• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DM Help! My rogue always spams Hide as a bonus action, and i cant target him!

seebs

Adventurer
Yes, but not while observed directly (the way I read it).

The word "though" is a problem for this interpretation.

You're being disingenuous.

No, I'm not.

I assume that what Crawford meant was the ambiguous statement he made,

I don't think the statement is (intentionally) ambiguous. I think he assumed readers would perceive that the word "though" between two claims is intended to contrast those claims, and he contrasted "can't hide while being observed" with "can hide while being observed if you have one of these two abilities which have no purpose but to allow you to transition from unhidden to hidden while being observed".

The problem is, your "ambiguity" relies on never, ever, looking at the whole claim at once. When we're talking about hiding while directly observed, you say "oh, but it could mean remaining hidden". When the word "vanish" is pointed out, you jump to "oh, but it could mean while not being observed". But we're talking about a single thing being given as an example; vanishing while being directly observed.

But... Why would you ask him to "nullify the ambiguity"? You wouldn't. You'd ask him to confirm that he intended that ambiguity, and if he said "yes, I was trying to be ambiguous there", you'd win, and if he said "no, it absolutely meant that these powers allow a character to transition from unhidden to hidden while being directly observed", you wouldn't.

And I have drawn the obvious inference that you think he'd answer the same way I think he'd answer, by confirming that there was no intended ambiguity. Conveniently, if I'm wrong, it's stunningly easy to demonstrate that I'm wrong.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
A better gloss would have been "become unnoticeable". I was in a hurry due to having inadvertently posted before my post was ready. I agree that what I wrote there was a little awkward. An example of that usage would be, "They slip into the crowd and vanish."

Vanishing doesn't have to be sudden. For example, many endangered species have been in the process of vanishing for years. It's basically synonymous with disappear, and I'm not denying that it's a change of state. Whereas before the halfling steps behind a larger creature and becomes hidden she appears plainly to any observer, afterwards she does not appear to observers. She has vanished.

Every dictionary I've checked either states that vanishing is inherently sudden or quick (Merriam Webster, Macmillian, Oxford) or mentions that the word especially applies when the disappearance is sudden or quick (Cambridge, Free Dictionary). (Vanishing in the context of endangered species is a separate sense of the word (Merriam Webster 1b or Oxford 1.1), and so doesn't apply.)

Frankly, I'm surprised by your agreement that vanishing involves a change of state, as the concession appears to be fatal to your argument. I had thought that your entire contention was that Crawford was saying that a Halfling could remain hidden in conditions where others could not. If you agree that Crawford is referring to a Halfling becoming hidden (i.e. changing state) then there doesn't appear to be any ambiguity at all.

Are you instead trying to argue that Crawford is referring to Halflings becoming hidden when they're not "in full view"? I understand that you feel that the conjunction "though" is implying qualification rather than opposition, but if the sentence about Halflings isn't understood to be in the same context as the previous sentence where "in full view" is used explicitly, then it becomes a complete non sequitur.

Furthermore, in addition to making no sense in context, there would be no reason at all for Crawford state anywhere that Halflings can become hidden behind another creature when they're unobserved, because anyone can become hidden when not in full view even if they don't have anyone to hide behind. They simply can't remain hidden once full view is established. That's why I thought your point was that Crawford, by saying that Halflings can "vanish", somehow meant by that word that they could remain hidden. Since you agree that vanishing requires a change of state, however, I'm now completely lost as to what interpretation of Crawford's text you're arguing for and how it supports your interpretation of hiding.

To answer the OP's question, the rules for hiding are left open to DM interpretation.

You can say this about all rules really, but the hiding rules are left even more so. I know there are some people who claim there is 'the one true way' to adjudicate hiding, but I disagree. The rules are intentionally written to support different interpretations.

Some games (and some DMs) prefer a 'mash the hide button' approach. Some DMs prefer a more simulationist approach. If hiding a problem in your game, you can reign it in by changing how you interpret the rules (several options have been presented in this thread).

My own interpretation is a more simualtionist one. In short (in my games):

1. You can not attempt to Hide when a creature can see you 'clearly enough' (as determined by the DM). This is adjudicated in common sense, plain english. If the creature can see you going into your hiding spot, he can see you clearly enough to foil you taking the Hide action once you get there.

2. When you are hidden, you cant be targetted barring a lucky guess. Often your opponent wont even know you're there.

3. Wood Elves and Halflings (and creatures with Skulker) can attempt to Hide when only lightly obscured (or behind a medium+ sized creature for halflings), but this doesnt change the restriction imposed at point 1 above (i.e. they still cant do it while under direct observation).

4. When hidden, your first attack is made with advantage. Peeking over or around cover, springing out of the shadows to stab someone or whatever. After that attack (hit or miss) you blow your position and are no longer hidden (barring Skulkers who miss who remain hidden).

5. You stop being hidden once the creature knows where you are (and is objectively correct in that knowledge). Either via the search action, via his actions (opening the box you are hiding in), your actions (attacking or otherwise revealing yourself) or if someone who knows where you are tells the creature where you are.​

I'm not here to judge either interpretation, or to defend why I prefer the above interpretation. Im just stating the interpretation I use in my games.

Its just the OP has been using the 'mash the hide button' interpretation in his games, and its creating unwanted results (see the OP). Perhaps changing interpretations to the above one could work for him.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
A better gloss would have been "become unnoticeable". I was in a hurry due to having inadvertently posted before my post was ready. I agree that what I wrote there was a little awkward. An example of that usage would be, "They slip into the crowd and vanish."

That's not an example of "remain unnoticed". Rather, it's an example of suddenly disappearing from sight. They are suddenly going from view to not in view by moving behind individuals.

Vanishing doesn't have to be sudden. For example, many endangered species have been in the process of vanishing for years. It's basically synonymous with disappear, and I'm not denying that it's a change of state. Whereas before the halfling steps behind a larger creature and becomes hidden she appears plainly to any observer, afterwards she does not appear to observers. She has vanished.
No that's not true. When talking about endangered species, they are looking at it from a viewpoint of the species existing for millions of years. When talking in amounts of time of millions of years, then 100 years to extinction is not only sudden, it's VERY sudden.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
IMO 5E Stealth is not ''Simulationist approach vs mash the hide button'' but more that since they're not rigorous some poeple stick to what the Stealth rules says alone where others rely also on what the rules don't say to adjucate Stealth as well. For exemple the Stealth rules don't say that a creature can't hide if you saw it go out of view to enter into it's hiding spot, they only say one can hide when not seen clearly and not making noise. Some DM will rule that they can still hide because they're not seen or heard where they now stand, while others will rule that they can't because observers can deduce their location.

I generally find that people saying the Stealth rules are written intentionally vague are people that more extensively rely also on what the Stealth rules don't say to adjucate them where people that don't just are those more sticking to them as written. The DM can adjucate the Stealth rules and any other rules the way he want in the end if it make their game more enjoyable i am not saying t's bad or anything it's just an observation.

IMO 5E Stealth is not ''Simulationist approach vs mash the hide button'' but more that since they're not rigorous some poeple stick to what the Stealth rules says alone where others rely also on what the rules don't say to adjucate Stealth as well. For exemple the Stealth rules don't say that a creature can't hide if you saw it go out of view to enter into it's hiding spot, they only say one can hide when not seen clearly and not making noise. Some DM will rule that they can still hide because they're not seen or heard where they now stand, while others will rule that they can't because observers can deduce their location.

'You cant hide from a creature that can see you clearly enough' to me says just this.

I dont interpret 'hide' in that sentence to mean 'the Hide action'. I interpret that sentence to mean what it means in the real world using plain english language, not as some kind of parsed gamist rules jargon.

You cant say that the rules dont support my interpretation. How I interpret that passage is entirely up to me.

You can say that you favor a different interpretation (and thats fine, more luck to you.)

I generally find that people saying the Stealth rules are written intentionally vague are people that more extensively rely also on what the Stealth rules don't say to adjucate them where people that don't just are those more sticking to them as written

But do you agree that they're written intentionally vague (and intentionally in a way to support multiple interpretations)?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
the Stealth rules don't say that a creature can't hide if you saw it go out of view to enter into it's hiding spot

'You cant hide from a creature that can see you clearly enough' to me says just this.

Um. If it's out of view, you can't see it at all, let alone "clearly enough".

I dont interpret 'hide' in that sentence to mean 'the Hide action'. I interpret that sentence to mean what it means in the real world using plain english language, not as some kind of parsed gamist rules jargon.

You cant say that the rules dont support my interpretation. How I interpret that passage is entirely up to me.

That much is true. You can interpret it as ice cream cones if you want to.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
May be you don't understand the sentences or the article if you think it's that ambiguous?

Actually, it's because I do understand them that I think it's ambiguous.

The conjonction though serving as a qualification doesn't sync with it's meaning ''despite the fact''

It isn't being used as a conjunction, though. It's being used as an adverb indicating that the halfling's ability qualifies or imposes a restriction on the normal situation that being in full view is a circumstance inappropriate for hiding. The qualification, as I see it, is that as long as the halfling is behind an appropriately sized creature, she can hide in a circumstance where there is no restriction on vision that would make hiding possible. That doesn't mean she can do it while under the observation of the person from whom she's hiding, i.e. it's only a partial qualification.

And if in addition to not be in plain view you need to be behind a creature to try to vanish with Naturally Stealthy like you interpret this qualification, then being behind a creature is really useless since everyone can try to hide when not in plain view, it would only be good to remain hidden. Taken that the halfling's ability doesn't let him remain hidden behind a creature but try to hide as well, that's where your interpretation falls apart.

But it is in plain view. It's just that no observer is present. Characters without these abilities can't hide in plain view even when no observer is present because whoever they're hiding from will see them.

the Stealth rules don't say that a creature can't hide if you saw it go out of view to enter into it's hiding spot

Yes they do. The say you cant hide from a creature that can see you clearly enough.

If I saw you go into your hiding spot behind your tree, I clearly saw you go into hiding. Ergo, you cant [take the hide action] relative to me once you get behind the tree. I saw you go into hiding.

I mean; you can 'take the Hide action' behind your tree if you want. Your DC is infinity. You fail, and on my turn I walk over behind the tree I saw you duck behind and clobber you with my greataxe.

You can winge and sook about it all you want, but that interpretation is open to me from the RAW. Aint nothing you can do about it either.

pemerton

Legend
Not it's not you're misunderstanding how it works.
I flagged the alternative: you make a roll to determine detection, and then (if that succeeds) a second roll to determine if the person is seen (ie because of the disadvantage you have to succeed on both). That means that, on your approach, lightly obscured terrain is excellent for generating disadvantage on attacks: anyone who is in it can make a DEX (Stealth) check and unless the attacker succeeds on two WIS (Perception) checks (because of disadvantge) they have disadvantage to attack the not-hidden-but-not-seen target. (Of course if both WIS checks fail they can't attack - except by way of guessing - because they don't know where the person is.)

This is why I'm not sure about [MENTION=61529]seebs[/MENTION] description of [MENTION=6787503]Hriston[/MENTION]'s approach as "nerfing" hiding. Nerfing is relative to a baseline; but what's the baseline here? The approach you're describing seems to make light obscurement pretty strong - and if that's how you think it works, to me maybe that speaks in favour of [MENTION=6787503]Hriston[/MENTION]'s approach.

Remove ads