• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Taking a stab at the nonmagical bard

CM

Adventurer
This is an idea that I've been mulling for a while, and a couple of quick searches here didn't turn up any matches. I really like the 5e bard, but I also wish there was a nonmagical option. To that end, I've put together this rough draft. It combines most aspects of the college of lore and college of valor bards, with the exclusion of all spellcasting ability. It also adds in a few new toys as well.

Exemplar
(Non-magical bard variant, temporary name)

Class Features
As a bard, you gain the following class features.
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per bard level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per bard level after 1st.​
Proficiencies
Armor: Light and medium armor and shields
Weapons: Simple and martial weapons
Tools: Three musical instruments of your choice
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Choose any three​

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
  • (a) a rapier, (b) a longsword and heavy shield, or (c) a shortbow and quiver of arrows
  • (a) a diplomat’s pack or (b) an entertainer’s pack
  • (a) a lute or (b) any other portable musical instrument
  • (a) a chain shirt (b) scale mail or (c) studded leather
  • Two daggers
Level / Prof. / Features
1st +2 Bardic Inspiration (d6), Stirring Words
2nd +2 Jack of All Trades, Song of Rest (d6)
3rd +2 Bonus Proficiency, Expertise (2 skills)
4th +2 ASI, Cutting Words
5th +3 Bardic Inspiration (d8), Font of Inspiration
6th +3 ASI, Countercharm, Join the Chorus
7th +3 Extra Attack, Stirring Words (2 dice)
8th +3 ASI
9th +4 Bonus Proficiency (2nd), Song of Rest (d8)
10th +4 Bardic Inspiration (d10), Expertise (2 skills)
11th +4 ASI
12th +4 Bonus Proficiency (3rd)
13th +5 Song of Rest (d10), Peerless Skill
14th +5 ASI
15th +5 Bardic Inspiration (d12), Extra Attack (2)
16th +5 ASI
17th +6 Song of Rest (d12), Stirring Words (3 dice)
18th +6 Bonus Proficiency (4th), Mass Inspiration
19th +6 ASI
20th +6 Expertise (2 skills), Superior Inspiration

Existing Class Features:
Named class features are identical to the PHB versions (although level acquired may vary slightly) except for the following:
Ability Score Improvement: Receives a total of seven, as opposed to the standard bard's five.
Bardic Inspiration: Includes the college of valor's Combat Inspiration (able to use Bardic Inspiration die with reaction to add to your AC against one attack, or add to a weapon damage roll) baseline at level 1.
Bonus Proficiencies: Receives a total of four, which can be skills, tools, or languages, vs. the college of lore's three skills at 3rd level.
Expertise: Receives a total of six, instead of four.
Extra Attack: Earns extra attacks at 7th and 15th.

New Class Features:
Stirring Words: You can deliver an inspiring message to your allies, bolstering their will to press on. As a bonus action, spend one use of your Bardic Inspiration. You and each ally within 60 feet who can hear you receives temporary hit points equal to a roll from your Bardic Inspiration die. When you reach 7th level, each time you use Stirring Words those affected roll two dice and receive that many temporary hit points. When you reach 17th level, the benefit increases to three dice.
Join the Chorus: Beginning at 6th level, your allies who have one of your d8 or larger Bardic Inspiration dice can use a bonus action to lower their Bardic Inspiration die size by one and grant a Bardic Inspiration die of the same (reduced) size to you or to another ally within 60 feet of them who can hear them.
Mass Inspiration: When you reach 18th level, any time you use Bardic Inspiration to grant a Bardic Inspiration die, you can grant a number of dice equal to your Charisma bonus at no additional cost. Each ally can still have no more than one die at a time (of any size).

Stirring Words helps out the exemplar in the buffer/healer role, after the loss of curing spell slots. I'm wondering if there needs to be a more powerful single-target version added at around 4th or 5th level.

Join the Chorus seemed like a fun way to increase intra-party teamwork cooperation & participation, without being too exploitative.

Mass Inspiration is pretty powerful, but at that level it's competing with the regular bard's 9th level spell slot. I'm wondering if it should be earned earlier, say level 10, but start at two targets, and rise to 3, 4, and 5 targets over the next ten levels.

Last edited:

The class option seems like a good idea, but the complete lack of spells at all seems like a bad trade. Bards may not have all that many amazing spells, but they sure beat out Inspiration. Especially the Bless Spell. It's Bardic Inspiration with a duration, rather than instantaneous.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I think this might work better on a Fighter chassis, but with bardic features attached. That way the lack of spells is better balanced out?

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
I would suggest allowing the player to take a Fighting Style on the same schedule as Expertise. Gives a lot of Fighterish utility and would help offset the loss of magic. Without something like that, this option seems pretty unattractive: too much taken away and not enough put in its place.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The idea I'm playing with, but not yet writing out as it is in playtest with a single player, is that Inspiration Dice can also be used for a single Maneuver (limited list) or as a Sneak Attack. I do increase the amount of ID.

And since I only reduce not eliminate spellcasting I use the feat "Magic Initiate" on the levels when Magic Secrets show up.

My goal is to be more of the jack of all trades of the older bards rather than nearly pure caster.

Remove ads