• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Any further clarification to Hiding in Player's Handbook?

variant

Adventurer
Thats a cop out. If they wanted hiding to be dm discretion, they should have highlighted snd emphasized that, which they have not done. Instead they have attempted to codify it and done a bad job. Dont misunderstand me, id love for that to be a throw away sentence in the hiding rules, that if youre unsure or dont like it - dm discretion applies. Devs, if youre following this thread, please cure all our rule finicky woes and put this golden rule into the DMG as clear as day. Thank you.

It's not a cop out at all, it's a design decision the designers made. It is quite clear what a DM is and does when it is described in the Introduction section.

Juriel

First Post
It's not a cop out at all, it's a design decision the designers made. It is quite clear what a DM is and does when it is described in the Introduction section.

You cannot say bad rules are intentional, just because there's a 'do what thou wilt' clause.

When there's multiple rules segments that try to cover stealth (and fail), rather than a single section saying 'roll Stealth, or maybe not, ask your GM', they obviously wanted to offer you a codified framework. They just did it badly.

variant

Adventurer
You cannot say bad rules are intentional, just because there's a 'do what thou wilt' clause.

When there's multiple rules segments that try to cover stealth (and fail), rather than a single section saying 'roll Stealth, or maybe not, ask your GM', they obviously wanted to offer you a codified framework. They just did it badly.

I don't consider them bad rules at all. So simply because it is your opinion that they are bad rules, doesn't make it so.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Hmm I understand mearls tweeted trying to hide mid combat while foes are watching ought to be done at disad. That probably solves a lot of the peekaboo problems for me, since it wont work most of the time, players wont try it much and i wont have to worry about it. Combine that ruling with substituting the lightfoot halfling ability with the woodelf one, and it might just all work out :p

Iosue

Legend
Ok, I understand if you see it as an extra check.

I was thinking more about the ambush situation in the Starter Set.
My players see the dead horses.
I ask them what they want to do.
Most of them move forward or stay back, I use passive perception.
One of them wants to move forward and look out for trouble in the meanwhile
I was thinking I need to ask for a Perception roll.

But if I understand correctly it means that even if the roll is lower than the passive perception I can use the latter?

I thought I couldn't which caused my confusion.
Right, the goblins' stealth first has to beat the scout's Passive Perception. If they do, then the scout rolls active perception to search. Passive perception is an absolute floor. Actively searching doesn't negate it.

That doesn't match my understanding: you either take the passive, when you are not specifically looking, or you actively look and so you roll the dice and take the result. My reasoning is that the rules specify Passive wisdom as something used instead of rolling the dice, and because the purpose of the dice is to add the possibility of surprising and strange results. If everybody had a perception roll 'floor' of 10, then there is absolutely no interest to the roll in many cases.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
That doesn't match my understanding: you either take the passive, when you are not specifically looking, or you actively look and so you roll the dice and take the result. My reasoning is that the rules specify Passive wisdom as something used instead of rolling the dice, and because the purpose of the dice is to add the possibility of surprising and strange results. If everybody had a perception roll 'floor' of 10, then there is absolutely no interest to the roll in many cases.

The reason there is an effective floor is because the goblin isn't considered hidden unless its Stealth roll beats your Passive Perception.

Cheers!

Juriel

First Post
I don't consider them bad rules at all. So simply because it is your opinion that they are bad rules, doesn't make it so.

No, but multiple people keeping asking about how the stealth system works does make it so.

If they were good, they would be clear, and there would be much less clarifying needed.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
The reason there is an effective floor is because the goblin isn't considered hidden unless its Stealth roll beats your Passive Perception.

Cheers!

If youre trying to hide mid combat, there is no passive perception, its a contest instead, stealth vs perception

Remove ads