• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Helm of opposite alignment and undead

bobthebuilder

First Post
What happens if you put a helm of opposite alignment on a vampire?

There is no detail in the item description on the spells that are actually involved... the item description says that it is a moral and mental affect which leads me to believe it wouldn't affect undead (as they are immune to mind altering affects?)....

would appreciate your thoughts?

kreynolds

First Post
I say it effects undead...

"Strong transmutation; CL 12th; Create Wondrous Item, creator must be 12th level; Price 4,000 gp;Weight 3 lb."

bobthebuilder

First Post
kreynolds said:
I say it effects undead...

"Strong transmutation; CL 12th; Create Wondrous Item, creator must be 12th level; Price 4,000 gp;Weight 3 lb."

I assume you're basing it on the fact that it is a transmutation ?

kreynolds

First Post
Yup. It doesn't specify any spells as prerequisites, but if the aura was enchantment, I'd say it didn't affect undead. As it is, however, I think the intent is otherwise.

bobthebuilder

First Post
kreynolds said:
Yup. It doesn't specify any spells as prerequisites, but if the aura was enchantment, I'd say it didn't affect undead. As it is, however, I think the intent is otherwise.

Good argument... can't understand how the effect works though...

Sejs

First Post
I assume you're basing it on the fact that it is a transmutation?

Right, and there's no Mind Effecting transmutations, at least in the PHB (which is the only 3.5 book I have on hand to check atm).

Just to pitch in my two bits - it sounds like it would fly.

bobthebuilder

First Post
Sejs said:
Right, and there's no Mind Effecting transmutations, at least in the PHB (which is the only 3.5 book I have on hand to check atm).

Just to pitch in my two bits - it sounds like it would fly.

As in - u think it would work on the blood-sucker too?

Sejs

First Post
Yep, I do. The only grey area that I could see would be if you plonked the helm on say a zombie. Sure their alignment changes, but mindless is still mindless.

As for how it works mechanically, for the most part really strong transmutations don't so much influence how something reacts (like mind effects do), so much as change what something just -is-. Take for example Polymorph Any Object, that can turn a human into a rabbit - complete with the rabbit's intelligence, permanantly. But at the same time isn't a mind effecting spell.

bobthebuilder

First Post
Sejs said:
Yep, I do. The only grey area that I could see would be if you plonked the helm on say a zombie. Sure their alignment changes, but mindless is still mindless.

As for how it works mechanically, for the most part really strong transmutations don't so much influence how something reacts (like mind effects do), so much as change what something just -is-. Take for example Polymorph Any Object, that can turn a human into a rabbit - complete with the rabbit's intelligence, permanantly. But at the same time isn't a mind effecting spell.

Ok, two reasoned arguments is enough for me :)

Thanks

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads