• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Dust" and "Midway" - Codenames for Upcoming D&D Hardcovers

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Typically the September release has been an adventure, and the November release a rules book (Sword Coast Adventurers Guide; Volo's Guide to Monsters). WotC has been hinting at a "major rules expansion" for a while now.

My guess? Take it with a massive truckload of salt, but I'm going to guess that Dust is fey or fey wild related. Possible the thing Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped with. But it really is a wild guess.

"Dust"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 19 September 2017
9780786966103, 0786966106
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

"Midway"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 21 November 2017
9780786966110, 0786966114
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

Ampersand Transparent.png

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I was watching the AcqInc show live and when Chris mentioned the 'Soulmonger' and having to go to Ubtao... I immediately assumed he was referring to Acererak. When 'Labyrinth' was discovered and talked about, Acererak's name came up and many people thought that perhaps an entire AP was being built around him and various new tombs of horror showing up perhaps in the Realms (not the actual S1 tomb, but just locations that Acererak had built across the multiverse, including one or more in Chult.) And which Artus Cimbur and the Ring of Winter had been connected. Seems to me, if his demilich skull in S1 is any indication 'Soulmonger' definitely could apply to Acererak.

The other primary 'Soulmonger' reference in D&D though of course is Blackrazor. The sword swallows souls and just coincidentally has been playtested as a Warlock patron. So perhaps *that's* the 'Soulmonger' Chris was referring to?

Or you know what? With Tales of the Yawning Portal just being released and getting more people up on the history of Acerarak and Blackrazor (through the WPM and ToH reprints)... who's to say that perhaps the next AP this fall involves BOTH Acererak *and* Blackrazor having traversed the multiverse? As Perkins said during the AcqInc game... anyone who had died previously in Faerun was having their life drained away-- the M.O. of both the demilich and the sword respectively. If the two teamed up to run roughshod... ;)

Staffan

Legend
I think folks expecting or hoping for Dark Sun are going to be disappointed. They don't even out a Dark Sun entry in the module sidebars. I think it is far more likely we will see Eberron as a second setting (assuming one doesn't count Ravenloft as one). We might see Dragonlance as a big AP with a supporting hardcover but I bet that is still years away.

I'm beginning to have some hope that we'll see Eberron released this fall. One clue is that a lot of the Unearthed Arcanas so far have had Eberron-appropriate material - for example, the Druid UA had a circle focusing on fey and healing, and another on the edge between life and death. The College of Whispers bard seems tailor-made for the houses of Phiarlan and Thuranni. And of course there's the Artificer.

Another clue is that I'm seeing Eberron's profile being subtly raised in various Wizards-adjacent places. For example, Geek & Sundry have had two Signal Boosts where the hosts have mentioned D&D in general and Eberron in particular (Damion Poitier about half a year ago, and Satine Phoenix recently), and Keith Baker just started up a podcast about Eberron along with some other folks. That's certainly not enough to make me bet on Eberron's return, but it's enough to give me hope, Joanna.

I was watching the AcqInc show live and when Chris mentioned the 'Soulmonger' and having to go to Ubtao... I immediately assumed he was referring to Acererak. When 'Labyrinth' was discovered and talked about, Acererak's name came up and many people thought that perhaps an entire AP was being built around him and various new tombs of horror showing up perhaps in the Realms (not the actual S1 tomb, but just locations that Acererak had built across the multiverse, including one or more in Chult.) And which Artus Cimbur and the Ring of Winter had been connected. Seems to me, if his demilich skull in S1 is any indication 'Soulmonger' definitely could apply to Acererak.

The other primary 'Soulmonger' reference in D&D though of course is Blackrazor. The sword swallows souls and just coincidentally has been playtested as a Warlock patron. So perhaps *that's* the 'Soulmonger' Chris was referring to?

Or you know what? With Tales of the Yawning Portal just being released and getting more people up on the history of Acerarak and Blackrazor (through the WPM and ToH reprints)... who's to say that perhaps the next AP this fall involves BOTH Acererak *and* Blackrazor having traversed the multiverse? As Perkins said during the AcqInc game... anyone who had died previously in Faerun was having their life drained away-- the M.O. of both the demilich and the sword respectively. If the two teamed up to run roughshod... ;)

It would seem odd to me for them to reprint an updated Tomb of Horrors in Tales of the Yawning Portal...and then essentially do it again in the next adventure path.

gyor

Legend
There are connections in other settings too.
War Wizard's are a big thing in Cormyr in FR, one of the Bard Colleges has a connection to Darksun, the Mystic has strong links to both Kara-Tur in FR as well as Darksun and Eberron, Favoured Souls are likely to be more common in the Forgotten Realms then most other D&D settings.

I think the evidence that we have at this point strongly suggests Dust will be in Chult and Midway will be that big book of mechanics that WotC has been working on.

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=6677017]Sword of Spirit[/MENTION] - really? People have misconceptions about WotC D&D and don't bother to look any deeper? Shock. :boggle: :p

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
We pretty much already know that the next AP is based in the Forgotten Realms because of what Storm King's Thunder tells us about Artus Cimber and the ring of winter. And it's pretty conclusive at this point that Midway is the mechanical expansion (it certainly won't be another AP).

So...
1st Fall release = Forgotten Realms AP
2nd Fall release = Mechanical expansion ("Midway")

At this point, anyone who thinks we're getting Eberron, Dark Sun, or Spelljammer this year is going to be mightily disappointed. The only chance of that happening is if it involves one of the smaller $5-25 releases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickleaf

Legend
We pretty much already know that the next AP is based in the Forgotten Realms because of what Storm King's Thunder tells us about Artus Cimber and the ring of winter. And it's pretty conclusive at this point that Midway is the mechanical expansion (it certainly won't be another AP).

So...
1st Fall release = Forgotten Realms AP
2nd Fall release = Mechanical expansion ("Midway")

At this point, anyone who thinks we're getting Eberron, Dark Sun, or Spelljammer this year is going to be mightily disappointed. The only chance of that happening is if it involves one of the smaller $5-25 released.

Can you spoil that bit about Artus and the ring of winter from SKT? I didn't get SKT (gaming group on other things right now) so I only hear word-of-mouth. I thought it was just a mention and a possibility, rather than something as assured as you imply?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads