• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing a grand villainous plot?

Fractalpony

First Post
For a new D&D campaign I'm planning, I would like to design a grand villainous plot. I don't really have any ideas yet, but have spent some time thinking about how to structure such a game.

These are some general guidelines I've come up:
1. The players should have some idea of what the plot is and who the main actors are.
2. Success or failure on a small scale should effect the plot but not bring it to a halt.
3. The "villain" should be very broad based.

What do you think? any advice, ideas or stories?

Gilladian

Adventurer
IMC one meta plot I've developed is a power hungry count who is allied with an evil temple. They're promoting a border war between two other counties and a couple of independent duchies. The overall ruler is distracted by efforts to clean up after a war and plague elsewhere in the kingdom. Nice generic plot with lots of options for involvement!

Celebrim

Legend
For a new D&D campaign I'm planning, I would like to design a grand villainous plot

Ok. On some level that's easy. On another level, the one where you are trying to be original and bring the awesome sauce, that's hard.

For me I always try to begin with some broad exploration of themes. What is really going to be at stake during your campaign? Figure out the question, and make your villain(s) a particularly nasty answer to it.

So, for example, in my current campaign the overall plot began as a meditation on the following question: "In a massively polytheistic setting with hundreds or even thousands of gods, each deities beliefs are another deities heresies. It's obvious such a society would still have the notion of blasphemy, but since each society will worship multiple gods, will there still be anything like the notion of heresy on a socio-cultural scale? Or put it another way, if you had clerics of multiple deities in the room who each agreed that the other's teachings were blasphemous, would there be anything that they could all agree was heretical?"

My villains in the current campaign are the answer to the question, "What does a heretic look like when no one can agree on what is the morally correct way to live?" And what's at stake - at least at as I see it, since my players aren't yet engaging it at this level - is really the question, "Given the setting, would I also be a heretic?"

So, that's where I'd start. Obvious questions might be:

a) Do the ends justify the means? This one is always good, particularly because players tend to always think in terms of their ends justifying their means. Present a horrific problem which has as its most solution something absolutely appalling. The level you go for here to be pitched to just how stomach churning of a problem you think your table can handle maturely. The villains here might actually turn out to believe they have very good ends. Alternatively, the mentor faction the players are working for turn out to know why the villains are doing what they do, and not only don't intend to stop it, they intend to coopt the villains solution - disagreeing over neither the end nor the means, but simply who can most safely, humanely and effectively carry it out.

b) Who has the right to rule? This idea exploits politics by having some sort of succession crisis following a civil war, assassination or the like, and then puts the PC's in the position to choose sides where each side has some sympathetic claim to the throne - clear legal right, popular support, benevolence, nationalism, etc. For example, one claimant might turn out to be the real clear legal heir, but also be a bit of dimwitted fool or otherwise clearly unfit as a leader. Another claimant may have considerable popular support, but be a ruthless usurper whose claim to the throne is based on deceit. Another claimant might be neither popular nor the rightful heir, but instead be clearly the most likely to be a good ruler if he were to ever come into power. Another claimant might want revenge against the usurper, justly citing how the native ethnic population has been repressed and even at times genocidal cleansed since the land was conquered some time in the past, and will restore the land to its former racial purity, ejecting the conquerors and allowing once more the people to be ruled by one of their own blood. And so forth. This campaign depends on playing with the players perceptions, with each clamant being put into a bad or good light in turn as you appeal to ideas that are ideally unified - legitimacy, rule of law, mandate of the people, merit, etc. - but here are horribly fractured.

c) Rough men stand ready - A version of the do the ends justify the means. The PC's belong to an utterly benevolent society upholding every virtue. The only problem is that they are utterly unable to defend themselves against some existential threat to their existence because they are unwilling to embrace a laundry list of things that they find morally reprehensible - such as murdering innocent victims of some parasitical plague, committing genocide against another ethnic or racial group, using demons as oracles, practicing necromancy, or any number of similar things. If you want to go for a potentially less challenging level, maybe the society is simply pacifists. The PC's must become criminals within their own society. The real knife edge being, can you fight evil with evil without becoming the very thing you are fighting? Obvious plot twists can be, the final solution involves something that the PC's no longer are capable of doing because their too tainted, and some morally pure person must be convinced to make the final sacrifice - despite the fact they no longer have any reason to trust the PCs.

d) Nature vs. Technology: On the one side you have arcanists and engineers building a prosperous largely rational society, but who are ruthlessly exploiting resources - cutting down forests, polluting streams with sewage and mine waste, burning coal to heat their cities, and so forth. On the other side you have a bunch of animists and nature spirits, who want to be left alone or live in simple ancient ways - even if it means a hard rough life with an occasional human sacrifice on the side to keep the crops growing. Choose a side, or try to come up with a compromise. The DM should cleverly hide some of the consequences of choosing a side and prepare for paradigm shifts along the way. I'd play this as, ultimately, the leaders of both sides are very charismatic villains, however I can support the players political preconceptions to hide that fact - leading my greens or capitalists easily astray so that their prejudices blind them to what is really going on. Fully backing one or the other leads to horrific disaster, possibly realized to late to prevent it if they don't have their eyes open. The real solution might involve defeating both sides and finding leaders within both factions that are less ruthless and more charitable. For a group less in to moral dilemma and crisis, you could pick a side and play it straight.

e) Freedom vs. Security: Probably a variation on 'who should rule', you present two possible social orders - perhaps warring nations. One nations citizens have significant freedom and attendant prosperity, but consequently misuse it frequently leading to common social ills. The current rulers are a less than savory group of oligarchs who've held on to power for generations. Another nations citizens are completely secure, but only at the price of being effectively slaves. The current ruler is a benevolent philosopher king. Which ever side the players start with, initially sympathize with, pull the rug out from under them by having the society undergo a change of administration - the benevolent philosopher king is replaced by his insane psychopathic son and the people go right on faithfully serving him, the people peacefully overthrow the oligarchs in favor of a benevolent group of reformers, or conversely the oligarchs or replaced by the most ignorant sort of mob rule and would be dictators. Again, you can really screw with a groups political biases here if you wanted to, which throws on some level of ends versus means via ideological purity vs. practical outcome.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
These are some general guidelines I've come up:
1. The players should have some idea of what the plot is and who the main actors are.
2. Success or failure on a small scale should effect the plot but not bring it to a halt.
3. The "villain" should be very broad based.

That sounds pretty good.

What do you think? any advice, ideas or stories?

My advice would be to start with the question: Who (or what) is my villain? Try to outline that both in broad terms and also in some key details.

Then, ask yourself: What do they want? This again has both broad and specific answers - it's likely that achieving the ultimate goal will require the completion of some interim steps in between, so best to figure some of these out now.

And then: How are they going to proceed? This one is an consequence of the previous two answers - mind flayers trying to extinguish the sun will have vastly different methods than drow attempting genocide on their surface kin.

Once you've answered those three, you're probably about ready to start populating adventures - you can drop in the clues to answer your point #1 above; you can see how the plot will have to adapt once the PCs start to upset things (#2), and you've already answered #3.

That's how I generally do it, anyway.

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
I'm in agreement with most of the above advice.

Also, the villain's plot should fit in (or even be an outgrowth of) the campaign setting. Consider the factions, artifacts, history, etc. of the campaign world and use them for inspiration. If you're doing a homebrew world, what about it might lead to a specific plot?

Generally, I think the key to a villainous plot is what the villain is threatening? It could be a nation, the world, one or more gods, peace and order, etc.

When designing archvillains you should put so thought into the entirety of the villain's organization. I like to reserve types of monsters that only they will employ throughout the campaign--signature troops if you will. Maybe the baddie uses skeletal warriors, lizard men, crimson orcs, or merely humans that have fallen under his charm. Emperor Palpatine has his stormtroopers, you got to do the same for your baddie. Depending on the level-spread of the campaign, you'll need higher-HD troops for the PCs to face off against.

And don't forget the named NPC/monster henchmen, servitors and agents of the baddie. These serve as proxies for the BBEG. You can sacrifice them to the PCs while keeping the BBEG and his master scheme alive.

Also, give your BBEG secrets for the PCs to uncover. Even if the PCs know who he is, maybe they need to find his true name or learn about his history to stand a chance against him. By tying the BBEG's weaknesses to him personally they gain a connection to him as the adventure, even if they aren't interacting with him directly.

Derren

Hero
Heavily depends on the group but, keep it believable. People should understand why the villain does what he does (easier when not doing "save the world" plots). But as I said, thats group dependant. Some people do not have anything against villains who want to blow up the world because they have an eyepatch and a goatee.

Also, keep the actions of the villain believable including the opposition he throws at the party. It gets tiresome and unbelievable if he only sends enemies at the PCs which are a medium challenge but always defeatable. Map out beforehand which forces and contacts he has and send the appropriate response depending on how much trouble the PCs are, not according what level they have. If they stir up a hornets nest throw hornets at them.

Also, know how politics and none combat actions can be used to hinder (and aid) the plot so that it does not always come down to the PCs have to smash some heads to do X.

Lastly, have a timetable which you constantly adjust depending on player input which does not involve none stop adventuring and dungeon crawling. Some things take time to develop.

delericho

Legend
Heavily depends on the group but, keep it believable. People should understand why the villain does what he does (easier when not doing "save the world" plots).

Yep, agreed. In fact, I agree with this even if the villain is insane - it's almost always better if the insanity works in a particular way, such that the villain's actions make sense once viewed through his "cracked lens". The other advantage of this is that it opens the door for clever players finding ways to use the villain's particular insanity against him, which is always satisfying (for you and for them).

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Remember that just like the heroes the villain was once Level 1. He had his own trials and tribulations to go through and built his scheme slowly. Plan out in detail the steps it took for the villain to get where he is, both in terms of strategic position and in terms of his philosophy and goals. How did he turn to the dark side to begin with? The same issues may still motivate him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads