Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Cleon

Legend
Loading them into the CC when the time comes? ;)

Don't get ahead of yourself. :p

The unconverted critters list for Spelljammer is here, updated last June. I believe we'd had a vote for the mortiss at some point, and we also got a request in November for the porton and skykine. Any of those tickle your fancy?

Hmm, Mortiss are kind of boring - they could be handled as a Hazard without much effort.

Of the other two, the Skykine is basically a big flying lizard without any special attacks. It doesn't even have that many Hit Dice for its size.

The Porton looks more interesting, plus it's a lot nastier. Shall we do that?

Cleon

Legend
Porton Original Stats

Porton
Climate/Terrain: The skies of Gnibile
Frequency: Very Rare
Organization: Solitary
Activity Cycle: Any
Diet: N/A
Intelligence: Non-(0)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
No. Appearing: 1
Armor Class: N/A
Movement: Fl 12 (D)
Hit Dice: 12
THAC0: N/A
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: Special
Special Attacks: Negative planar energy
Special Defenses: Can only be harmed by magic
Magic Resistance: 15%
Size: G (100’ diameter)
Morale: Fearless (20)
XP Value: 8,000

The porton is a strange creature unique to the world of Gnibile. It appears as a shimmering disk, definitely insubstantial and not truly visible in and of itself. When one looks at a porton, one sees not the creature but a strange distortion of the air, rather like the shimmering that can be seen over a fire or something very hot. This shimmering region is about 100’ in diameter and 8’ to 10’ in thickness. Because it does not reflect light at all, but only refracts it in some strange way, it is almost totally invisible at night. The disk-like creatures—if creatures they truly are—float slowly through the skies of Gnibile at a speed of about 12; they can achieve a maximum speed of 12, but they will not do so without a good reason. They always remain horizontal—that is, perpendicular to the direction toward Gnibile’s center—and can be encountered at any altitude within the air world.

There are many sages who claim that the portons are not really creatures as such. Instead, these sages claim, they are actually gates to the plane of negative energy that show some aspects of awareness.

Combat: Portons cannot be struck by any physical form of attack. They are effectively immaterial, and so can only be harmed by magic. Magical attacks against portons must be direct; in other words, the magic must pour damaging energy into the creatures. They cannot be harmed by any physical manifestation of a spell; thus ice storm and other spells that cause their damage through some physical manifestation do them no damage. Energy spells like lightning bolt, fireball, magic missile, etc. do harm them, as long as these dweomers can overcome the creatures’ innate magical resistance. Portons are totally immune to all mind-affecting and death magic, and to poison. Slow, haste, and similar spells are also totally ineffective. Since portons have no normal senses, darkness, blindness, silence, etc. are useless against them.

Portons can channel negative planar energy into themselves, and emit it in tight beams that resemble lightning bolts of impenetrable darkness. A porton can emit two such bolts per round, to a range of 250 yards. These bolts always strike their targets, and inflict 20d6 hit points of damage or 2d6 hull points (in both cases, save vs. breath weapon for half damage). Porton senses seem unable to detect any object of less than size H, so most adventurers do not have to worry about their attacks. (Spelljamming vessels are another story entirely.) Any creature or object that touches a porton is instantly gated to a randomly-selected negative quasi-elemental plane, with potentially dire consequences. The porton has no conscious control over this, and therefore cannot waive the effect even should it wish to. If it wants to avoid gating something away, all it can do is avoid touching it. It is suspected that several of the spelljamming ships lost in the atmosphere of Gnibile probably ran in to portons and ended up elsewhere.

Portons have no real sense of self-preservation. Even if they are attacked by a foe that could conceivably destroy them, they will continue with whatever they were doing when the attack started. Their only concession to their foe is to blast it with negative planar energy.

Habitat/Society: Portons are solitary creatures. Occasionally two portons will encounter each other, but they never acknowledge the meeting in any way. If the creatures communicate between themselves, it is via some channel that cannot be detected by physics or magic. There have never been any reports of portons dying from old age or natural causes; similarly, no one has ever reported spotting an immature porton. If they have any reproductive cycle at all, it remains a total mystery.

There does seem to be some vague connection between the portons and the more powerful undead inhabiting Gnibile. In the vicinity of the most powerful undead, portons are rare rather than very rare. Also, there is ambiguous evidence that some of the undead, such as Samanda, the Lich-Queen of Deathwatch, can somehow order the portons around, and expect them to follow simple instructions.

Ecology: Portons seem to draw all the energy they need from the various negative quasi-elemental planes. They do not eat anything and for obvious reasons, nothing preys upon them. They are thus totally outside the food chain.

Originally appeared in SJR6 - Greyspace (1992).

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Porton Working Draft

Porton
Colossal Elemental (incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 24d8+96 (204 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: Fly 30 ft. (6 squares, perfect, cannot run)
Armor Class: 4 (-8 size, +2 Dex), touch 4, flat-footed 4
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/—
Attack: Void touch +12 touch (void field)
Full Attack: Void touch +12 touch (void field)
Space/Reach: 40 ft./30 ft.
Special Attacks: Dark lightning, void field
Special Qualities: Blind, deaf, immunities, immunity to temporal effects, imprecise blindsight, negative energy affinity, spell resistance 21, susceptibility to energy damage
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +10, Will +8
Abilities: Str —, Dex 15, Con 18, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills:
Feats:
Environment: The skies of Gnibile (see below)
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 25-48 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment:

A disc of shimmering nothingness hangs in the sky. It's size is vast - maybe as wide as you could throw a dart or hammer and as tall as an ogre. There's no visible substance to it, just a twisting distortion in the air like the heat-haze above a furnace. It could just be a weird weather phenomenon, but it doesn't seem to be moving with the wind.

Portons are strange entities that exist by drawing energy from negative elemental planes. They are effectively autonomous, self-generating gateways to the various negative elemental planes. It is unclear whether a porton is "alive" in any conventional sense, for they are insubstantial beings without anatomy or organs. Anything that "touches" a porton risks being sucked through its gateway to one of the negative planes it feeds upon, maybe lost forever.

Portons are mindless beings who are unable to sense anything much smaller than itself. They wander the sky at random, virtually insensible to their surroundings. Portons fly continuously, never touching the ground. Indeed, if one should land the ground would likely disappear into a negative plane. Portons always fly in a horizontal orientation; their disc is never tilted.

A porton can focus negative energy into deadly bolts that look like lightning, if lightning were utterly black. They reflexively shoot these bolts at anything that obstructs their passage. Portons seem to lack any sense for self-preservation. Even if a powerful foe does potentially deadly injury to a porton, it will carry on doing whatever it was up to before the attack began; its only reaction is to blast the intruder with black lightning, just as it would any other obstacle.

It is unknown how – or if – portons reproduce. Some extremely powerful undead can order portons to follow simple instructions, possibly via a secret spell or feat.

A porton is weightless, approximately 100 feet in diameter, and 8 to 10 feet thick.

Combat
Although a porton can perform the Run action or make double moves, it very rarely does so. They just fly leisurely along, even if in the middle of a frenzied battle, using their black lightning against any object or creature that interferes with their travels. Portons rarely target humanoids with their black lightning because their blindsight is incapable of seeing creatures smaller than an elephant. A porton will only use its touch attack by accident or if compelled to by another creature, such as a powerful lich.

While a porton does not wittingly "fight" it is also incapable of retreat or surrender; it will continue projecting Black Lightning until any irritants in its way have been removed or the porton is destroyed.

Blind (Ex): Portons are immune to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.

Dark Lightning (Su): As a standard action, a porton can unleash two beams of negative energy that resemble bolts of black lightning. Dark lightning has a 750 ft. range and strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Each beam does 20d6 points of negative energy damage (Fort DC 26 half damage). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Deaf (Ex): A porton is completely incapable of perceiving sound, and is thus immune to language-dependent effects and sonic effects dependent on hearing. The creature has adapted to this limitation and thus suffers no penalty on initiative checks because of its deafness.

Immunities (Ex): In addition to the standard immunities of an elemental (poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits, flanking, and spells that restore souls to their bodies such as raise dead), a porton is immune to disease, death effects and mind-affecting attacks.

Immune to Temporal Effects (Su): Portons are immune to transmutation spells that allow spell resistance and affect the porton's flow of time. These include haste, slow, temporal stasis, and aging effects (including magical ones).

Imprecise Blindsight (Ex): Portons have a mysterious ability to perceive objects or creatures within a 1000 feet range, but this sense can only clearly "see" massive objects. Imprecise blindsight works like normal blindsight against targets that are Gargantuan size or larger. It works like blindsense (50% miss chance, which does apply to Dark Lightning) against Huge targets. Targets that are Large or smaller are undetectable to a Porton's blindsight.

Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) A porton is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy as if it were an undead creature.

Susceptibility To Energy Damage (Ex): A porton's incorporeal subtype never protects it from energy damage. For example, a porton's incorporeality gives it a 50% chance to ignore the 3d6 bludgeoning damage from an ice storm spell, but it does not ignore the ice storm's 2d6 cold damage. The porton's spell resistance still applies.

Void Field (Su): Portons form a natural conduit to the Negative Energy Plane. Any creature or object that touches a porton must succeed at a DC 22 Will save or be instantly gated to the Negative Energy Plane (at the DM's discretion, the destination could be any plane with the major negative-dominant trait). Weapon attacks that hit the porton (including ranged attacks) do their damage to the porton before they must resolve the Will save against the weapon being gated away. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A creature or object that continues to contact a porton (because it's grappling or impaling the porton, for example) must succeed at this Will save on each subsequent round of contact or be sucked into the Negative Energy Plane.

A porton can expose another creature or object to its void field by making a successful touch attack.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That font color is a bit difficult to read in the legacy forum style (which is usually light text on black background). You mind changing it back to default?

Anyway, if we want to make them Colossal (and I agree), I think I'd at least double the HD. The real question is the type. I'm thinking Outsider or possibly Elemental and incorporeal.

Cleon

Legend
That font color is a bit difficult to read in the legacy forum style (which is usually light text on black background). You mind changing it back to default?

It looked like the default color from where I'm sitting, I didn't even know it had changed it.

Should be easy enough to copy-replace the offending tags...

...there you go.​

Anyway, if we want to make them Colossal (and I agree), I think I'd at least double the HD. The real question is the type. I'm thinking Outsider or possibly Elemental and incorporeal.

Yes, I was planning to increase the Hit Dice.

Elemental seems a slightly better fit than Outsider, but I would be OK with both.

Native?

Tomb-Tainted, or at least immunity to negative energy effects?

freyar

Thanks!

Let's go with tomb-tainted incorporeal elemental. That's pretty unusual. I'd leave off the extraplanar subtype, sure.

Cleon

Legend
Thanks!

Let's go with tomb-tainted incorporeal elemental. That's pretty unusual. I'd leave off the extraplanar subtype, sure.

Fine by me. Come to think of it it doesn't need Native, since under RAW that's only for Outsiders.

Updating Porton Working Draft.

Should it be affected by turn/rebuke undead from being Tomb-Tainted? There's no mention of such in the original, although there is that vague "obeys a mighty undead" quirk.

freyar

Hmm, that is a usual feature of tomb-tainted, and I think rebuking/commanding is a reasonable extrapolation from the original text. I could see adding some amount of turning resistance, though.

Remove ads