• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DMG, PHB, and MM still in the Amazon top 100 sellers

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
For my local game store I think it was: PHB sold out in 1 hour, MM sold out in 1 day...so they ordered a lot of DMGs.

Gecko85

Explorer
According to NovelRank, which purportedly tracks both sales rank and actual sales volume on Amazon, the PHB has been as high as #1 overall in books, with an average of #127.

http://www.novelrank.com/asin/0786965606

Here are the sales numbers (not ranks) by month since release:

Aug: 5,402
Sep: 5,105
Oct: 4,986
Nov: 3,066
Dec: 3,502
Jan: 4,784
Feb: 1,430*

* Feb sales as of right now (Feb 10) are underreported. Actual sales will be higher.

So, the PHB on Amazon alone has sold 28,275 copies to date. Add in all other electronic retailers (b&n.com, walmart.com, etc.), brick and mortar bookstores and game shops, and it appears it's doing A-OK.

DaveDash

Explorer
According to NovelRank, which purportedly tracks both sales rank and actual sales volume on Amazon, the PHB has been as high as #1 overall in books, with an average of #127.

http://www.novelrank.com/asin/0786965606

Here are the sales numbers (not ranks) by month since release:

Aug: 5,402
Sep: 5,105
Oct: 4,986
Nov: 3,066
Dec: 3,502
Jan: 4,784
Feb: 1,430*

* Feb sales as of right now (Feb 10) are underreported. Actual sales will be higher.

So, the PHB on Amazon alone has sold 28,275 copies to date. Add in all other electronic retailers (b&n.com, walmart.com, etc.), brick and mortar bookstores and game shops, and it appears it's doing A-OK.

I just read their FAQ, because I was curious as to how they derived those numbers.

About the only thing that tool can do is track sales rank. The rest is fluff that it assumes based on a possible sale. And to be honest, those numbers seem VERY low.

I just read their FAQ, because I was curious as to how they derived those numbers.

About the only thing that tool can do is track sales rank. The rest is fluff that it assumes based on a possible sale. And to be honest, those numbers seem VERY low.
Low compared to other books or low compared to your expectations?
That's 28,275 units so far. Assuming similar numbers in box stores and hobby stores that puts sales at 84,825. If they sell 75% that number in the first six months that'll be sales of 148,443 in the first year of the edition. If the following year is 75% of that, it puts total sales at 259,776. Not too shabby. Comparable to half a decade of Pathfinder core rulebooks.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'M glad it's been this successful - my hope is that the trend continues and it gives them a chance to diversify a bit in terms of product.

I read that the PHB for 3rd Edition sold 100,000 copies in the first month, and that 5e more than likely exceeded that.
100,000 sounds rather high, especially since the 3.0 PHB supposedly only every sold 500,000 copies.

I can imagine the first print run was 100,000 and WotC sold 100,000 to the distributor. And that those "sold" copies were then slowly bought by players over the first few months.
I do agree the initial months are likely low. The stats likely show how much the second most popular was, so they know how many books D&D had to sell to pass that. But that's just the minimum number. And it wouldn't show how many more people bought from game stores to get the product a couple weeks early. But I doubt it's over 100,000 copies.

DaveDash

Explorer
100,000 sounds rather high, especially since the 3.0 PHB supposedly only every sold 500,000 copies.

I can imagine the first print run was 100,000 and WotC sold 100,000 to the distributor. And that those "sold" copies were then slowly bought by players over the first few months.
I do agree the initial months are likely low. The stats likely show how much the second most popular was, so they know how many books D&D had to sell to pass that. But that's just the minimum number. And it wouldn't show how many more people bought from game stores to get the product a couple weeks early. But I doubt it's over 100,000 copies.

I'm probably getting "month" confused with "year". But in any case I wanted to point out that:

1. The site itself says its figures are generally on the low side and...
2. The site itself basically say it's just guessing sales figures based on rank and when it guestimates a sale was made. It's not accurate to any degree.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
None the less, it's selling well for sure! Glad to hear it's still going strong after 5 or 6 months of release.
the upcoming elemental book is already 13th best seller in gaming....nice, I preordered mine already.

1. The site itself says its figures are generally on the low side and...
2. The site itself basically say it's just guessing sales figures based on rank and when it guestimates a sale was made. It's not accurate to any degree.
I can imagine how it would roughly work.
The know the sale numbers of A. And they know B sold more than A, C sold more than B, and D sold more than C. So if A sold 3000 copies then D must have sold at leas 3004. Repeat for a few hundred books...

Remove ads