• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Test of High Level 5E: Design 4 or 5 lvl 13 PCs for 6 to 8 encounter adventuring day

Silent image granted by mistyvisions I believe its a 3ft cube Tom is shorter than that and no way in hell is he 3ft wide. As for it porting guess that's a ruling zone

I wouldnt have thought it would be teleported. A wall of fire wouldnt. A summoned creature could, but only if it got targeted:

'You create the image of an object, a creature, or some other visible phenomenon that is no larger than a 15-foot cube. The image appears at a spot within range and lasts for the duration. The image is purely visual; it isn’t accompanied by sound, smell, or other sensory effects.

You can use your action to cause the image to move to any spot within range. As the image changes location, you can alter its appearance so that its movements appear natural for the image. For example, if you create an image of a creature and move it, you can alter the image so that it appears to be walking.'

Doesnt sount like it 'ports with you from that reading.

I don't think illusions port either. It's not an object or person.

Ill go with that.

Bold Italic, you wanna roll a fw Portent D20's for me before you port?

Ive just done a quick sketch map of the first encounter area (slightly changed from its original version now that I know the party composition).

Once the rolls are in, and in the absence of anything else, I'll assume you're ready to port in and I'll describe what happens next.

BoldItalic

First Post
I'm assuming that we all stand in a huddle when we teleport, expecting to arrive in a huddle. Maybe fan out when we arrive, but Bedrock and Edward will initially stay adjacent to each other (because of auras).

(edit) Portent rolls are 9 and 14.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I'm happy with that ruling how can you target something that isn't real. I'm working on 3hours sleep and no coffee be kind.

Ill head for the nearest source of cover with my whopping 22passive preception(not that I would need it to spot a rock) and take stock of my surroundings.

The air crackles with magic as the teleportation crystal sparks to life (Edward, cross off a 5th level spell slot). You all huddle together, and a sudden wave of vertigo sweeps over all of you as the world about you seems to spin, shrink, then stretch - before snapping back into a completely different scene.

You find yourselves in a large cave (80' x 40') with a 10' wide exit opposite you. The roof seems to have caved in nearer the exit; rubble strews the floor near the exit to the cavern, and weak sunlight streams in from a large hole in the ceiling, 60' above you. The entire cave feels off - as though the walls themselves are seeping evil. There is the faint smell of sulphur and death about.

You barely have time to soak this in, as you notice the shapes of two huge humanoids arguing among themselves in a strange language. One is slightly larger than the other - rime covers both creatures enormous physiques, and long beards stretch down to their navels. They wear patchwork armor and heft large axes - the axe of the larger one seems like it is made out of a single solid chunk of sharpened ice.

Your collective hearts skip a beat as you simultanously notice to your horror that you have teleported directly among the resting bodies of four huge white wolves! They are close enough you can feel a bitter cold from their panting. The magic of your arrival has spooked them, and one turns towards you and snarls as you materialise.

The two giants hear this and turn to face you, the largest one bellows a challenge (Görbårth döda små människor!!) and charge.

Roll initiative.

At the start of the encounter, the Frost Giants stand 25' apart from each other, and both are about 40' away from you at the start of combat.

The 4 Winter Wolves are within 5-10' of the party, and largely surround you, at cardinal points.

The western side of the cavern (the other side from where you appeared) is difficult terrain for large and smaller creatures. Visibility is good in the cavern due to the light streaming in from the hole in the roof. There are enough largish rocks in the western sie of the cavern to both hide behind and for a small (or smaller) creature to claim cover.

Q: Does any PC speak giant?

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Damn. I thought you were going to do all the rolling for us. Not sure if you have a d20 laying about at work, but this goes a lot faster if you roll initiative for everyone Flamestrike and post order.

Bard 15 initiative.
Dwarf 5.

Let the discussion begin.

OOC: Order of resolution:

1. If PC speaks Giant, attempt parley

2. Either way, I will attempt to neutralize the giants with hypnotic pattern. If this is successful on at least one giant, make sure you do not attack it. Focus fire on the wolves and other giant. If given an opportunity, I may fall back, wait for the giants to engage, and hypnotic pattern most of the group. The giants and wolves are both immune to cold, which means they can't damage each other with breath weapons to wake each other up. I think. We'll see how the initiative order goes. Remember to focus fire targets to bring them down and eliminate damage as much as possible. A polymorph spell would be real nice here since we could conserve hit points by brute on brute fighting transforming the cleric or paladin into a giant ape or T-rex to engage the targets. I can't remember if Edward took polymorph. I didn't take it with the bard because I planned to take it with the wizard. Polymorph is an amazing spell for use as a hit point buffer against pure brute creatures like this fight. Polymorph is just a great spell period. Back when you could summon pixies by choice with conjure woodland beings, the tactic was insanely broken transforming a whole group into giant apes or t-rexes in fights without heavy casting.

Last edited:

Remove ads