• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Appendix E: worldbooks for all 57 authors?

By 2020 I'd like to see a published D&D5E worldbook for all 57 authors listed in Appendix E (the new "Appendix N").

I suggest that WotC do two things to realize this:

1) Make sure that 5E is an Open Game come springtime.
2) Proactively engage with fantasy and scifi publishers of all sizes. Inspire and facilitate them making a licensed D&D worldbook for each of their worlds.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
By 2020 I'd like to see a published D&D5E worldbook for all 57 authors listed in Appendix E (the new "Appendix N").

2) Proactively engage with fantasy and scifi publishers of all sizes. Inspire and facilitate them making a licensed D&D worldbook for each of their worlds.
That seems ... unlikely. Even in the heyday of D20 and the OGL, there was no particular mad rush for all of Appendix N to get adaptations. Even the Dying Earth was its own game with a D20 adaptation of that as a way to promote the main game line.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

So in a matter of 5 years, you want 57 worldbooks? More than that, as some authors list more than one series? That's about 12 a year. You want monthly worldbooks? What subscription fee would you pay to get a monthly worldbook?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
So in a matter of 5 years, you want 57 worldbooks? More than that, as some authors list more than one series? That's about 12 a year. You want monthly worldbooks? What subscription fee would you pay to get a monthly worldbook?
I would gladly pay a monthly fee of up to 50 cents. But only if there was a complimentary flying pony with my subscription.

57 worldbooks in 6 or 12 years isn't so many.

Consider the d20/OGL era. All sorts of existing fictional worlds were depicted with Third Edition-ish rules. I dredged up an old EN World post from 2003, which I've copied and pasted here. Within three years (from 2000 to 2003), this thread counted 78 Intellectual Properties which included d20 stats. Though not all of them were full worldbooks. And that's not counting the entirely new IPs which came into existence solely through d20 or OGL, such as Mutants & Masterminds and Spycraft.

Here's a list of all the Intellectual Properties I could think of which pre-date the d20 license, and which have since appeared in an official d20/OGL incarnation -- or at least with dual-stats. Entries in parentheses indicate IPs which are purportedly on their way to d20/OGL. Entries in curly brackets {} are IPs which have appeared in d20 form in only a limited way, without a worldbook (e.g. in adventure modules or magazine articles). Asterisked IPs are those few which post-date the d20 license, but which have non-d20/OGL incarnations as well. Other than those few, this list doesn't include IPs which were first published after the 2000 GenCon (such as Dragonstar, Spycraft, Mutants & Masterminds, etc.). Explanatory notes are enclosed in square brackets [].

7th Sea
*{Aernth} [licensed dual-stat Rolemaster/d20 adventures in Guild Companion e-zine]
(All Flesh Must Be Eaten)
(Atomic City)
(Babylon 5)
(Big Eyes Small Mouth)
(Blackmoor)
Call of Cthulhu
Call of Cthulhu: 1920's Lovecraft Country
(Call of Cthulhu: Delta Green)
*(Call of Cthulhu: Pulp Cthulhu) [BRP/d20]
(Centauri Knights)
Chainmail
(Chill)
(Conan/Hyborian Age)
*(Core Command) [Silhouette CORE/OGL]
(CrossGen)
Deadlands
Deadlands: Hell on Earth
Deadlands: Lost Colony
(R.A. Salvatore's Demon Wars)
Diablo II
(Dragon Fist)
(Dragonlance)
Dungeons & Dragons
The End
Engel
Everquest
Fading Suns
Farscape
{Feng Shui} [Coriolis dual-stat adventure]
Forgotten Realms
*(Fvlminata)
(Gamma World); {Omega World}
(Gear Krieg); {Gear Krieg} [Silhouette CORE/OGL; d20 Mecha Compendium]
*{Golandra} [licensed dual-stat Rolemaster/d20 adventures in Guild Companion e-zine]
*Godlike [O.R.E./OGL]
Green Races [< DragonElves CCG]
Greyhawk
{Greyhawk 2000} [Dungeon magazine]
{Hârnworld} [Columbia Games dual-stat HârnMaster/d20 adventures]
(Heavy Gear); {Heavy Gear} [Silhouette CORE/OGL; d20 Mecha Compendium]
(Humaliens)
(Initial D)
(Jovian Chronicles); {Jovian Chronicles} [Silhouette CORE/OGL; d20 Mecha Compendium]
Judge Dredd
Kingdoms of Kalamar
Legend of the Five Rings
(Lone Wolf/Magnamund)
(Macho Women With Guns)
*(M-Force) [QAGS/d20]
Munchkin
Necropolis
(The Nocturals)
{Planescape} [Manual of the Planes, Dragon magazine]
Ravenloft
{Shannara} [Dragon magazine]
*Silver Age Sentinels [Tri-Stat/d20]
Sláine
(Slayers)
SnarfQuest
(George R. R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire); ({Westeros}) [GoO; Dragon magazine]
Sovereign Stone
{Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon}
(Star Ace)
Star Wars
(Stargate)
*({Starship Yakaze}) [Action!/d20]
(StormWatch/The Authority)? [Tri-Stat/d20?]
Traveller
(Tribe 8); Tribe 8 [Silhouette CORE/OGL; Silhouette/d20]
Twin Crowns [<LARP]
{Unknown Armies} [Coriolis dual-stat adventure]
{Usagi Yojimbo} [Instant Fuzion/d20 monster book]
(Warcraft)
*(Warlord) [<CCG]
Wheel of Time
(The Wilderlands of High Fantasy/City-State of the Invincible Overlord)
Worlds of the Eternal Champion/Young Kingdoms/Elric

Did I miss any? All this in less than three years. Whether one is pro- or anti-d20, isn't this remarkable?

To Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...P-Conversions-Since-GenCon-2000#ixzz39rLchm00

Last edited:

Remove ads