a simple question (treants & Eberron)

LadySynnovya

First Post
a simple question

I have but a simple question. I am having trouble understanding the difference between a tree ent (one like in the Lord of the Rings) and a 20th level druid tree from out of the Eberron book my husband/DM (Aka Erik) has in his possession. My husband, Orryn Emrys, tried to explain it to me. I still don't understand. So I went seeking knowledge from a friend of ours, an archmage of sorts (Aka Jason). He did explain what he could but I'm still stumped. Maybe I am not understanding that magic just does some things, but my curiousity is getting the best of me. I hope someone on here can help. I guess my one big curiousity that arises from all this is how can a tree ent have the ability to talk, see, and function without the help of a surrogate, if you will, human being inside them. It is a mystery to me. Thank you for any help you can give to me. My other thoughts stray to if the druid or if the tree ent would let living things live on them. I.E. bird, squirrels, chimpmunks, woodpeckers, etc... That thought is a lark...no pun intended. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hi, lurker! :)

I'll slide this over to the Rules forum and add an Eberron tag.

Be aware that treants are just like any other creature; they're big, living, intelligent trees that may have a distinctly non-human approach to life.

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
LadySynnovya said:
I am having trouble understanding the difference between a tree ent (one like in the Lord of the Rings) and a 20th level druid tree from out of the Eberron book

<snip>

I guess my one big curiousity that arises from all this is how can a tree ent have the ability to talk, see, and function without the help of a surrogate, if you will, human being inside them.

Tolkien envisioned Ents as spirits who happened to manifest themselves as walky tree guys. There isn't much to indicate that he thought about the biology of the process much.

I don't have my copy of Eberron on me, but I imagine it's much the same. I personally don't like using the phrase "it's magic, don't worry about it" but this is a case where I'm kind of forced to. I mean, just look at plant cells, you're not dealing with the most mobile thing in the world.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

ergeheilalt

First Post
The 20th level druid is an awakened tree as per the Awaken spell from the PHB, while a normal treant is born that way.

Key differences:
Treant - roughtly a combination of a human and a tree - face, eyes, hands, two legs. Has the power to animate trees ala Tolkienish Ents
Awakened Tree - Retains all the physical aspects of a normal tree with the exception of human like intellegence, wisdom, and charisma. An awakened tree gains senses similar to those of a human, but does not have "hands" and "legs" as do Treants.

Hope that helps,
Erge

ergeheilalt

First Post
LadySynnovya said:
I guess my one big curiousity that arises from all this is how can a tree ent have the ability to talk, see, and function without the help of a surrogate, if you will, human being inside them.

I missed this part. My guess is that the tree is usually attened to by various druids with the ability to cast "Speak with Plants". It's entirely possible that the awakened tree has a magic item that applies the reverse of said spell, allowing a plant to speak with humans, but that's only conjecture.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The biggest difference is that Oalian (The Awakened 20th level Druid Pine Tree) in Eberron was created that way, whereas a Treant (a Tree Ent) was born that way.

If you look at eberron, look at the Warforged for a closer approximation. It's like the difference between a Warforged and a Human Being; both walk, talk, drink potions, have feelings, etc. But the Warforged was created that way by a human being; the humans however are born into that life.

All other differences between Treants and Awakened trees are in terms of mechanics (Hit dice, Armor class, etc) and those differences are bigger. Oalian, which is basically an animated object with a soul, also has levels as a Druid, which a Treant is not born skilled in druidic magics and powers. A Treant has his own abilities, but would have to train in Druidic circles to get abilities like what Oalian would have.

Henry

Autoexreginated
LadySynnovya said:
My other thoughts stray to if the druid or if the tree ent would let living things live on them. I.E. bird, squirrels, chimpmunks, woodpeckers, etc...

I don't see why not, but I would imagine he'd draw the line at termites. :) He'd probably consider it quaint, much like a child in a papoose. It's what Oalian knew before he was awakened by magic, so he wouldn't consider it odd.

Remove ads