• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Re-Imagining of "Goblin Arrows"

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Originally posted by iserith:

I am reworking The Lost Mine of Phandelver from the Starter Set by giving it a Wild West / Spaghetti Western / Zorro-esque spin to it and calling it...

splash_0.jpg

Starring

Chuck Dagger, human rogue
Marshal Heeling, human cleric
Vanciana Feyzalez, elf wizard

With

Mucho Cerveza, dwarf fighter

Act I, Scene 1: Las Flechas Del Duende

Featuring the Duende: Goblins, as per Starter Set. Their motivation is to steal the crowbars, miner's picks, and shovels, kill the oxen, and burn the wagon, then escape up the Duende Trail. (Goblins have 23 lbs. of gear including a tinderbox each, so they can carry another 97 lbs.) If the duende can make it off the map through the spot marked "Duende Trail," they are considered to have escaped with whatever goods they were carrying so the PCs will have to deal with them in a future scene. The duende will only spend actions attacking if they have no other options such as if the PCs are completely blocking their ability to steal from the wagon. In all other cases, they pursue their motivation unto death.

Don't forget their bonus action to Disengage and Hide - this will likely provide quite useful in pilfering from the PCs. They can also force the oxen to move into a better position by attacking them. The dry brush will be a great advantage to the duende as well. And, of course, if they are attacking with shortbows, they don't benefit from their shield's AC bonus!

Setting is hot and dry badlands on a dangerous trail to the frontier town of Fandango. The oxen and wagon treat anything off the trail as difficult terrain and cannot move over the dead horses. Dry brush - quite flammable, actually - offers half cover for any Medium-sized or smaller creature standing in it (2 x 2 squares). For other details, see the Starter Set.

wagonload.jpg

* Late edition: If either Auroch or Bullock are killed, the remaining ox will not pull the wagon.

Even if you don't re-theme the adventure as I have, consider using this way of approaching the encounter. I think it will make for a much more dynamic scene than a straight-up ranged/melee battle, possibly providing greater impetus for the PCs to follow the goblin trail to recover stolen wares. At the end of the scene, calculate how much value was stolen or destroyed and see how far in arrears this puts the characters - that's just more motivation to get to earnin'!

How would you handle this scene if you were a PC? How about as DM? What constructive feedback do you have to improve this scene?

Good luck and have fun, pardners!

Attachments

• fechas.jpg
    fechas.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 15,841
Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

chuckdagger.jpg 

humanmale.png
(VTT Token)

CHUCK DAGGER
1st-level Human Rogue 
Medium Male Humanoid

Armor Class 15 (studded leather armor)
Hit Points 9 (1d8)
Speed 30 ft.
Sense Normal    
Str 11 (+0)  Dex 16 (+3)  Con 13 (+1)
Int 15 (+2)  Wis 09 (-1)  Cha 14 (+2)
Alignment neutral
Languages common, halfling, thieves' cant

TRAITS
Background - Criminal
     Feature: Criminal Contact
     Criminal Specialty: Burglar
Proficiency (+2)
     Tools: Thieves' Tool, Playing Cards, Disguise Kit
     Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Sneak Attack (+1d6)

SKILLS
Acrobatics +7 (expertise), Athletics +2, Deception +4, Investigation +4, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth +7 (expertise).

ACTIONS
Melee Attacks— Dagger: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature). 
Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage
Ranged Attack—Dagger: +5 to hit (range 20/60 ft; one creature). 
Hit:  1d4+3 piercing damage 

EQUIPMENT
studded leather armor, ten daggers, thieves' tools, burglar's pack, a crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, Poncho Cloak's rabbit's foot (trinket), and a belt pouch containing 15 gp.

PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Trait: "I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds."
Ideal: People. "I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care." (Neutral)
Bond: "Something important was taken from me, and I aim to steal it back."
Flaw: "An innocent person is in prison for a crime that I committed. I'm okay with that."

BACK STORY
Chuck Dagger once had a partner, another rogue by the name of Poncho Cloak. Together, they were known as Poncho & Dagger. Poncho hasn't been seen around in a long time since a falling out between he and Chuck. Some say that Chuck set him up for a big fall because Poncho was always getting top billing when it came to notoriety on heists. Others say that Poncho tried to get in between him and his love, Vanciana Feyzalez. Chuck denies it all, but still has lingering feelings for Vanciana even though he had to leave her for her own protection.

Chuck is currently being sought by Marshal Heeling for a crime he most certainly did commit, but knows he might need the marshal's help for dealing with a bigger, more dangerous criminal soon to make big moves in the West.

Last edited by a moderator:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

cowboy2_0.jpg

Marshal Heeling

1st-level Human Cleric 
Medium Male Humanoid
Armor Class
 15 (chain shirt)
Hit Points 10 (1d8)
Speed 30 ft.
Senses Normal
Str 11 (+0)  Dex 15 (+2)  Con 14 (+2)
Int 9 (-1)  Wis 16 (+3)  Cha 13 (+1)
Alignment lawful neutral
Languages common, orcish

TRAITS
Background - Soldier
    Feature: Military Rank
    Specialty: Healer
Proficiency (+2)
   Tools: Playing Cards, Vehicles (Land).
   Saving Throws: Charisma, Wisdom
Disciple of Life

SKILLS 
Athletics +2, Insight +5, Intimidation +3, Medicine +5.

ACTIONS
Melee Attacks— Mace:
 +2 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature). 
Hit: 1d6 bludgeoning damage
Ranged Attack—Light Crossbow: +4 to hit (range 80/320 ft; one creature). 
Hit:  1d8+2 piercing damage 

SPELLS
Cantrips Known: Guidance, Sacred Flame, Thaumaturgy
Spells Prepared: Command, Detect Magic, Healing Word, Shield of Faith
Domain Spells: Bless, Cure Wounds
Spell Slots: 1st Level 2/2

EQUIPMENT
chain shirt, mace, light crossbow and 20 bolts, explorer's pack, a marshal's badge (acts as a holy symbol), three daggers belonging to the infamous burglar Chuck Dagger, a deck of cards, a set of common clothes, a 1-ounce block made from an unknown material (trinket), and a belt pouch containing 10 gp.

PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Traits: I'm haunted by memories of war. I can't get the images of violence out of my mind.
Ideal: I do what I must and obey just authority. (Lawful)
Bond: My honor is my life.
Flaw: I'd rather eat my armor than admit when I'm wrong.

BACK STORY
Having seen enough horrors in the war against the orcs of the Host of the One Eye, Daley Heeling left the army to become a lawman, offering his services as a marshal in boom towns that sprung up in the West after a massive strike of blocks of unknown material was uncovered. It was here that he met Vanciana Feyzalez, who he saved from evil forces that claimed her family - and who he secretly loves. He is currently tracking down his nemesis, the infamous burglar Chuck Dagger, and this chase had led him on many an adventure. Might they team up against a common enemy in an unlikely but effective duo?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

vanciana.jpg

Vanciana Feyzalez
1st-Level High Elf Wizard
Medium Female Humanoid
Amor Class 11
Hit Points 6 (1d6)
Speed 30 ft.
Senses Darkvision 60 ft.
Str 8 (-1) Dex 13 (+1) Con 10 (+0)
Int 16 (+3) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 12 (+1)
Alignment chaotic good
Languages Common, Draconic, Dwarvish, Elvish, Halfling.

TRAITS
Fey Ancestry
Trance
Background - Acolyte
  Feature: Shelter of the Faithful
Proficiency (+2)
  Tools: -
  Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom

SKILLS
Arcana +5, History +5, Insight +4, Perception +4, Religion +5.

ACTIONS
Melee Attack -- Dagger: +3 to hit (reach 5; one creature)
Hit: 1d4+1 piercing damage

Ranged Cantrip -- Fire Bolt: +5 to hit (120 feet;  one creature)
Hit: 1d10 fire damage, or unattended object is set on fire

SPELLS KNOWN
Cantrips Known: Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation.
1st Level Spells: Burning Hands, Charm Person, Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armor, Sleep.

SPELLS PREPARED (Spell Save DC 13)
1st Level Spells: Burning Hands, Detect Magic, Mage Armor, Sleep.

SPELL SLOTS
1st Level: 2

EQUIPMENT
Dagger, scholar's pack, spellbook, a crystal holy symbol that serves as an arcane focus, a prayer wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes, a crystal doorknob (trinket), and a belt pouch containing 15 gp.

PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Traits: "I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen."
Ideal: Change. "We must help bring about the changes the gods are constantly working in the world." (Chaotic)
Bond: "I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died."
Flaw: "My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust those that profess faith in my god (Coyolxauhqui, Elven Goddess of Fire and Magic)."

BACKSTORY
The scion of noble parents killed by a far-reaching conspiracy in the West, Vanciana Feyzalez was saved from certain death by the lawman Marshal Heeling when her house fell. She discovered the ancient elven deities of this land which predated the gods of her house and found her faith in Coyolxauhqui, Goddess of Fire and Magic. She took her vows and became a prioress, establishing convents and places of worship. She broke her vows when she became involved with the infamous Chuck Dagger, who both won and broke her heart. Now she travels with Marshal Heeling to repay what she considers a debt to him and hopes to uncover who saw to the death of her parents. Vanciana has recurring dreams of losing her spellbook and of being killed by a bugbear which haunt her.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

muchocerveza.jpg
Mucho Cerveza, El Luchador Barbuuuudo!
1st-level Hill Dwarf Fighter
Medium Male Humanoid
Armor Class
16 (chain mail)
Hit Points 14 (1d10)
Speed 25 ft. (not reduced by wearing heavy armor)
Sense Darkvision 60ft.
Str 15 (+2) Dex 12 (+1) Con 16 (+3)
Int 8 (-1) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 10 (+0)
Alignment neutral good
Languages common, dwarvish

TRAITS
Background - Folk Hero
Feature: Rustic Hospitality
Defining Event: "I stood alone against a terrible monster."
Specialty: Infantry
Proficiency (+2)
Tools: Brewer's Supplies, Cook's Utensils, Vehicles (Land).
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Fighting Style - Two-Weapon Fighting
Second Wind
Dwarven Resilience
Dwarven Combat Training
Stonecunning

SKILLS
Animal Handling +4, Athletics +4, Perception +4, Survival +4.

ACTIONS
Melee or Ranged Attacks— Handaxes:
+4 to hit (reach 5 ft. or range 20 ft./60 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 1d6+2 slashing damage (+4 to hit with secondary melee attack, 1d6+2 slashing damage).

EQUIPMENT
chainmail, four handaxes, dungeoneer's pack, cook's utensils, a shovel, an iron pot, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp.

PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Trait:
“I'm confident in my own abilities and do what I can do instill confidence in others."
Ideal: Sincerity. "There's no good in pretending to be something I'm not." (Neutral)
Bond: "I protect those who cannot protect themselves."
Flaw: "I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink."

Back Story
When the impoverished desert pueblo of Tierra Mierda lost all of its chickens to a mysterious and frightening predator, Paco donned his signature plaid luchador's mask for the first time. He stood alone against the horrible El Chupapollo, a ravenous beast, all tooth and claw. After an epic, drawn-out battle that drew a throng of hundreds to watch, Paco twisted its head clean off and then danced around with its still-thrashing body - a move he still does to this day when he lands the killing blow.

In his later years and now calling himself Mucho Cerveza, he brings his fame and skills to bear to help those who need it including Chuck Dagger, who he saved from a corrupt sheriff's noose. Mucho has also previously teamed up with Marshal Heeling to take down a gang of bandits that had taken over a one-horse town. He worships the same ancient pantheon of gods as Vanciana Feyzalez and finds great comfort in confiding in her.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

I am reworking The Lost Mine of Phandelver from the Starter Set by giving it a Wild West / Spaghetti Western / Zorro-esque spin to it and calling it...

splash_0.jpg

Starring

With

Act I, Scene 2 (?): El Camino Del Duende

snaretrap.jpg

Marshal Heeling: "This is another fine mess you've gotten us into, Chuck..."
Mucho Cerveza: "Haha, Chuck's embarrassed - his face is all red!"
Vanciana Feyzalez: "That is because he's upside down."

While I can appreciate the simple way of introducing new DMs and players to marching order and traps, I felt the scenes seemed a little flat, so I am re-imagining them a bit.

Setting is a dry river bed that the Duende (goblins) use as the trail to their lair. This scene is in two parts, about a mile apart from each other where two traps can be found. It is likely that the PCs are either chasing the Duende or, having lost or killed them in a previous scene, following their obvious tracks. A wolf, Lobo, (see Starter Set for stats) is off the map above, 80 feet distant from the snare. Additional information available in the Starter Set.

Scene Framing (Chase)
The escaping Duende are not far ahead but keeping ahead of you so far - this is their land and they know it well enough to keep up a lead. As you approach two bent trees growing out of broken rubble that flank the path, the Duende suddenly make a sharp correction to their course, running around a large pile of leaves before pouring on the speed once more. About 80 feet from the trees, a wolf stands atop a jutting rock, surveying the scene warily. What do you do?

Scene Framing (Tracking)
The Duende trail leads down the dry river bed, many tracks crossing back and forth over each other. They must use this route frequently. As you approach two bent trees growing out of broken rubble that flank the path, the tracks are either covered by or go around a pile of leaves between the leafless trees. About 80 feet away, a wolf stands atop a jutting rock, watching you warily from a distance. What do you do?

Follow the instructions in the Starter Set for dealing with the hidden snare after framing the scene. Notice how we're telegraphing the trap which affords the characters a chance to explore and make meaningful decisions rather than just ask for checks and hit them with consequences.

If the character trips the snare, this startles Lobo, who dashes in and attacks. Lobo once belonged to the Duende but was always something of a loner and didn't take to their cruel form of domestication. Lobo will flee if reduced to low hit points, trailing the PCs and howling piteously if left alive. If the PCs approach the Duende lair with Lobo's howling behind them, the guards in Area 2 go on alert. PCs that remain behind to deal with the snare and Lobo will lose any Duende they are chasing, but they assume the PCs were dispatched or gave up and so don't report it.

pittrap.jpg

Mucho Cerveza: "Did those Duende get away?!"
Chuck Dagger: "This is a rather thorny predicament. Get it? Thor-"
Vanciana Feyzalez: "Yeah, we got it. It wasn't funny the first two times."

Setting is in the same dry river bed as above, but a mile further down the trail from the snare. Here a number of thorny, water-bearing agave plants of a rare variety grow. (A skilled brewer might be able to make it into a mean and valuable tequila.) It is likely that the PCs are either chasing the Duende or, having lost or killed them in a previous scene, following their obvious tracks. Additional information available in the Starter Set.

Scene Framing (Chase)
The Duende are still ahead, doing their best to throw you off their trail. Now they've run straight into a large patch of thorny cacti topped with bright red flowers that grow in the dry river bed. Though there is a fairly clear path through these cacti, they've opted to go through the thick of them, suffering the pricks and jabs of hundreds of thorns. They're doing the best they can to avoid the worst of it while maintaining a moderate pace. By taking the clear path, you might be able to catch them. What do you do?

Scene Framing (Tracking)
The Duende trail continues through the dry river bed. Now you're entering an area were a large patch of thorny cacti grow, each topped by a bright red flower. They are fairly dense in this area, threatening to prick and scrape anyone moving through, except for a single path that winds through them. There are few if any Duende tracks on this path. What do you do?

The choices here are fairly simple but come with tradeoffs. If the PCs take the path, they can catch the Duende (if they're currently chasing them), but they might fall into the pit trap. (See Starter Set for details.) If they don't take the path, they have to deal with the risk of many thorns. Avoiding the worst of the thorns depends on pace - DC 10 for a slow or moderate pace, DC 15 for a fast pace. Only a fast pace will allow them to catch up to the Duende, however, if they're in pursuit since the Duende slow to moderate. Failing to avoid the thorns results in 1d4 piercing damage. If the PCs are unable to catch the Duende in this area, they make it to the lair and warn the guards in Area 2.

So there you go. Well-telegraphed scenes involving traps with a few extra meaningful choices thrown in for good measure.

Good luck and have fun with it, pardners!

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

I am reworking The Lost Mine of Phandelver from the Starter Set by giving it a Wild West / Spaghetti Western / Zorro-esque spin to it and calling it...

splash_0.jpg

Starring

With

Previously on The Last Dance of Fandango:
Act 1, Scene 1: Las Flechas Del Duende
Act 1, Scene 2 (?): El Camino Del Duende

And now...

Act I, Scene 3 (?): La Colina de Las Termitas

overviewmaps.jpg

So rather than go with the Cragmaw Hideout setup in Lost Mine of Phandelver, I've created a series of set-piece encounters linked together with an abstract series of routes. There is also a "threat meter" which guides the DM on how the duende (the goblins) respond in different ways to the players' choices in addition to a couple of random encounter charts. This makes the place a little more flexible, creates more meaningful choices for the players, increases the tension, and makes this lair more dynamic. It also increases its replayability if you're into that sort of thing.

Rather than set it in a cave that is a mouth of a stream, I'm sticking with my drier Western theme and setting the duende lair in a giant termite mound. Imagine if termites were the side of dogs and built an above-ground nest like they do in Africa or South America - it's a large hill dotted with small tunnels. The duende have smoked the place out repeatedly and driven off the termites and made it their home, taking over the main chambers and widening some tunnels for their own use.

Set-Piece Encounters
With the exception of the map layout, these are basically Area 2, Area 3, Area 6, and Area 8 from the Lost Mine of Phandelver. I have kept the number of threats the same as in that adventure. Anything that is not mentioned as being changed here is the same as in that adventure. Each set-piece encounter connects to two other set pieces via the Duende Tunnels. The Termite Tunnels connect to all the set-piece encounters.

The Two Routes
When anyone in the lair is travelling from one set-piece area to another, they use either the Duende Tunnels or the Termite Tunnels. The Duende Tunnels are used as the main routes through the lair by the duende. They are typically shorter routes, but more travelled, so there's a higher chance of random encounters. The Termite Tunnels are leftovers from when the termites populated the mound. They are typically longer routes, but less travelled, so there's a lower chance of random encounters. Either route is non-linear - twisting, turning, rising, falling, splitting, intersecting, looping back, ending in side chambers and dead-ends - and also left abstract for the DM to describe. The only thing that needs tracking is how much time is spent on travelling, in set-pieces, or in random encounters. This is so the DM knows when to roll for random encounters and when to adjust the threat meter.

The Threat Meter

Show
[sblock]threatmeter.jpg

[/sblock] 
The threat meter measures the duende response to the PCs invading their home in a fair way that the players can manage. It should be on the table visible to the players, even if their characters aren't necessarily aware of the monsters' actions "off-camera." Sneaky groups might opt to explore and spy on the duende without ever registering on the threat meter. Other groups might commit to battle right away and have to figure out how to deal with a potential committed response by the duende.

The adventurers register on the threat meter if and when they are spotted by or fight the duende, or when the PCs leave obvious evidence of their presence in some way. The threat meter ticks up every 5 minutes thereafter. Duende that escape after encountering the PCs add one step to the threat meter. (Duende that are reduced to 3 hit points or less, but that are not killed, try to escape if they can.) When the threat meter is in the yellow, the duende are alert and get advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks. When the threat meter is in the red, the duende are rallied and cannot be surprised. When the threat meter maxes out, all remaining duende and wolves (plus Sildar if he's still their captive) regroup at the outside entrance and light up the smokewood in the pit. Ten minutes later, smoke fills the mound and any creature remaining may suffocate (see page 65, Basic Rules). The mound remains this way for 4 hours before being clear enough to inhabit the place again.

Time & Random Encounters
The DM should keep track of how much time passes so as to check for random encounters and adjust the threat meter when appropriate. A good rule of thumb to keep things simple is to figure each set-piece encounter is 5 minutes, including any combat, exploration, and social interaction that happens therein. Random encounters will note additional time in the random encounter tables (q.v.). The DM should check for random encounters every 10 minutes.

Travel time in the Duende Tunnels from one keyed location to the next is 10 minutes at normal pace, 5 minutes at fast pace, and 15 minutes at slow pace. Travel time in the Termite Tunnels from one keyed location to the next is 15 minutes at normal pace, 10 minutes at fast pace, and 20 minutes at slow pace. Pace is covered on page 64 of the Basic Rules. Because of the non-linear, winding, twisting nature of the difficult terrain of these routes, the DM can ignore the distance covered in a minute. Other rules regarding activites while travelling and the like should be noted.

Random Encounter Tables

Show
[sblock]Duende Tunnels
Chance of Encounters: 16-20 on d20. Check every 10 minutes. If the PCs are in a set-piece location when it is time to check for a random encounter, use the Duende Tunnels chances and table.
Impressions: Irregular width with many intersections and dead ends; constant breeze; twisting, turning; smells of smoke and burned wood; ash on the walls; small, mostly empty side chambers; dark in most places.

duendetunnelchart.jpg

Termite Tunnels
Chance of Encounters: 20 on 1d20. Check every 10 minutes.
Impressions: Winding and cramped; crawling, climbing, squeezing, sliding; dead giant termite carcasses; fungus growing in places; small chambers dotted with tunnels.

termitetunnelchart.jpg

* Modify for pace: +0 for slow, +5 for normal, +10 for fast or sitting still.

** Any result that doesn't make sense in context (such as if a creature has already been encountered or killed) counts as no encounter.

[/sblock] 
Please note that this design is a bit different than what is presented in the Starter Set and may not be entirely suitable for new DMs. If you're a new DM and your head is spinning after checking out this post, don't worry about it - just use the one in the Starter Set and you'll do fine! Constructive feeback and questions are welcome.

Special thanks to posters Jerico_Mason and bawylie for providing useful feedback during my design process.

Good luck and have fun with it, pardners!

termitemound.jpg

(Map created using tools in Roll20.)

There are two entrances to the Duende Tunnels here and many entrances to the Termite Tunnels (both on this map and on other sides of the mound that are unguarded). There are generally 2 or 3 duende on guard here at all times, but they are distracted, often passing a leaf pipe between them. This is more or less like Area 2 of Phandelver. It is also the staging area for the goblins should the threat meter be maxed out.

Cast: Bulging Goiter, Draining Mucus, Yellow Blister, duende (goblins). (See Starter Set for statistics.) 

Terrain Features: The dry brush provides half cover and is quite flammable. The pit is 10-feet-deep and is half-filled with dry smokewood that is also quite flammable. Because of how the termites build their mounds, there is a constant breeze blowing through all of the tunnels, so when this fire pit is lit, smoke blows right into the mound and circulates throughout. (See Threat Meter above).

kennelmap_0.jpg

(Map taken from this blog with additions made using tools in Roll20.)

Goblins that are fresh out of the goblin growth chamber (see random encounters tables) are assigned to care for the wolves. One wolf, Lobo, has run off recently and the goblins have set and pit trap to try and catch him. It is otherwise the same as Area 3 from Phandelver.

Cast: Befouling Gash, Runny Boo Boo, Spoiling Lesion, duende (goblins); Cachorro and Perro, wolves. (See Starter Set for statistics.)

Terrain Features: The rickety bridge can only support the weight of a Small-sized (or smaller) creature. Larger creatures must take care where they step (DC 10) or the bridge breaks, depositing anyone on it into a trench 10 feet below (1d6 falling damage). Squares containing rubble are difficult terrain as are squares containing elevation changes. The termite tunnels can be accessed in the northern portion of the room by way of the termite hole.

goblindenmap_0.jpg

(Map taken from this blog with additions made using tools in Roll20.)

This is the duende common room where most of them gather for meals and sleep. It is largely the same as Area 6 from Phandelver. 

Cast: Bloody Tumor (leader with 12 hp), Bleeding Ulcer, Erupting Blackhead, Leaking Sore, Stinking Carbuncle, Swelling Pustule, duende (goblins); Sildar "Snowball" Hellwinter, a tiefling in this version rather than the human, Sildar Hallwinter of the Lord's Alliance. The Lord's Alliance has been changed to Hell's Cargo, an all-tiefling outfit specializing in banking, staging, and freight. Sildar is looking for Hex Arcana, a fellow tiefling, rather than Iarno Albrek now. (See Starter Set for statistics.)

Terrain Features: There is a crudely-built wall of dried mud in this common area and it can easily be knocked down. Each 5-foot section has only 10 hit points. Squares containing rubble are difficult terrain as are squares containing elevation changes. The termite tunnels can be accessed in the eastern portion of the room by way of the termite hole.

bugaboolair_0.jpg

(Map taken from this blog with additions made using tools in Roll20.)

This is where Bugaboo, the leader of this hideout lairs. The purloined provisions come from a company called "Lion Trading" in this re-imagining and Bugaboo's chest is not among them and is instead on a natural shelf on the northwest part of the lair. Bugaboo's dope bear rug might be worth something if it didn't stink of goblin. It is otherwise the same as Area 8 from Phandelver.

Cast: Bugaboo, duende (bugbear); Distended Vein, Throbbing Cyst, duende (goblins); Cano, wolf. (See Starter Set for statistics.) Bugaboo recently fought and defeated a thri-kreen druid hermit named Thorax Pete (see random encounter tables). He wears several plates of chitin that fell from the thri-kreen during the battle.

Terrain Features: There is a 10-feet-deep pool of cold water in the northeastern portion of the chamber that connects to a pool well outside the lair to the north. It's a possible escape route if the adventurers can manage to hold their breaths long enough. Squares containing rubble are difficult terrain as are squares containing elevation changes. The termite tunnels can be accessed in the eastern portion of the room by way of the termite hole.

Originally posted by Akeisha:

Kudos iserith for all the hardwork on yet another awesome 'episode'! :D

Also, all the Goblin's names are priceless ha ha... :)

Originally posted by bawylie:

This kinda stuff continues to be the gold-standard in Reflavoring. And there's some extra stuff I want to call out:
1.) threat meter. Good mechanic, whether or not the players are aware of it. It tracks the adventure and changes the nature of interactions across the board. If the players CAN see it, there's added urgency. If they cannot see it, it's on the DM to add the urgency via descriptions (patrols, closer calls, etc). 
2.) The smoke pit. Working in concert with the threat meter - the smoke pit is a likely game-over. But it doesn't have to be. It can be a player tool if they plan it right. 
3.) Random encounter tables, specifically, the side areas. There are random Exploration encounters that amount to world building and story telling. Good examples of RE Tables done right. 

So Iserith this is great work (again). I've been a fan of these reworkings. Also, whether or not you like this style of doing things, Iserith's remixed adventures showcase the versatility of this system. Maybe I'd do some things differently. (Probably I would). It's very good to see that the system accommodates these changes. In fact, it welcomes them. 

As a standalone piece, this is good. As a broader test-drive of the DM side of things, this is good. I'm very pleased. 

Akeisha wrote:Kudos iserith for all the hardwork on yet another awesome 'episode'! :D

Also, all the Goblin's names are priceless ha ha... :)

Thanks - I like my goblins mean and disgusting. Nothing worse than a cutesy goblin in my view!

I also think it's really important for the DM to name everything, even if it's with just an adjective for player reference. I don't like "I attack Goblin 1." But attacking "the goblin with the disgusting throbbing cyst on its face" - that's evocative! (And gross.)

bawylie wrote:This kinda stuff continues to be the gold-standard in Reflavoring. And there's some extra stuff I want to call out:

Thanks! I do love me some reflavoring and this adventure module does lend itself very easily to re-imagining as a Western-themed D&D scenario.

bawylie wrote:1.) threat meter. Good mechanic, whether or not the players are aware of it. It tracks the adventure and changes the nature of interactions across the board. If the players CAN see it, there's added urgency. If they cannot see it, it's on the DM to add the urgency via descriptions (patrols, closer calls, etc).

As I play online a lot (these are all screen shots of the game set up in Roll20), I like some visual ephemera to underscore what might otherwise be lost due to lack of physical presence. So naturally I'd put that meter out in front, but yeah, you could certainly keep it "behind the screen" as it were. I just prefer to have it out front and do descriptive urgency as well. I think having something like this on the table is kind of like putting an hour glass or egg timer out there.

bawylie wrote:2.) The smoke pit. Working in concert with the threat meter - the smoke pit is a likely game-over. But it doesn't have to be. It can be a player tool if they plan it right.

I'd love to see if players ever think to use it against the goblins! Flush 'em out into a kill box...

bawylie wrote:3.) Random encounter tables, specifically, the side areas. There are random Exploration encounters that amount to world building and story telling. Good examples of RE Tables done right.

The formula I use (and re-use) is to put about half combat encounters and the other half a mix of exploration and social encounters. The exploration encounters are at the bottom of the chart (roll-wise), social in the middle, and combat at the top. The pace of the PCs modifies the roll, so slow-moving PCs have a 75% chance of getting exploration or social encounters. Fast-moving PCs flip that script. So players can actually use that information to make decisions based on their resources or desires. Want to avoid fights? Go Termite Tunnels and take it slow or moderate. Want a battle? Go Duende Tunnel and haul ass. I like to offer the players ways to get what they want in this fashion.

bawylie wrote:So Iserith this is great work (again). I've been a fan of these reworkings. Also, whether or not you like this style of doing things, Iserith's remixed adventures showcase the versatility of this system. Maybe I'd do some things differently. (Probably I would). It's very good to see that the system accommodates these changes. In fact, it welcomes them.  
As a standalone piece, this is good. As a broader test-drive of the DM side of things, this is good. I'm very pleased. 

Thanks again! Glad you like it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads