• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ask me Monster Manual questions!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't intend to turn this into one of those mega-long threads where hundreds if questions get asked. But I'm reading the MM so I'll answer a small number before bed. So ask away! I'm here for a little while. Offer does not extend when I wake up in the morning, as I have a crapload of Gen Con news and stuff to start writing.

Overall impression - very readable. This is not just a reference book. This pleases me. It's very, very pretty, too. Every monster illustrated in full colour.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Quick one i'll ask since I dont have the table of contents link handy:

Is there a Rust Monster, and is its rusting temporary or permanent? (I remember Mearls having an example like this several years ago with "temporary" item damage)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Quick one i'll ask since I dont have the table of contents link handy:

Is there a Rust Monster, and is its rusting temporary or permanent? (I remember Mearls having an example like this several years ago with "temporary" item damage)

Yes, and yes! The weapon takes a permanent and cumulative -1 to damage, and is destroyed at -5. Similar for armour (-1 AC per, destroyed at AC 10).

Derren

Hero
Are there any general devil or dragon traits which are not part of the stat block of each different devil/dragon or are, for example, the examples of the Bone Devil or Red Dragon complete with no other traits hidden in some other, not previewed, part of the MM?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Are there any general devil or dragon traits which are not part of the stat block of each different devil/dragon or are, for example, the examples of the Bone Devil or Red Dragon complete with no other traits hidden in some other, not previewed, part of the MM?

I'm sorry! I reread that question several times, but I can't parse it. Could you maybe rephrase it?

Warunsun

First Post
I'm sorry! I reread that question several times, but I can't parse it. Could you maybe rephrase it?
He is asking is there a section at the beginning of all dragons before the individual statistic blocks that lists traits and powers common to all dragons? Stuff that wasn't necessarily repeated in individual stat blocks but useable by DMs. Thanks.

Derren

Hero

It was speculated in the thread about the Bone Devil that there are general devil abilities not shown in the stat block as otherwise the bone devil would be rather boring. Also I think it is strange that the ancient red dragon has not even a resistance to nonmagical weapons and that its attacks also do not count as magical.

The question is if there are general dragon or devil traits listed somewhere which get applied to all dragons/devils and are not repeated in the statblocks? Something like "All devils can Dimension Door at will" or "all dragons have resistance to nonmagical weapons"?

And another question, are there rules to give monsters class levels?

Last edited:

SigmaOne

First Post
What's your favorite / the most interesting / coolest monster so far? (You can take that as one question or multiple.)

What's surprised you the most so far in reading it?

Beyond what's in the Basic DM rules and the monsters themselves, what kind of support for working with monsters is there, if any?

Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He is asking is there a section at the beginning of all dragons before the individual statistic blocks that lists traits and powers common to all dragons? Stuff that wasn't necessarily repeated in individual stat blocks but useable by DMs. Thanks.

There's a load of background info (eg devils talks about the Infernal Hierarchy and such) but not a lot in terms of actual rules.

Dragons have a page about lairs, greed, ego, Tiamat, etc. Plus a table of ages and an innate spell casting variant sidebar.

Devils have stuff on ambition, soul dealing, hierarchy, The Nine Hells, true names. Plus a devil summoning variant rule sidebar.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What's your favorite / the most interesting / coolest monster so far? (You can take that as one question or multiple.)

What's surprised you the most so far in reading it?

Beyond what's in the Basic DM rules and the monsters themselves, what kind of support for working with monsters is there, if any?

Thanks!

I'll go with your first question! I'm reading the vampire right now, and I love how traditional it feels. Plus the entry captures the atmosphere well. Then again, I quite enjoyed the death knight, too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads