• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Any further clarification to Hiding in Player's Handbook?

Branduil

Hero
A character that's fully obscured still needs to make a Hide check to be hidden because Perception involves both sight and sound. They would still get advantage on an attack though, because advantage only requires being unseen, not being hidden.

Iosue

Legend
Can you actually quote and explain the rules in question? I have quoted them, and they do not back your interpretation up. The idea that you can "take ten" on an active check and still have the opportunity to get above ten on the roll is radical and completely contrary to how the rules of the game normally work. The only thing that ever allows it, AFAIK, is a major class ability for the Rogue.

Yeah, that is more in the nature of a houserule than anything the rules directly say. I'm happy to reduce the rolls to mean that only the active participants (i.e. players) make the rolls, following the chain of logic, even if the rules don't allow it.
Passive is passive, active is active. But it's Perception all the same. People are hiding in a room. You walk into the room. Right off the bat, their Dexterity (Stealth) check has to beat your Passive Perception in order to remain hidden. That's right there on p. 60 of Basic v2.0, p. 6 of the Starter Set Rulebook, and p. 177 of the Players Handbook. Let's say they beat it. Now you search the room, give it more attention. You roll. Now it doesn't matter if you roll low or not, because they've already beaten your Passive Perception. You'll only discover them if your active Wisdom (Perception) roll beats their Dexterity (Stealth) roll.

The key is that Passive Perception is always on. That's why it has it's own place on the character sheet. As it notes under "Passive Checks", the rules of hiding and exploration "rely" on passive checks. It's distinct from, say, taking 10 on Dexterity (Thieves' Tools) check to pick a lock because it's not a distinct action that players are taking a lot of time on, it's something always in effect. The example originally in question, the goblin ambush in the Starter Set, is an excellent example. Each character is only surprised if the goblins' stealth beats that character's Passive Perception. The players don't have to "take 10" to use their character's passive perception; it's always in effect whenever the DM feels there is something they might notice without looking for it. The players never even have to reference it. If a player decides to use their active perception, that represents attention paid above and beyond their normal degree of alertness.

Otherwise, you get the bizarre situation asked about: a character actively searching rolls low and fails the check, while their passive perception score would have been enough to beat the Stealth check. That would not be in the spirit (or letter) of the rules -- it'd be an artifact of mechanical resolution systems, divorced from the in-game reality.

tl;dr: Making an active Wisdom (Perception) check doesn't "turn off" Passive Perception. At the very least, the character's Passive Perception is in effect right up to the point they make the contest, and if it beats the Stealth check, the character notices the hidden character, making the active check superfluous.

Agamon

Adventurer
On alert does = looking around, it doesnt necessarily require you to use an action, eg mid combat hiding, stealth check vs perception check, not passive perception.

If a player says, "I look up at the ceiling. Do I see anything?" That's active. The actual definition of passive skill checks is doing something over and over again, such as when the party is exploring. They can slow down because they are "on alert", but that still uses passive, but with advantage.

Eryndur

Explorer
It should be noted that according to the Vision and Light rules, lightly obscured areas (and thus dimly lit areas, as well) impose disadvantage on all Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight. A PC's Passive Perception score is still defined as a check, so I interpret this to mean that in a great many circumstances, Stealth Checks will be opposed by Passive Perception scores that are 5 lower than normal.

Take the opening ambush encounter in the Starter Set. Those goblins are in foliage that provides light obscurement. I ruled that their stealth checks were opposed by the PCs Passive Perceptions score -5. The average PP score was about 13, so they were working with modified scores of about 8. Goblins had +6 to their Stealth rolls. As you can no doubt surmise, they easily achieved surprise.

I only point this out because I haven't seen anyone mention this rule in the discussion so far, and it seems like one that would be applied in more cases than not.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
If a player says, "I look up at the ceiling. Do I see anything?" That's active. The actual definition of passive skill checks is doing something over and over again, such as when the party is exploring. They can slow down because they are "on alert", but that still uses passive, but with advantage.

yeah i think this is the part i most dislike about passive, the "over and over" again part. Which demonstrates the real reason for the rule, to prevent, for example the party saying "we keep searching the room till we roll 20..." or " I keep trying to remember something about Lord Blah Blah until I roll a 20".

A better rule is to simply say you can only search once until something changes - they get more info, another clue, whatever.

In any event, for my games, i wont be using passive at all. It's just a sh*t mechanic, not needed, and screws with trap DC vs passive DC = auto result = lame.

Agamon

Adventurer
It should be noted that according to the Vision and Light rules, lightly obscured areas (and thus dimly lit areas, as well) impose disadvantage on all Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight. A PC's Passive Perception score is still defined as a check, so I interpret this to mean that in a great many circumstances, Stealth Checks will be opposed by Passive Perception scores that are 5 lower than normal.

I would take this to actually mean that the observer needs to be in the obscurement themselves to have disadvantage. Otherwise, like you say, the perception checks will always be at disadvantage, which I'm pretty sure is not the intention.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Passive is passive, active is active. But it's Perception all the same. People are hiding in a room. You walk into the room. Right off the bat, their Dexterity (Stealth) check has to beat your Passive Perception in order to remain hidden. That's right there on p. 60 of Basic v2.0, p. 6 of the Starter Set Rulebook, and p. 177 of the Players Handbook. Let's say they beat it. Now you search the room, give it more attention. You roll. Now it doesn't matter if you roll low or not, because they've already beaten your Passive Perception. You'll only discover them if your active Wisdom (Perception) roll beats their Dexterity (Stealth) roll.

The key is that Passive Perception is always on. That's why it has it's own place on the character sheet. As it notes under "Passive Checks", the rules of hiding and exploration "rely" on passive checks. It's distinct from, say, taking 10 on Dexterity (Thieves' Tools) check to pick a lock because it's not a distinct action that players are taking a lot of time on, it's something always in effect. The example originally in question, the goblin ambush in the Starter Set, is an excellent example. Each character is only surprised if the goblins' stealth beats that character's Passive Perception. The players don't have to "take 10" to use their character's passive perception; it's always in effect whenever the DM feels there is something they might notice without looking for it. The players never even have to reference it. If a player decides to use their active perception, that represents attention paid above and beyond their normal degree of alertness.

Otherwise, you get the bizarre situation asked about: a character actively searching rolls low and fails the check, while their passive perception score would have been enough to beat the Stealth check. That would not be in the spirit (or letter) of the rules -- it'd be an artifact of mechanical resolution systems, divorced from the in-game reality.

tl;dr: Making an active Wisdom (Perception) check doesn't "turn off" Passive Perception. At the very least, the character's Passive Perception is in effect right up to the point they make the contest, and if it beats the Stealth check, the character notices the hidden character, making the active check superfluous.
Theres nothing bizarre about a low roll = failed check. Its the basic premise of the game. What is bizarre is the passive perception score mechanic itself; utterly contrary to the rest of the dnd system, an unfortunate extrapolation of the take 10 rule from3e, and later 4e, which sadly did not get eliminated in playtesting. Hmm actually was it even in the playtests, I dont recall.

Last edited:

Remove ads