• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why play a pact blade warlock?

I am not pissy, trust me you would know if I was.

But you didn't answer the question, you know what nevermind fan boys like you who can't see the problems are not worth the time to respond to.
Don't be namecalling, mon. It ain't righteous.

Sacrosanct did answer your question with a perfectly valid response: because he wants to play a warlock.
I answered your question with another valid response: I won't judge the class until I've seen it.

hive_mind

Explorer
Are you reading the "Finally" thread? Because there's a whole lot in there that makes a Pact Blade Warlock anything other than what you're implying.

Specifically look around page 49 or so for some damage numbers. The whole thread has lots of amplifying info.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
Why would someone play a pact blade warlock?

At 11th level they can either make 2 melee attacks with their pact blade, or make 3 attacks with eldritch blast. At 17th level it is still only 2 melee attacks vs now 4 eldritch blast attacks.

It seems pointless to go melee as a warlock, which is a shame.
Because going melee is cool, even if it's mechanically inferior

Also it depends if each of the 4 blasts gets Cha to damage (with the invocation) or only a single one (IIRC there is a Mearls twitter saying that for wizards, who get a similiar feature, the added Int mod only applies to one ray for spells that split up like eldritch blast does). If it's only a single blast, than two hits from the pact blade (with added Cha) are equal to four hits from the blast

Last edited:

jadrax

Adventurer
Hey that's me! My concept is inspired by Elric, and I envision a doomed hero whose powers seem more like curses, wielding a hungry blade for a demon benefactor he both serves and despises.

I can't see why this wouldn't be a perfect fit for a pact warlock.

Yeah, Bladepact Warlock has definite Elric vibes to it.

Scorpio616

First Post
Because two normal melee attacks are better than three attacks at disadvantage?
Waaay better unless the foe has terrible AC.

And even if sub optimal there are some concepts that appeal to folks so much they will be played no matter how much the number crunchers decry their stats. Even if there is an Eldritch Abomination Pact that you'd have to be crazy to take, there would be takers :lol: .

Last edited:

Samurai

Adventurer
Because two normal melee attacks are better than three attacks at disadvantage?

Exactly right. I don't think people are grasping the difficulties of trying to use ranged attacks when an enemy is in melee with you. Sure, it doesn't provoke an AoO anymore, but you have disadvantage on all your ranged attacks, whether they are magical or mundane. And you can't just step back 5' anymore, there is no 5' step. Unless you are a Rogue, you'll need to spend your Action to disengage, which means no spell being cast that round. Or you can use your Move to just move away and take an AoO, effectively giving the enemy an additional attack each round. And the enemy can just follow you and re-enter melee on its turn again. So unless you want practically all your attacks after round 1 to be at Disadvantage (which would be very, very frustrating as you miss each attack), you'd better have some melee options as well, even if they aren't quite as good as your ranged options.

Dastion

First Post
Why play a Blade Pact Warlock?

The Polelocke - Level 5 Human Warlock:
-Blade Pact: Form a Glaive/Halberd/Pike (congrats, you're proficient with it)
-War Caster Feat (Human Variant): Adv on Conc Checks, Cast while Wielding Weapons, Replace an opportunity attack with a spell that targets a single creature.
-Polearm Master Feat (Level 4): Can use the haft as a 1d4 melee weapon as a bonus action, enemies who enter your reach grant an opportunity attack.
-Invocations: Agonizing Blast (Cha to Eldritch Blast); Repelling Blast (Eldritch Blast knocks target 10 feet away); Thirsting Blade (two attacks);

Now you have a character with reach attacks who can also hit with the Haft of his Polearm for a 1d4 weapon damage melee attack (nothing says that attack doesn't get your strength bonus).

And now for the juicy part, when someone enters your reach (in addition to leaving your reach) you get to make an Opportunity Attack against them. With Warcaster you can instead cast a spell that takes a single action - which will likely be Eldritch Blast (this is a Reach weapon, so when he enters your range he isn't within 5 feet of you, so no disadvantage). So you get to hit him up to twice for 1d10+Cha and potentially knock him back 20 feet away from you. The enemy is now hurting, up to 25 feet away, and may not be able to even get to you without using his action to dash. And this isn't even on your turn.

Technically you can do this from level 4, but only with 1 Blast/Attack. And it just gets better at higher levels. Once you get Thirsting Blade to add your Cha to your pact weapon's damage that means that you're attacking 2x for 1d10+cha+str and 1x for 1d4+cha+str in addition to having devastating opportunity attacks.

Pick whatever Patron you wish. My suggestion is Fiend for the extra staying power it's features provide and it gives you some much needed AoE options with your spells.

Last edited:

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
To answer the OP: at level 5 you can get an invocation that gives you Extra Attack, and at level 12 or so yo get another invocation that lets you add charisma to damage.

Here's a simple damage breakdown at level 15, assuming +4 str and +4 Cha:

Greatsword blade lock: (2d6+8)x2=30 average damage on a hit, not counting crits.
Eldritch Blast (with agonizing invocation): 3d10+4=20.5 average damage on a hit
(28.5 if you add charisma three times, which seems unlikely.)

So the blade lock does more damage on a hit. The blaster can get invocations to do half damage on a miss, which raises his DPR probably ahead of the blade lock, but then the blade lock can take great weapon master to knock it out of the park. Plus, as others have said, you get disadvantage casting ranged spells into melee.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads