• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blog post on the feel of D&D (marmell, reynolds et all)

Scarbonac said:
Bad idea then, bad idea now.
You don't like it, that's fine, but they haven't been in all versions and they aren't universally regarded as "what makes it D&D". Removing them does not move the game significantly away from "what it is", which is what the original and appropriate interpretation of "jumping the shark" would be.

Lizard

Explorer
People seem to be conflating "the rules are incomplete" with "the rules offer freedom".

One reason we HAVE rules is because "Let's pretend" tends to end in a lot of "Did not!" "Did too!" arguments.

From what I've seen of 4e, the possible set of *codified* actions is very small, smaller than in 3e. This means that if one looks down a list of "Possible combat options" for any character, there aren't that many, and of the ones which are there, it looks like there's always one overwhelmingly optimal choice.

"You can do anything!" is true of any GM-moderated game, so saying it's possible in 4e is like saying the game has dice. It's dim praise. Turning everything into a DM call is, pretty much, one step from playing Amber -- if it's "DM sets difficulty, DM describes results", then it comes down to "DM decides if he wants the players to succeed, then lets them pretend to roll." Without any kind of rules or guidelines for special actions beyond "Pick a difficulty", you really have nothing to go on, and if anyone things "The DM assigns a DC" is some kind of revolution in roleplaying game mechanics...well...you're wrong. Not much more to say than that.

No set of rules can, or should try to, cover all situations, but there should be enough rules that the DM can fill in the gaps based on similar rules. For example, in last nights game, we were facing very annoying creatures which had some kind of very high DR/bashing. we were ambushed sans cleric and with no bashing weapons, and we had one death (me), one would-have-died-but-for-DM-fiat, and one "knocked out and regenerating". (Ogre mage) IAE, once we deduced (via in-game experience, not metagaming) that we needed bashing weapons, I asked if I could smash down using the hilt of my sword, instead of swinging. The DM, experienced in the rules, figured that a:I'd take a non-proficiency penalty, since the weapon wasn't built for that, and, b:It would do less damage, treated as a weapon of one size smaller. Since rules for non-proficiency and 'scaling' were in the game, using them to make this judgement call was easy. Even more, if I'm with a different DM and have to do the same thing, I can point out those rules as the basis for a fair judgement -- or use them myself when it comes up in play.

From what I've seen of 4e, many of the options anyone can try in 3x -- disarm, trip, grapple, bull rush, overrun, sunder -- are either missing, restricted to feats/talents/powers, or neutered. You either use your 'buttons', as WOTC people have called them, or you rely on the tender mercies of the DM. Further, because fighter/rogue/etc attacks now come with a lot of flavor text, there is a *perception* of fewer options even though, mechanically, nothing has changed. In my games, a fighter might say, "I whirl my longsword overhead then slash downwards in a mighty chop!" or "I knock his shield arm out of the way and then go in for the kill!" -- even if all he's doing is rolling a standard attack. (Then, based on the dice roll, I can respond with "You smash down with a mighty blow, nearly cleaving his helm!" or "Sorry, he sidesteps easily and prepares to launch his counterstrike.") With 4e's "flavorful" exploits, it *feels* as if all you're doing is hitting a button labeled 'Careful Attack' over and over. I know that, mechanically, it's no different, but it FEELS more restrictive BECAUSE it's more detailed.

It's a phenomenon seen in many forms of art -- with abstractions, people fill in details, but if detail is given, they don't, even if they can/should, and you feel more distant from something 'realistic' than from something vague. (This is why 1e felt 'more free' than newer versions, despite having the most restrictive rules of all versions)

3x provided a lot of *mechanics* but very little *description* -- 4e seems to be going the other way, adding in a lot more 'fluff' in every area but giving fewer rules. For a lot of people, this is ideal; for me, it's making more work. I have to 'fight' the RAW every step of the way to strip out the fluff and get down to 'what kind of action are these rules modeling', and, further, I have to deal with a smaller set of 'data point actions'. The various things I listed above (disarm, etc) provide, if you will, points on a curve -- given a free-form player action, I have a lot of samples I can pick from that it's "sort of close to", and use them as guidelines. The variety of actions which provoke an AOO let me judge if a player action should, too. And so on. Now, maybe this depth is in the 4e DMs Guide, but from the oblique hints and wink-wink, nudge-nudge we've had from official WOTC sources, it seems it's more "How to set a DC" stuff without real crunch beyond that.

(As a side note, I think a lot of people use "First edition feel" to mean different things. To me, it means wild&wacky gonzo adventure -- the Arduin Grimoire is the ultimate "First Edition" book for me. While "Endless arguing over DM calls" was indeed a part of 1e play, it's not a part I want back. )

hong

WotC's bitch
Lizard said:
People seem to be conflating "the rules are incomplete" with "the rules offer freedom".

People seem to be conflating "the rules are incomplete" with "the rules are constricting".

From what I've seen of 4e, the possible set of *codified* actions is very small, smaller than in 3e. This means that if one looks down a list of "Possible combat options" for any character, there aren't that many, and of the ones which are there, it looks like there's always one overwhelmingly optimal choice.

From what I've seen of 4E, the possible set of codified actions is perfectly sufficient for 99% of the things you'll do in the game. Unless, of course, actions taken as part of your class abilities now don't count as "codified". I guess they're spontaneous expressions of the creativity of players, which just happen to be written down in 9-point serif type.

No set of rules can, or should try to, cover all situations, but there should be enough rules that the DM can fill in the gaps based on similar rules. For example, in last nights game, we were facing very annoying creatures which had some kind of very high DR/bashing. we were ambushed sans cleric and with no bashing weapons, and we had one death (me), one would-have-died-but-for-DM-fiat, and one "knocked out and regenerating". (Ogre mage) IAE, once we deduced (via in-game experience, not metagaming) that we needed bashing weapons, I asked if I could smash down using the hilt of my sword, instead of swinging. The DM, experienced in the rules, figured that a:I'd take a non-proficiency penalty, since the weapon wasn't built for that, and, b:It would do less damage, treated as a weapon of one size smaller. Since rules for non-proficiency and 'scaling' were in the game, using them to make this judgement call was easy. Even more, if I'm with a different DM and have to do the same thing, I can point out those rules as the basis for a fair judgement -- or use them myself when it comes up in play.

You can do this in 4E. Heck, you don't even need to worry about the nonproficiency penalty, because it's implicit in the lack of an attack bonus.

From what I've seen of 4e, many of the options anyone can try in 3x -- disarm, trip, grapple, bull rush, overrun, sunder -- are either missing, restricted to feats/talents/powers, or neutered. You either use your 'buttons', as WOTC people have called them, or you rely on the tender mercies of the DM.

Ah, so improvising a decision on the spot in 3E is a "fair judgement", but doing it in 4E is "relying on tender mercies". It's good to know that distinction. And: Str/Dex/Int/skill/whatever vs AC/Fort/Ref/Will. If you can't find a way to work it into that framework, give up now.

Further, because fighter/rogue/etc attacks now come with a lot of flavor text, there is a *perception* of fewer options even though, mechanically, nothing has changed.

The wonderful thing about perceptions is that, being independent of reality, they can be changed by a simple act of will.

I know that, mechanically, it's no different, but it FEELS more restrictive BECAUSE it's more detailed.

So feel different.

It's a phenomenon seen in many forms of art -- with abstractions, people fill in details, but if detail is given, they don't, even if they can/should, and you feel more distant from something 'realistic' than from something vague. (This is why 1e felt 'more free' than newer versions, despite having the most restrictive rules of all versions)

The problem with 3E's profusion of options is that most of them are false. Disarming is pointless the vast majority of the time, for the vast majority of people. Tripping ditto, grappling ditto, bull rushing ditto. This makes it a bad ruleset if what you really want is options. Consider examining the game as it is played, rather than this platonic ideal you seem to have constructed in your copious free time.

3x provided a lot of *mechanics* but very little *description* -- 4e seems to be going the other way, adding in a lot more 'fluff' in every area but giving fewer rules. For a lot of people, this is ideal; for me, it's making more work.

And therefore this is your problem, not anybody else's.

Lizard

Explorer
hong said:
The problem with 3E's profusion of options is that most of them are false. Disarming is pointless the vast majority of the time, for the vast majority of people. Tripping ditto, grappling ditto, bull rushing ditto. This makes it a bad ruleset if what you really want is options. Consider examining the game as it is played, rather than this platonic ideal you seem to have constructed in your copious free time.

I am. These things are used often in games I play and run -- and not only by those munchkined to take advantage of them.

And therefore this is your problem, not anybody else's.

If i'm the only customer who feels this way, true. If a lot of potential 4e customers feel this way, it's WOTC's problem.

hong

WotC's bitch
Lizard said:
I am. These things are used often in games I play and run -- and not only by those munchkined to take advantage of them.

Well, calling something munchkin is like a generic food metaphor. Sometimes chocolate is like anime, but sometimes peanut butter is kinda videogamey.

If i'm the only customer who feels this way, true. If a lot of potential 4e customers feel this way, it's WOTC's problem.

You could start a petition, I guess.

Wolfspider

Explorer
AllisterH said:
re: Book of Iron Might

Er, wasn't that book designed and written by Mike Mearls himself? I would assume when it comes to combat and balancing manoeuvers/exploits for martial characters while making them fun and believable, there's nobody else in the industry that comes close.

Have faith in the Mearls :D

I like the way he implimented combat maneuvers for 3rd edition. They are fun and seem balanced to me in practice.

I don't like what I've seen of the way such maneuvers are implimented in 4th edition. They seem artificially and illogically limited.

What's with the "Er"?

eleran

First Post
Lizard said:

And if a lot more of their customer's feel the opposite? Then what? How are they supposed to please 100% of the customer base?

Remove ads