Gestalt Characters and Normal Characters in the same game...

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
I'm thinking of allowing gestalt characters as an option in my campaign. Originally I was thinking of applying a 40% XP penalty to any gestalt character, which would make it roughly equivalent to 1e and 2e Multiclassing, as far as balance is concerned.

However, I see one problem with this- certain class combinations are far more powerful than others. For instance, a Knight/Paladin or Rogue/Bard doesn't gain nearly the power of a Paladin/Sorcerer, Cleric/Wizard, or the like. Mainly I see the following- combining two characters of the same "type"- skilled, divine, arcane, or warrior- renders advantages, but not that great an advantage as combinding two of a different type.

So here's what I'm thinking-
2 from same category, or PC class + NPC class (ranger/adept, anyone? How about a fighter/expert?)- 20% penalty.
2 from different category- 40% penalty.

Sound like it would work, or should I just not touch this with a ten foot pole?

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Most favor the (3e-style) LA+2 for gestalt characters.

A word of warning, though: once PrCs come into play, 'same-type' or especially PC class/expert gestalting can be very effective. For instance, a Fighter/Paladin gestalt can qualify for and pursue PrCs much quicker than a straight Paladin, and in doing so can achieve some very powerful synergy.

And watch out for those Monk/Druids! :cool:

Philip

Explorer
Just remember that characters who lag behind in levels get more XP in 3.5. Actually, they quickly get roughly 28% more XP, so the XP penalty might be not as great a penalty as you think.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Philip said:
Just remember that characters who lag behind in levels get more XP in 3.5. Actually, they quickly get roughly 28% more XP, so the XP penalty might be not as great a penalty as you think.

You're right. LA is better, I think.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Well, I pretty much don't use EL races at all (we're low-level), and I still use the 3e style of awarding XP. Many combinations I would nix right out because they don't fit the setting- Monk/Anything (except perhaps a Dwarven Monk/Fighter), for instance...

Ferret

Explorer
What about combos that combine similiar 'weakness' Such as a Druid/bard, that could wear Studded Leather with no problems?

I suppose this is just me thinking from BG though.....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases