• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Out of the Abyss OOC

CB, how quickly do webs burn, will the whole area go up instantly, or expand out at say 5 squares/round?
The webs cover the entire area of the outpost and are networked between the series of stalactites. They do not, however, extend all the way over to the other side of the chasm. In my estimate, the webs would go up in smoke fairly quickly. In three rounds (at the end of the third round), they could be burned away entirely. They'd burn at the rate of 1/3 of their covered area per round.

Also, how close do the webs get to the rope bridges - is there a risk that they will catch fire?
The webs are 20' below the ledge. The rope bridge is taut but is not perfectly level; there is some give and some droop to the bridge. I think it's a safe bet to say the bridge is probably 18-20 feet above the webs. So while there is not *no* risk the bridge will catch fire, the risk is probably fairly minimal (depending on where the fire starts). There is also an 80' drop from the webs to the chasm floor. One function of the webs is to serve as a catch-all for anything (or anyone) who falls off the ledge or the rope bridge. There's a risk a heavy creature will rip right through the webs and fall all 100' to the chasm floor, but there is also a chance the webs will catch whatever/whoever falls off the ledge. Burn the webs, and you open the drop to the chasm floor to the full 100' with no chance of catching yourself on the webs. Just sayin'.

Finally, CB, could we please set a precedent for every one of Kamael's reactions to be Shield spell, unless otherwise specified? That would save me some typing, and I may forget one time.
Sure, we can do this. I've done it before in another PbP at the request of a player. I'll do my best to remember when shield auto-activates for Kamael, and between you and me, hopefully one of us will remember. Others should also feel free to point out if shield should have activated. What's the protocol you want to employ for shield's auto-activation, [MENTION=33284]Yavathol[/MENTION]?

Oh yes, and nice post of the Excel maps BTW.
Thanks, glad that journal entry was meaningful to you. The maps aren't perfect, but they are a point of pride for me because their presence in this game was literally years in the making on my end. They're worth the work I put into them, I think. Most of the work occurs on the front end, getting the scale and grid correct. Once you have that in place, the per-round combat updates go quickly. If I have a gripe, it would be that I dislike the image sharing site I have been using (tinypic.com). Tinypic is clunky. And sometimes it times out, or causes me to lose what I have typed on my EN World page, which I find more frustrating that a one-legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond.

What? I'm a Hoosier. We say crap like that around here. :)

Yavathol

Explorer
Thank you CB:) Shield protocol: when hit by an attack or targeted by magic missile!

Have we seen any other way down apart from falling (100' or 80', neither sounds appealing when we don't know how deep the water is!), or is the only way out along the ledge past all the drow?

One more thing, sorry, can I see any leather around, either on the dead drow armor or in the guard room perhaps? I've realised both Raza and Solace, possibly Brinn too, could benefit from Mage Armor & buffing them might be the best thing to do instead of slowly trying to Acid Splash the quaggoth to death!

Meant to post in the IC today. Work intrusion this morning followed by gift wrapping this afternoon followed by a pint of Zombie Dust IPA (can't believe they had it on tap!) at a pub this evening means that I got nothing done today that I intended to do.

Schiesse. But c'est la vie, eh? I'll do a post tomorrow morning.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Should Solace have rolled her attack with advantage this round, [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION]?

Yes! Thank you! I'll roll it here, and splice in the roll to post 101 of the IC thread.

Thank you for catching that. :)

Solace (advantage): to hit the better of 6 or [roll0].

EDIT: lol.

Shield protocol: when hit by an attack or targeted by magic missile!
I'm double checking with you to make sure you really mean any attack. Even one that deals only 1 point of damage?

Have we seen any other way down apart from falling (100' or 80', neither sounds appealing when we don't know how deep the water is!), or is the only way out along the ledge past all the drow?
Though none of you has seen it (none of you has been past the waterfall at the southern edge of the lower of the two maps in the IC), Shuushar mentioned to Raza before combat broke out that there is a basket and a winch that could lower individuals to the chasm floor. He said this within earshot of all of you. No one has darkvision with a range far enough to see the chasm floor from the ledge, so none of you know how far the pool extends in either direction (could be the whole length of the outpost, could be only a section).

can I see any leather around, either on the dead drow armor or in the guard room perhaps?
Both K'nyr and the Drow Guard wore a chain shirt. The quaggoths don't appear to have any armor. No one has explored the stalactite guard room yet. There were a few items hanging from a hook inside the stalactite and a rope ladder in there hangs from the wall, and appears to lead upward to a second story.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Raza's turn, GlassEye. Don't forget that Quaggoth 1 is lit up by faerie fire, so attack rolls against it go with advantage (for Raza and Brinn this would negate their disadvantage for not having darkvision).

Raza is in centipede form with 30 ft blindsight. I assumed this is a non-visual sense and have not been rolling with either advantage or disadvantage since she took that form. I hope that's right/okay.

[MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION], I'm looking at the Blindsight entry on PHB 183. Additionally, nothing in the Druid Wildshape entry leads me to believe she wouldn't get the benefit of blindsight while being wildshaped. I think, while she's in giant centipede form, her blindsight would kick in and she wouldn't be suffering disadvantage due to not having darkvision. With Quaggoth 1 being lit up by faerie fire, my read is that Raza should be getting advantage on her centipede attack rolls. I'd like you to please roll for advantage for Round 4.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads