• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk tradition

User_Undefined

First Post
After I was able to wrap my head around the magic system in O.L.D., I immediately wanted to make a firemage that punched people, but had trouble finding the tradition combination that worked with it. So I made a monk, but I'm sure there needs to be a little bit of tweaking.

Monk 1d6+3 years
Prerequisites: STR and AGI total 7, END and WIL total 6
I am absolutely horrible at writing flavor text.
STR +1, AGI +1, END +1, WIL +1
MEDITATION, [LORE SKILLS], [PHYSICAL SKILLS], [COMBAT SKILLS]
I. +1 die bonus to hit and damage with one weapon or unarmed
II. +1 SPEED and +5' horizontal and vertical jump distance
III. You may climb your SPEED instead of half your SPEED
IV. +2 die bonus against compulsions and charms
V. +2 die bonus against falsehoods and illusions
VI. Gain SOAK 5 and REP +1

Sniperfox47

First Post
I like it. Not sure about the balance, but it seems like it offers a nice distinct playstyle.

Suggestion though: change the prerequisites from totals of 7 and 6 to 7+ and 6+. Just makes it a little more explicit so you don't get people going "Well your strength and agility equal 9, not 7!"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I love the idea! Some of those benefits are probably better expressed as skills (in fact running and climbing are already skills which do exactly what Monk II gives you).

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Just personally, I'd drop [Combat Skills] and give them Staff and Unarmed Combat.

Monk 1d6 + 3 years
Prereqs: Str + Agi 7+; End + Wil 6+
You spent a number of years on a retreat from society, living as a monk in a monastery. The order practiced martial arts as a form of meditation, this has carried over to your life after you return to adventuring.
STR +1, AGI +1, END +1, WIL +1
Meditation, Unarmed Combat, Staff, [Lore Skills]
i. +1 die damage to Unarmed attacks or Staff
ii. You gain Running and Jumping as bonus skills
iii. +4 Mental Defense
iv. +2 dice damage to Unarmed attacks and/or Staff attacks (replaces i, does not stack)
v. Soak 5, Rep +1
Also, once we have a playtest document for N.O.W. I'd probably drop one of the attributes (maybe change it to End OR Wil +1 and have them alternate per rank) and give them Chi +1 per rank.

Sniperfox47

First Post
I love the idea! Some of those benefits are probably better expressed as skills (in fact running and climbing are already skills which do exactly what Monk II gives you).

Issue with that, Morrus, is stacking. Skills don't stack, so if you want a tradition that focuses in running for example, adding running as a skill isn't going to help. At least how I've heard skills explained.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Issue with that, Morrus, is stacking. Skills don't stack, so if you want a tradition that focuses in running for example, adding running as a skill isn't going to help. At least how I've heard skills explained.

I think at that point, though, is that we should be thinking about how a tradition that focuses on running can have an interest, unique running feature. If you just want to make it fast, you can do that simply by giving it the skill and the appropriate attribute adjustments. You make it interesting by giving it cool running abilities that other people don't have.

For example, how about a "burst of speed" ability, or the ability to move fast enough to not attract overwatch fire (admittedly that's probably better in N.E.W.) or - in place of the jumping bonus - some kind of cool parkour thing like being able to fall further?

User_Undefined

First Post
Just personally, I'd drop [Combat Skills] and give them Staff and Unarmed Combat.
Also, once we have a playtest document for N.O.W. I'd probably drop one of the attributes (maybe change it to End OR Wil +1 and have them alternate per rank) and give them Chi +1 per rank.

Personally, I'd leave the skill choice as-is. Even though staff and unarmed are the quintessential monk, that feels limiting to them.

I'll have to wait and see how the CHI system works first, but I would probably change the monk to use it.

The skill vs. ability question came up with the bookmage tradition (I can't find the thread for it though). While mechanically, they're basically the same, there is a difference in flavor. I understand skills as areas that you consciously work to become better at, while the abilities you get from traditions are something that happen as you advance through it. I see monks becoming naturally faster and more mobile as they train, which is expressed in the increase in speed and jump distance. If someone wanted to focus on that aspect by also taking running and jumping skills in lieu of, say, calligraphy and history, I don't see an issue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads