• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revisiting crusty old games

Rolenet

Explorer
So, you want to chat but are not inspired by the scientific basis of dice balance vs. paint thickness?
Here's a thread inspired by [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] here. We've derailed THAT thread enough.

So here's the topic: have you tried pulling out an old game from the 80s (bonus point for the 70s) and gave it a try? What is a failure, like trying to watch E.T. again?

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've often gone back and played older games - RQII, AD&D or 1st ed Gamma World (all bearing 1977-'79 copyrights, I believe, though I acquired all of them c1980-'81), particularly. I called it 'paleo-gaming.' I guess I peaked doing that at about 2/year about 12 years ago, I want to say. Then, a few years later, the OSR thing got rolling...

I think I kept going back to RQII and GW because I hadn't gotten to play them /enough/ back in the day. There was so much cool stuff I'd thought of but never gotten to do in each system. AD&D I played plenty - enough that I eventually got sick of 2e - I'd go back to it now & then if I could play a specific character I really liked.

Nagol

Unimportant
There are a bunch of games I have/will play from the '70s and 80s. There are others I have and will run. Heck some of my favourite games systems come from that period!

Played recently or would jump at the chance: 1e, (70s) Chivalry and Sorcery (70s), RQ II (70s)/III, Champions 4e (and a bunch of the "little game" versions of prior editions such as Justice Inc., Espionage!, Danger International), Bushido, Aftermath, The Fantasy Trip, FASA Star Trek, Ars Magica 2e, 3e, classic Traveler, and Morrow Project.

Run Recently/Would run again: Teenagers from Outer Space, 1e, Aftermath, RQ II/III, Champions 4e (and a few of the little games such as Danger International, and Robot Warriors), Ars Magica 2e.

Rolenet

Explorer
Alright, bonus points for the 70s games, guys.
There's no actual bonus points, though. (Except for the secret bonus points you get on ENWorld Elite.)
[MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION], you know you can just play Ars Magica 5th. It's not like they've changed anything to the game in five editions, seriously. It just lost a lot of magic.
- End of rant. -

You know what? Scrap this. More Ars Magica rant. Did you know people who did play it back then? I have a theory. The theory is that the reason why Ars Magica is raved about, is that nobody actually ever played the game for more than 3 sessions and/or not in any actual workable "seasons/covenant" form. What's your take on this?

Ah, yes, I've also played Classic Traveler. Honestly I don't even consider that to be a 'retro' game, its still basically the same game they sell today, give or take a few small hacks.

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
Gamma World - that's intriguing. What was the appeal back then? And was it different later?

Gamma World back then was great because you felt powerful for ALL the hit points. I don't remember it poorly. I loved it. Had a friend get stuck on the item chart while dealing with a black ray rifle. About 45 minutes just rolling on the chart with a million near-deaths from near failures.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
RuneQuest was sort of balanced by not really having classes ;) and the magic was intended to feel more primitive and anamistic or some such with everyone partaking.

S'mon

Legend
I last ran 1e AD&D October 2013 (at a check). I'm currently running Rules Cyclopedia Classic D&D; campaign has been going a few years and highest PCs are up around 17th-18th level. RC especially doesn't really feel 'crusty'; I guess with 1e I'm omitting a fair bit & houseruling a fair bit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads