• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What's in YOUR house rule document/collection?

Greg K

Legend
When I saw the thread e "What's in YOUR Unearthed Arcana?", I thought it would be asking for people to share things in their personal house rule collections whether personally created or found online. To my disappointment, it was not. Given all the wonderful material created by posters and other third parties, I am starting a thread for people to share what they are using (including links if you should choose).

The following are a list of things that I have collected as I prepare a campaign- some items are merely up for consideration, but were interesting enough to collect. I have provided a few direct links and several general site links. As of the moment, I have not provided links to material posted here on ENWorld, but I will try to provide direct links to material from EnWorld and Jester David's 5MWD.com within the next few days.

Backgrounds

Classes: Subclasses

Class: Variants

[*]Fighter Variant:Light Armor Fighter (Khaalis http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?364670-5E-Fighter-Variant-Light-Fighter-(experiment))
  • New Subclasses: Brawler, Corsair, Duelist, Gallant, Kensei, Musketeer, Swashbuckler
  • New Fighting Styles

Classes: New

Classes: 2e Kit Conversions
Conversions: 2e Fighter Handbook Conversion (I'm a Banana enworld)
  • Kit Conversions: Class (Subclass)+Background+Equipment suggestions for first level characters
  • New Background: Amazon
  • New Feats

Conversions: 2e Thief Handbook (I'm a Banana enworld)
  • Kit Conversions: Class (Subclass)+Background+Equipment suggestions for 1st level characters
  • New Background: Brigand
  • New Background: Inspector

Skills

New Feats

Combat

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I use the 4e 'Bloodied' condition in 5e.
It doesn't do anything*, but announcing it does give the PCs some satisfaction that they finally are making progress against that big bag of HP which keeps lashing out at them.
When it does do something, it will probably be like a Reaction; giving the monster some new ability, like a weak aura -or- trigger a minor retaliatory attack -or- be a set of instructions ('he tries to flee the room').

* Usually. Yet.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
The Hastur Summon from Call of Cthulhu may be used, using the same methods and lack of need for a spell slot ("Hastur Hastur Hastur!"). Note: This will guarantee your death and most likely a TPK.

Any campaign that ends with the characters ascending to godhood was just a dream. Retroactively if need be. I'm not letting those sadists destroy Faerun again.

The previous rule does not apply to Galarion. Go hog wild if you want.

After the spate of zombie apocalypses caused by the show, discussion of The Walking Dead is banned at the table. Yes, it's a good show... but it always causes someone to try to recreate it by defiling an altar to Orcus. You know who you are, Mark.

Seducing Baba Yaga just to derail the campaign is a death sentence.

All AC boosting magic items require attunement, in order to keep ACs relatively reasonable.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Oh, mine's growing, slowly.

There's two new classes: a modified version of the latest UA Ranger, to fix some issues that I had with it, and a Scholar homebrew I worked up from other, less balanced (IMO, anyway), versions.

There's five new archetypes: A Shadow Rogue and Wizard, a Law Domain, a Creation Domain (I don't like the recent one much), and an Arcane Bloodline sorcerer.

There's several new feats, a few new pieces of equipment, and magic items have their own houserules now.

As for houserules, there's a decent number of them, mostly stuff that affects how HP works, to promote a more "1st Edition" feel.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Lots of stuff from EN5ider! I reckon I use about half of it (and the other half I just need the opportunity to!)

Valetudo

Adventurer
So far I keep my houserules simple.
I use a 16 14 13 12 10 8 stat array.
I start players off at 2nd level with 0 xp.
And last racial spells and spells from magic initiate feat are also added into spells known.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I ban all spellcasters except the warlock as PCs, and I allow all non-spellcasting subclasses from the PHB, any Primeval Thule product, and EN5ider. This has had limited impact on my game, since I have only three players and there has been no turnover of players or characters since the campaign began.

I allow all new items from Primeval Thule, and I allow a certain amount of flexibility for the warlock character, since he has to handle all of the spellcasting.

I allow any feats from the PHB or any Primeval Thule supplement. So far it's come into play in a very limited fashion: all three PCs are human (variant) and so they had a feat at 1st level. At 4th level two took feats and one took the ASI.

I came up with a simple item crafting system after the PCs commandeered a tower that included an alchemist's lab.

I use a slightly altered version of the Sanity rules Morrus posted here a while back, before the crash.

There's probably more.

Oh yeah. Standard array +2 for stats (that is, standard array plus an extra two points for them to assign as desired ).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
In our games we use the following:

Backgrounds
Tree-Keeper - Modified Acolyte background specific to the elven faith.
Graduate of the Great School of Magic - A background based on the Kit from 2e Glantri. Gives a minor benefit to use the school's facilities for research and also gives a one-off bonus of 2 extra 1st level spells in a wizard's spellbook.

Classes
Ranger - Revised Ranger
Wizard - Captured spellbooks may be used without having to enter the spells into the wizard's spellbook.

Other
Bloodied Condition from 4e. It's a good indicator of how well the players are doing and I may include some additional effects that happen in much the same way as Eltab has mentioned.
Numerous spells that are either homebrewed or adapted from earlier editions or other sources.

Natural 20 on a save is a pass. Natural 1 fails.

Its not as bad for the PCs (as there are so few save or suck spells nowadays, and all give repeated saves each round to shrug it off). It actually helps them (due to the fact its quite possible at higher levels for spell and ability DCs to scale higher than 20, while saves stay static).

My Resilent Con/ Con 16/ dwarven cleric spamming bless (+7+1d4) vs DC 10 is the main victim.

Draegn

Explorer
Talislanta skills and backgrounds
Harn religion
Homebrew magic system influenced by Talislanta and Shadowrun
Homebrew combat system influenced by Traveller
Additional attributes five physical, three mental, two social, and three quasi optional depending on "class"/background

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads