *so* Tolkienesque (except based on Mormonism instead of Roman Catholicism). A good but inauthentic D&D film might be good commercially for D&D, but it would be damaging to the secondary worlds themselves.
Saw this in the D&D movie poll, and I didn't want to clutter that thread up with tangents, but what's this about? Other than the fact that one of the authors, Tracy Hickman is a Mormon, I've never seen any correllations between Dragonlance and Mormonism, even to the extent that Lord of the Rings weakly correllates to Catholicism.

And I should know; I'm a Mormon too...

Anyway, just wondering where this sentiment comes from; what specifically is the supposed Mormon basis for Dragonlance?

Mercule

Adventurer
There's a difference between being compatible with and being central to. I've seen LotR called a Christian allegory (I don't completely agree, but there are people capable of making the argument). Obviously, Narnia is. Dragonlance, though? Just not seeing it.

Faraer

Explorer
Well, as I understand it the case with Dragonlance is somewhere between compatible with and central to. I'm rather taking Tracy's word here, as my knowledge of Krynn isn't profound. Reading Tolkien's letters, though, you see how his Christianity is a constant underpinning, motivator, and guide for how every part of Arda is constructed -- though he (and I) would reject the 'allegory' accusation.

Just reading through the Dragonlance books (and I've really only read the original trilogy) I don't see anything that I'd point to and say, "yup, there's a Mormon doctrine right there" or anything like that.

The ethics and theology seem reasonably generic midwest American to me.

Benben

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Just reading through the Dragonlance books (and I've really only read the original trilogy) I don't see anything that I'd point to and say, "yup, there's a Mormon doctrine right there" or anything like that.

The ethics and theology seem reasonably generic midwest American to me.
I agree with Dragonlance not being an allegory of Latter Day Saint doctrine. I would say the Alivin Maker series by Orson Scott Card is a good example of Mormon allegory.

I know Hickman designed the arcane language in Dragonlance off of his knowledge of I believe Indonesian which he learned for his mission. I've also always found the Plainsfolk to have a "Lost Tribes of Israel" feel to them. That is probably due to them have a strange Native American/European feel to them. The Disks of Miskal remind me a little of the Golden Tablets, but are also hitting the "sacred scripture" mythological element common in many religions. So other than skills gained from his Mission the links seem to be pretty weak from what I remember of the series.

nikolai

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
[Re: Dragonlance based on Mormonism?!?] Saw this in the D&D movie poll, and I didn't want to clutter that thread up with tangents, but what's this about? Other than the fact that one of the authors, Tracy Hickman is a Mormon, I've never seen any correllations between Dragonlance and Mormonism, even to the extent that Lord of the Rings weakly correllates to Catholicism.

This is the first I've heard of it. But I have no knowledge of Mormonism, so I doubt I'm capable of making a informed judgement.

There are various levels of this sort of thing. Narnia is Christian allegory. This is pretty easy to spot, as one thing in the story represents something else; Edmund=Judas. The reason Tolkien would reject this for Lord of the Rings is because there are none of these correspondences.

The next level down is to use the metaphysics of a religion, and is subtler. The Lord of the Rings is Catholic, and Earthsea is Taoist. Though you'd miss a lot of this without careful reading and a pretty clear understanding of various theologies (and their nuances).

Too be honest, I'm not sure that Dragonlance is deep enough for this. It's been a while since I read the books, but I don't think there's anything in there that is unique even to Christianity. I'm with Joshua that the ethics just seem very generic. It wouldn't surprise me if it was compatible; but I'm sure there's lots of stuff that would be compatible, without any intent on the part of the author to make it so.

I have heard that Battlestar Galactica is based on Mormonism. True, False, Nonsense?

Last edited:

nikolai said:
I have heard that Battlestar Galactica is based on Mormonism. True, False, Nonsense?
Mostly nonsense, I'd say. They borrowed a few titles (High Council) but they are generic enough and not used in the same sense, so it's merely swiping an appropriate handy name. A better correllation would be between the denizens of the battlestars and the wanderings of the Children of Israel.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Saw this in the D&D movie poll, and I didn't want to clutter that thread up with tangents, but what's this about? Other than the fact that one of the authors, Tracy Hickman is a Mormon, I've never seen any correllations between Dragonlance and Mormonism, even to the extent that Lord of the Rings weakly correllates to Catholicism.

And I should know; I'm a Mormon too...

Anyway, just wondering where this sentiment comes from; what specifically is the supposed Mormon basis for Dragonlance?
It's always good to meet a fellow Mormon online. :)

I, too, haven't really seen any major similarities between Mormonism and Dragonlance, but then again it has been a long time since I've read the original Weis & Hickman Dragonlance novels. I'll probably have to reread them someday.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases