• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judgement calls vs "railroading"

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, it matters if you're trying to answer questions like is this railroading? or does this game involve a high level of player agency?

Those are questions about the way that the content of the shared fiction is being created. So you can't answer them without having information about how the content of the shared fiction is being created. And you can't get that information simply from a description of in-fiction events.

Well, if I heard a game described in that way I would form the working hypothesis that it is completely GM-driven: that play is driven by the GM "baiting hooks" and the players following them.

I can envisage circumstances in which tht working hypothesis might be refuted; the fact that the GM baited two hooks wouldn't be one of them, though.
So it's GM-driven if the players/PCs can choose whether to follow the hooks or not and it's also GM-driven if the players/PCs have to follow the hooks with no choice?

Turn it around: instead of asking about inns let's say our hypothetical PC is in town looking to see if there's any adventuring needs doing, that her party can handle. She inquires with the local militia, maybe the MU's guild, one or two other places...and it would seem by your definitions that any answer the GM provides is going to make it a GM-driven game. This seems overly harsh, given as you seem to equate "GM-driven" with a lesser experience or poorer game.

Why do the PCs need to establish "immersion" in the world? They're of it, aren't they?
Players establish immersion, PCs gain a toehold. Didn't type that the most clearly in previous post.

Why wouldn't the player just tell the GM this? That seems like the most effective way to get the fiction to move in the direction one wants it to.
Strange to see you asking this, when you've been advocating all along for the GM to be able to be surprised by what transpires. :)

Maybe in this case the player doesn't want anyone else to know the fiction's moving in a particular direction until it's already got there. Maybe she's looking to surprise everyone with her seemingly-out-of-the-blue purchase/stickup/torching of the inn (or with whatever other action she's got in mind - this particular example isn't the best for what I'm getting at).

Anyway...got a session to run...

Lanefan

hawkeyefan

Legend
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

I don't have the time to give your post the reply that I think it deserves. But I will make a few points as I see them. I am sure I am missing something because I don't play Dungeon World, and I'm only vaguely familiar with its mechanics; your references to different types of moves aren't all that clear to me, why do some have names like Defy Danger and others are just described as hard moves? Is it a player move versus GM move? I'm not sure....and I'd rather not big things down with an explanation of all the rules.

What I get out of the DW description is that the dice determine the success or failure of a given action, and the GM then uses judgment to determine the results.

In your 5E description, I feel you're assuming manipulation of the roll results. And I see how one system may lend itself to such abuse more than the other, but I don't really see how the DW example avoids GM driven material.

Perhaps I am mixing different parts of the discussion?

The way i see the scenario, this little sojourn into Earthmaw is a kind of "side trek" (sorry [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]!)...meaning it happened as a result of the PC falling into a crevasse and then into an underground river. You also said this was all determined on the fly.

So the story of the hobgoblin kingdom and the PCs' relationship (and their kingdom/home?) is still there in the background. A kind of main story that looms over everything. And this "side trek" is turning out to be more than that because how the PC handles the situation could impact things in the larger conflict.

That's the situation as I understand it. If I'm wrong let me know.

I see a GM presence in the scenario either way. It seems more a question of how. Let's set aside actual manipulation of roll results and the like. The GM in DW is determining this scenario on the fly, and yet it dovetails into the "larger" story. How is that not nudging things toward what the GM wants?

I think that perhaps the crux of the matter comes down to a question of the Outcome. I don't think that [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] or [MENTION=6802765]Xetheral[/MENTION] or myself are abdicating a predetermined outcome. I think that we all expect the actual outcome to depend on how the PCs deal with what comes their way.

Which is why I think your example of 5E play was a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, the DM can set a DC and keep that DC secret and then twist the die result to whatever he wants. In this case the implication is a nudge towards conflict with the hobgoblins. This could happen of course, but without good reason I don't think it's a good idea, nor do I think anyone is saying that would be the way to handle it.

I think instead, when those of us in the thread are advocating for GM driven material, what we're talking about is that "main plot" of the relationship with the hobgoblin kingdom. That's the main focus of the campaign/adventure/what have you, and so we try to keep things from moving too far afield from that. That's what the GM has worked on, that's how things have taken shape in the game, and so on.

It doesn't mean that the GM has decided the outcome must be war, or anything quite so strict.

hawkeyefan, right on the cusp of bed, so let me try to clarify right quick.

[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

I don't have the time to give your post the reply that I think it deserves. But I will make a few points as I see them. I am sure I am missing something because I don't play Dungeon World, and I'm only vaguely familiar with its mechanics; your references to different types of moves aren't all that clear to me, why do some have names like Defy Danger and others are just described as hard moves? Is it a player move versus GM move? I'm not sure....and I'd rather not big things down with an explanation of all the rules.

What I get out of the DW description is that the dice determine the success or failure of a given action, and the GM then uses judgment to determine the results.

So there is a suite of Basic Moves common to all player characters. Defy Danger is one of them. It is the equivalent of a D&D Saving Throw. You roll dice when you act despite an imminent threat or suffer a calamity and we need to find out what happens.

Player Character moves all have names (whether that be specific to your Class/Race playbook or just a Basic Move). For instance, the Barbarian has:

Herculean Appetites
Others may content themselves with just a taste of wine, or dominion over a servant or two, but you want more. Choose two appetites. While pursuing one of your appetites if you would roll for a move, instead of rolling 2d6 you roll 1d6+1d8. If the d6 is the higher die of the pair, the GM will also introduce a complication or danger that comes about due to your heedless pursuits.

Pure destruction
Power over others
Mortal pleasures
Conquest
Riches and property
Fame and glory

These moves occur when their trigger (the bolded is Defy Danger's trigger) happens within the fiction.

GM moves don't have names. We just make soft moves (these are (a) scene openers or (b) triggered on a 7-9 PC move outcome) and hard moves (triggered on a 6- PC move outcome or when a player, through their PC, ignores or doesn't handle a soft move where I've telegraphed some impending threat or danger). Soft moves present hard choices, offer hard bargains, or put folks in tough spots. Hard moves are immediate and irrevocable consequences (like falling from the sled into the glacial crevasse's icy river and waking up in the pitch-black basement of Earthmaw and freezing to death...with terrible denizens about).

And the GM doesn't use judgement in the classical sense. This gets into the "principled GMing" that [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] spoke of. Dungeon World GMing has a very specific Agenda and a system of Principles to guide GMs in their moves. I've spoken about them above (as has Campbell), but have a look here here if you want to have a refresher. It is short and light reading.

In your 5E description, I feel you're assuming manipulation of the roll results. And I see how one system may lend itself to such abuse more than the other, but I don't really see how the DW example avoids GM driven material.

The reason why you feel I'm assuming manipulation of the roll results in the 5e description is because I intended it that way (I said as much in that post). I'm trying to provide a contrast between Storyteller GMing which features Illusionism, classic Refereeing, and Principled "Story Now"/"Play to Find out" GMing. We've already covered the latter two with B/X and DW so I'm using 5e for Storyteller GMing which features Illusionism.

I also caveated that I know 5e doesn't have to be GMed in this fashion (I know for a fact that it doesn't have to be as when I fill in for another GM every 6 weeks or so, I don't run it that way). It just "plays nice with it" due to a number of features of the system (and its general GM mandate).

The way i see the scenario, this little sojourn into Earthmaw is a kind of "side trek" (sorry [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]!)...meaning it happened as a result of the PC falling into a crevasse and then into an underground river. You also said this was all determined on the fly.

So the story of the hobgoblin kingdom and the PCs' relationship (and their kingdom/home?) is still there in the background. A kind of main story that looms over everything. And this "side trek" is turning out to be more than that because how the PC handles the situation could impact things in the larger conflict.

That's the situation as I understand it. If I'm wrong let me know.

I'm trying to stay away from the big picture stuff and just focus on the nuts and bolts of the play excerpt (not how we got to that point in the overall game). The actual play conversation and how player action declarations > resolution mechanics > and GMing get us from "here" to "there."

But if you want further context for things, here you go:

There is no side trek here. I was forced to make a Hard Move due to a Scout move (one of the Undertake a Perilous Journey roles) that was a 6 or less. I followed the play agenda, the fiction, and my principles and introduced the glacial crevasse hazard where the sled was falling in. The Hard Move I made would fall under the rubric of "use a monster, danger, or location move."

This snowballed in a dramatic way. The Elf PC helped save everyone else, (the sled was pulled out of the hazard), but he ultimately fell into the drink and emptyied out in Earthmaw's basement (after a Defy Danger - Strength move resulted in another 6-).

This sort of thing isn't a "side quest". This is just the sort of "play to find out" snowballing of events that generates emergent story in Powered By the Apocalypse games. The PCs were going to Earthmaw (a place that was generated on the play map as a result of a 10+ Spout Lore move by this same Elf PC) to Resupply (a move), to attempt to locate some refugee families from the ruined settlement of World's End Bluff, and to hopefully gain audience with the Ancient Blizzard Dragon Averandox (NPC generated as a result of that same Spout Lore move) about some stuff.

GMs in Dungeon World don't prepare metaplot. They make a map with blanks and prepare 1 or 2, what is called Fronts. These are a collection of threats, and ill omens that are there to provide obstacles and dangers to the PCs. They fill their lives with danger and interpose themselves between the PCs and their goals. You make the very low resolution map (again...lots of blanks to be filled out during play) and the Fronts after character creation.

Everything else is generated during play through the basic play procedures and following the games Agenda and GMing principles.

So at the start of play we had a few adventuring sites/locales including the eerily quiet settlement (World's End Bluff) in the highlands that the PCs were going to.

As far as Fronts go, I had Apocalypse Cult (impulse; to bring about the end of the world) and Otherworldly Aboleths (impulse; to change everything and pave the way for The Mother).

Hopefully that clarifies a bit. Again, I'm just trying to focus here on specific stuff; the play excerpt, the GMing styles, and how "here" to "there" emerges as a result of the play conversation and the varying procedures I outlined. If that doesn't change your analysis/response, then I'll answer the rest of your post tomorrow or the next day. If it does, I'll respond to your next post.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I do not know how we can meaningfully analyze play without taking a critical look at what's actually happening between the very real people sitting around a very real table having an actual conversation. Part of that includes their motives. That also includes the unspoken cultural expectations that inform play. Is the player trying to get something in particular done, perhaps building some relationships with the locals they can use later? Are they trying to get the lay of the land? Are they just trying to make a statement about their character? Are they giving the GM an opportunity to share some of their world building? Are they biting a plot hook? Looking for general opportunities to exercise some protagonism? What sort of response are they expecting from the GM? This sort of stuff absolutely impacts play.

My general approach to this sort of thing will depend on the game and how I am running it. Generally, I think all sorts of fiction can be interesting and if a player is showing interest in something I will try to follow their lead and see if we can get some of the other players involved. I generally leave that up to the players though. This is where asking questions and building on the answers can be extremely helpful to get us from a general idea to some meaningful fiction with consequence that we can explore and play in.

I do not generally make the same distinctions that [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] does between mere color, framing, and action declaration. My focus is on player decision making and how we can make it consequential. This is part of the reason why I make the distinction between Scene Framing and GM as MC.

Generally speaking a GM who primarily frames scenes is going to be asking themselves questions like -

• Where's the conflict?
  • What's the intent?
  • What's at stake?
  • What's the possible fallout of the conflict?
  • What sort of conflicts can this lead to?

Generally speaking, a Master of Ceremonies (MC) is going to be asking themselves questions like -
  • Where's the interest?
  • What's the fiction like?
  • What can we find out about these characters?
  • What sort of opportunities and decisions does this present the players with?
  • What sort of fictions and decisions can those decisions lead to?

These subtle distinctions have powerful effects on play. Both are primarily concerned with keeping things in the fiction. Scene Framing or Conflict Resolution is biased towards higher stakes, action adventure, and keeping things tense in every moment of play. Player decisions are focused on immediate concerns almost exclusively. An MC is more interested in exploring things, teasing out the fiction, letting conflicts arise more organically through player decision making, following the players' characters around. There is more room for lateral decision making, altering strategies, gaining leverage, and the like.

It is important to remember that the style of play Apocalypse World formalized organically grew out of games played in war gaming style. Games like Moldvay B/X, Traveler, Talislanta, and the like. It is entirely a cogent strategy in Apocalypse World for a player to make moves without like making moves by doing things like engaging in peaceful negotiations where the game mechanics do not apply. The GM still makes their moves, but is very concerned with following the fiction. One of the things that separates this style of play from scene framing is that players decide their own level of engagement. Part of the tension of play in Apocalypse World is if there will be a conflict at all. Conflicts don't even have to be resolved immediately. Ongoing conflicts are often a fixture of play. A Burning Wheel PC fights for what they believe in, and giving up on a belief is a transformative experience. What an Apocalypse World PC decides is worth fighting for tells you what they believe in and that can change on a whim.

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
One of the ways that Apocalypse World and its close cousins make GM manipulation of outcomes, consequences, and the fiction more apparent is ironically by giving them much more latitude than is typical in most mainstream games. You do not get to hide behind mechanisms like attack and damage rolls or little procedural bits like health regen per day. In Apocalypse World you deliver harm (as established) and decide how long it takes to recover from harm. In Masks the GM gets to declare an NPC has Influence over you or has made you Angry. In Monsterhearts the GM can declare an NPC has a String, a bit of emotional leverage, on you or that you Become Your Darkest Self. There are no real stats for NPCs, only the fiction. No action economy either. You never roll the dice. Their moves, your prep, and the fiction as established always apply to you. They form very real constraints on your play.

Combined with having your agenda and principles laid bare, an overt expectation of honestly conveying the fictional world, very low system cognitive overhead for the player, and being true to your prep it creates an environment where it is easy to see when a GM is taking it easy on you or or pushing for things to go a certain way. You gain an intuitive grasp of what soft moves and hard moves look like pretty quickly. You can tell when you are being screwed with.

Another feature of play that limits this is that we are following these characters around as they live their daily lives, not generally going off on adventures or exploring unknown dungeons. Obviously this is somewhat different for Dungeon World. Players' characters are assumed to really belong in the milieu, like emphatically belong. They get to really know your NPCs, the things that drive them, what they really want and are after. When you are not a fish out of water it is easy to get a bad smell off an NPC.

Additionally, on a system level, there are player moves like Read A Charged Sitch, Read A Person, and Open Your Brain to the World’s Psychic Maelstrom that if successful oblige you to give players real information they can use to make decisions. There's always a risk involved, but that's the fun part. These moves were designed to allow GMs to quickly transition to referee mode.

Last edited:

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Alive. Country may not be after the vote but hey.

Combined with having your agenda and principles laid bare, an overt expectation of honestly conveying the fictional world, very low system cognitive overhead for the player, and being true to your prep it creates an environment where it is easy to see when a GM is taking it easy on you or or pushing for things to go a certain way. You gain an intuitive grasp of what soft moves and hard moves look like pretty quickly. You can tell when you are being screwed with.

I'll catch up with the swathes of text over the last couple of pages when I can. In the meantime, this description of play/style of play - what is it/are we calling it? I ask because it seems to describe how we run our D&D sessions, at least today, rather well. Many moons ago, we'd expect the DM to fudge things - or at least realise that there was always some covert DM play involved, where aspects of play would be changed - during play - in order to better tailor the experience to the players.

Today, we prefer a more, for lack of a better term, simulationist approach. I've never played Apocalypse World, only read the rulebook briefly though if I am inferring the style of play correctly, from your descriptions Manbearcat & Cambell, it seems close to how we play.

Our expectation have shifted over time - things like attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws are fairly straight forward, and with the relative simplicity of the Advantage/Disadvantage system, 'soft' and hard moves' on the part of the DM become more apparent. D&D is not a complicated system ('low system cognitive overhead'), so folks can quickly gauge the outcomes of many situations when engaged with situations with a clear mechanical element. And when I personally feel the DM is making a soft move on my behalf, I feel dis-empowered as a player.

As a result, the expectation is that the DM will be, 'true to their prep' as much as possible - let the events and the dice fall as play develops. Players are empowered through choice - to explore, engage with the world and to fail. However, saying all this, the 'prep' can and has been tailored to the players and continues to be tailored to the players between sessions, though it is obviously constrained by the choices and outcomes that have occurred during play from previous sessions. [sblock]For example, recently most of a character party were killed outright, no chance of healing or resurrection. The result was all down to the choices the players had made - they chose to push on with minimal resources. Their plan relied on some risky elements and luck was not on their side. The DM played it 'true', letting events unfold as the dice and circumstances dictated.

However, rather than winking out of existence, the players then found themselves floating in a void, another time a space. Cue lots of astral craziness, where the characters first had to recognize what they were, where and what the other characters were before finally being approached by the patron of one of the (still living) characters. A terrifying chat later and they woke up near their bodies as ghosts, with a message for the living warlock character etched upon their souls.

They then used their undead state to exact vengeance on their killer and right the wrongs of the town they were trying to protect and the last three sessions have had them hunting down an NPC in order to reunite them with their decaying bodies.

Now, none of this was planned at at the beginning of the campaign creation or the session or considered during play. Instead it was produce in reaction to the events, driven by players, during play.
[/sblock]

pemerton

Legend
I do not know how we can meaningfully analyze play without taking a critical look at what's actually happening between the very real people sitting around a very real table having an actual conversation. Part of that includes their motives. That also includes the unspoken cultural expectations that inform play. Is the player trying to get something in particular done, perhaps building some relationships with the locals they can use later? Are they trying to get the lay of the land? Are they just trying to make a statement about their character? Are they giving the GM an opportunity to share some of their world building? Are they biting a plot hook? Looking for general opportunities to exercise some protagonism? What sort of response are they expecting from the GM? This sort of stuff absolutely impacts play.
Unsurprisingly I agree with all of this.

My general approach to this sort of thing will depend on the game and how I am running it.
I tend to have a "default" approach - my own GMing habits and practices, formalised to some extent by the systems I'm running.

More coming up on how system affects my approach.

I do not generally make the same distinctions that pemerton does between mere color, framing, and action declaration.
Just for clarity (probably unnecessary): these aren't formal categories that I use at the table (subject to system considerations coming up [-]shortly[/-] below). They are analytic categories I use to help explain what I'm doing when posting, and occasionally they will inform my judgement calls as GM (but generally I am following intuitions, which have been developed over many years of using a roughly similar approach).

(And my sense of these as analytic categories has obviously been informed by other RPG writers, especially Luke Crane and Ron Edwards.)

For me, colour is stuff that is established in the fiction, but isn't actually at stake in, or contributing to, the crunch of play. In my games, setting maps generally have this status; so do a lot of setting details. On the other hand, by "framing" I am trying to get at those elements of the fictional situation that the GM is deliberately using to push the players - forcing some sort of decision - or perhaps through them a bone.

Eg in a session I GMed yesterday (following on from the OP), a PC was in prison. The PC can shapechange into a falcon, and - as I can tell even before he mentions it - the player is thinking that his PC will change shape and fly out through the bars. I explain that timber is cheaper than metal, and that the door is a heavy timber one. That the door is timber is colour (part of establishing verisimilitudinous fiction, immersion in the setting, etc); that the door has no opening a falcon might fly through, though is framing. As a GM I'm developing the consequences of the failed checks around dealing with the watch, and pushing the player harder if he wants his PC to escape.

The player declared a Circles check - it seemed possible that his clerical acquaintance, who sees it as her holy mission to heal the sick, might do the rounds of the watch house - but the check failed. So no clerical friend came buy, and instead the magistrate decided that the PC can rot in their for some indeterminate amount of time. The fact that it is the magistrate who decides this is, at this point, colour - it's just establishing a fictional element to make sense (in the fiction) of the consequence of the failed check, which is that no friend is coming, and no one else is going to open the door any time soon (so the PC can't easily sneak out invisibly). The magistrate's reasons were that this PC is a known troublemaker, a member of the sorcerous cabal who was banished from the city by the cabal's leader (ie the mage who owns the tower) over a year ago (this was the first session of play, following another failed Circles check), but seems to have made his way back into the city and caused more trouble! This is partly colour - it's reinforcing established elements of the fiction, and keeping a key NPC (the leader of the cabal,who is betrothed to marry the Gynarch of Hardby) at the forefront of everyone's minds - but also sowing the seeds of future framing, involving perhaps that NPC or the magistrate or the government of Hardby more generally (which includes the Gynarch, an important NPC who so far has always been completely off-screen - so to date she's just colour, but almost certainly framing-in-waiting).

Another example: when the PC (and player) learns that the magistrate is leaving him there to rot, I mention that bread is being passed into the cell every couple of days. (I hadn't mentioned a hatch, but the player didn't query this so I think we're both roughly on the same page in what we're imaging here.) Now in the cell with him is the assassin of the brother, consciousness regained. Given that the PC has a Belief about the assassin helping him summon his brother's dead spirit, her presence in the cell is not just colour but framing. An interaction ensues - it looked like it might be a social conflict over a bargain, but it went in a different direction: she said that she would help him only if he told here where he had hidden Thelon's Orb, a cursed elven gem that enhances both the management of estates and the summoning of demons, which she had found among the wedding gifts (to be explained in the post below) but which the other PC had then taken from her and hidden in the altar of Hardby's cathedral. Because of the curse, it requires an extremely difficult will-based check to relinquish the Orb - so by having the assassin respond to the request for help in this way, I turned a bit of player-introduced colour ("I hide the orb in the altar") into framing. The player then devoted a LOT of player-side resources into the resulting will check to renounce the Orb, and succeeded, and so was able to sincerely make the promise the assassin wanted, in return for her promise to help with summoning. But the summoning requires drawing a circle; and they have nothing to draw with - and I made a point of having the assassin say that she would not try to work with a circle drawn in bread crumbs - they needed to escape and the PC then supply her with proper chalks and other pigments for drawing summoning circles. This turned the bread into a potential element of framing - the PC could have pushed for social conflict on this point - but the player (and therefore the PC) accepted the assassin's request and so instead they came up with a plan to escape, and he promised to find her proper equipment for drawing circles.

Unfortunately, the escape check failed and so, just as the assassin is trying to pick the lock with nothing but the buckles from her armour something bad happens (to be established and resolved next session).

Anyway, that's a somewhat lengthy series of examples to try and show how the distinction between colour and framing plays out in my GMing. In his account of "the standard narrativistic model" - which is basically scene-framing - Eero Tuovinen talks about the role of the GM being "to keep track of the backstory, frame scenes according to dramatic needs (that is, go where the action is) and provoke thematic moments . . . by introducing complications." I would say that my categories of "colour" and "framing" are ways of thinking about this. The backstory includes colour and past framing elements - but it is by changing stuff from mere colour to framing that complications are introduced that will provoke thematic moments.

As far as a game being player-driven or GM-driven - which relates also to my current discussion with [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] - what matters to me is the basis on which content is introduced as part of framing, or moves from being mere colour to framing. If that's all being determined by the GM more-or-less unilaterally I would see the game as GM-driven. If the GM is riffing off themes, concerns, and/or story elements that the players have brought into the game then I see the game as player-driven. In the examples above, the framing and hence the game is a player-driven one (eg No, the door isn't one you can fly through as a falcon; No, because you failed a check you're stuck in this prison indefinitely, and I'm making it true in the fiction that that is because of your past shenanigans involving NPCs and social dynamics that you've made central to our shared fiction; To get the help you want from the assassin, you have to relinquish the Orb that you chose to take from her and that you hid in the cathedral altar; You've accepted the assassin's insistence that she won't summon without proper circle-drawing equipment, and so you've made yourself hostage to her ability to pick the lock and get you both out of prison; etc).

As I said, a long example - but I hope for Campbell and for other participants in the thread it offers something concrete as an example of the sort of thing I'm trying to get at in the OP, and also in light of the way the thread has developed from that.

And to finish this post: the promised comment on system. Marvel Heroic/Cortex Plus has the notion of a distinction. All (or nearly all) characters have distinctions - features or attributes that can be strengths or flaws (a bit like Fate aspects) - and part of what is involved in building a dice pool is including a dice for the relevant distinction that informs the action being declared. (If the distinction is helping - eg when the berserker in my viking game is Touched by the Spirit of Battle while fighting goblins - it gives a big die in the pool; when it is hindering - eg when the berserker is so Angry! that he can't think straight - then it gives a small die but also a "plot point" (=, very roughly, a fate point). The player is the one who gets to choose helping vs hindering, based on his/her sense of what fits the fiction.)

There are also Scene Distinctions. These are established by the GM when framing a scene (normally three of them). Both GM and players can incorporate these, too, into their dice pools in various ways. In my session yesterday, at one point most of the PCs were deep in a dungeon surrounded by Darkness, and Webs; and The Dungeon Itself was Against Them.

These Scene Distinctions in a very real and mechanically significant way separate "framing" from mere colour. Here's an example.

While most of the PCs were dealing with the (web-creating) giant spiders, a fourth PC was in a different part of the dungeon on his own. He had earlier been run off by the berserker after refusing to treat the latter's wounds (at the table, this was the result of the players making a series of plays for XP - the healer player got XP for following his greedy instincts (to not heal for free) even though that placed a fellow party member at risk; and the berserker player then got XP for threatening an ally with violence - plus stuff on the GM side: after confirming that the threat of violence had genuinely been made I spent a GM-side resource to split the party, in the fiction describing this as the healer PC having been run off). That PC stumbled into a chamber with an Eeerie Phosphorescence, a Strange Mist, and a Charnell Smell. And I described various niches in the wall, about 2' wide by 1' high, and a body length or so deep.

The niches are part of the fiction, but - because not a Scene Distinction - they are mere colour. To actually leverage them, the player would have to succeed at a check to establish an asset (eg High Above the Floor, Having Climbed up the Niches; or, as in the session yesterday, a Realisation that the Niches are Full of Bodies Apt to be Necromantically Animated).

I've never run or played Fate, so I don't know quite how close this is to how Fate works. But as a feature of the system it's still something I'm getting used to. It gives the GM a different sort of influence over the situation from (eg) Burning Wheel or even 4e. It tends to make the game less about the struggles and concerns of the PCs, and more about what happens to the PCs in these dramatic environments they find themselves in. It's certainly less demanding on the players, I think, and less intense.

I'm going to do another post which responds to other aspects of [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION]'s post above, and also elaborates a bit more about "intense" RPGing.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I think all sorts of fiction can be interesting and if a player is showing interest in something I will try to follow their lead and see if we can get some of the other players involved. I generally leave that up to the players though.
I agree with this, but perhaps more than you might be inclined to I will try and connect that fiction to some sort of conflict or opportunity for action or decision. The dark naga came into my BW game because (i) one player wrote a new Belief for a (seer-type) PC that included, as an element, that she could feel a dark power rising in the land; and (ii) another player brought in a snake-handling PC with the belief that "sorcery is the venom of the fangless". So a dark naga seemed to make perfect sense, as a way of following these leads into a place that requires some sort of action or decision.

Generally speaking a GM who primarily frames scenes is going to be asking themselves questions like -

• Where's the conflict?
  • What's the intent?
  • What's at stake?
  • What's the possible fallout of the conflict?
  • What sort of conflicts can this lead to?

Generally speaking, a Master of Ceremonies (MC) is going to be asking themselves questions like -
  • Where's the interest?
  • What's the fiction like?
  • What can we find out about these characters?
  • What sort of opportunities and decisions does this present the players with?
  • What sort of fictions and decisions can those decisions lead to?

These subtle distinctions have powerful effects on play. Both are primarily concerned with keeping things in the fiction. Scene Framing or Conflict Resolution is biased towards higher stakes, action adventure, and keeping things tense in every moment of play. Player decisions are focused on immediate concerns almost exclusively. An MC is more interested in exploring things, teasing out the fiction, letting conflicts arise more organically through player decision making, following the players' characters around. There is more room for lateral decision making, altering strategies, gaining leverage, and the like.
This is interesting. I'm still assimilating it.

Part of the art of building and playing an effective BW PC is framing Beliefs that straddle the immediate and the long term. It's not easy to get this right; and while the GM is duty-bound to put those Beliefs to the test, there is no obligation to make it easy. And if the PC squibs, the GM is (I think) under an obligation to step up the pressure.

I remember one session quite a while ago now where the PCs were in the Keep on the Borderlands, and sharing the inn with them were some travellers from Urnst carrying wedding gifts to Hardby. One of the PCs - the assassin, who at that point was not an NPC, and whose player was sick of continual money troubles - had the Belief "I will steal the wedding gifts". And it was established, via a process of transmuting colour (the Urnst NPC arrived in a wagon) into framing, that the wedding gfits were in the wagon (which was always under guard). That "process" consisted in my narration as GM - when the PCs first approached the Keep from the hills of the Abor-Alz I mentioned the NPC party being visible on the plain below them (establishing colour), and then later on it became clear that the wedding gifts were in the wagon (I can't remember the details now, but - in the context of a PC with that Belief - that is a move from mere colour to framing a context for action declaration).

But the PC hemmed and hawed and passed up the initial chance to have a go at the wagon. (Something else was happening with another PC - I think the elven princess was confronting a death cultists described as a friendly priest - and the other players, in their "free roleplaying", decided it was too risky to tackle the wagon.) It was only later, when the party from Urnst was about to depart - taking their wagon with them - that the PC made the attempt! (Which is to say, I reframed the situation with higher stakes - act now or miss out on your chance to get the gifts! - and the player chose to have the PC act.)

I think there is overlap there with your MC list. There is definitely scope in scene-framing play to develop leverage, including via lateral decision-making (eg in our 4e game at one point the fighter PC took on a rescued dwarf NPC as a herald - this was not the resolution of any immediate conflict, but played into subsequent events in the game where the PC needed to engage effectively with the ruling clique of a city; in BW there are Resources and Circles tests, linked tests, and the like, all of which have significance - both mechanical and in the fiction - that unfold over time).

But from my side perhaps the biggest difference I see, when I try and related your lists to my own experience, is the idea of pressure. The BW GM is meant to pour pressure onto the players. Which means the fiction isn't just engaging to the PCs (and thereby the players), or offering interesting avenues for decision. The players should feel that the fiction is bearing down on them (and their PCs). This is where I would say the intensity of the play experience is located. (And it can be quite intense - not in a "You'll need therapy after this session" sense, but in the sense of your heart being in your mouth as stuff that matters to the PCs is happening, and there's no avoiding it - if you (the player) don't act (via action declarations for your PC), even against adverse odds, you'll lost what you were hoping for.) I don't know if that speaks to your sense of the differences?

pemerton

Legend
So it's GM-driven if the players/PCs can choose whether to follow the hooks or not and it's also GM-driven if the players/PCs have to follow the hooks with no choice?

Turn it around: instead of asking about inns let's say our hypothetical PC is in town looking to see if there's any adventuring needs doing, that her party can handle. She inquires with the local militia, maybe the MU's guild, one or two other places...and it would seem by your definitions that any answer the GM provides is going to make it a GM-driven game. This seems overly harsh, given as you seem to equate "GM-driven" with a lesser experience or poorer game.
Well, this thread is - or has become - at least in part about what we enjoy in our RPGing. I prefer a game that is player-driven.

Whether I would describe your scenario as GM-driven would depend on the details. (Not the in-fiction details. The play-at-the-table details.)

If looking around to see if there's any adventuring that needs doing is about gaining rumours or otherwise collecting information that will help with (say) raids on dungeons or similar outposts, that makes the game seem like a fairly classic sandbox. Which would potentially feed into the sort of "refereed" game that [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] have posted about.

In that case the player is declaring an action in looking for the inn, and is going to signal the intent to the GM: I head to an inn looking for rumours. Once the player has some info, s/he will tackle the dungeon(s) s/he thinks most amenable to being tackled.

But if looking around to see if there's any adventuring that needs doing is about looking for a GM-authored patron offering a GM-authored hook, connecting the PC into some GM-authored trajectory of backstory, then to me that does look like a GM-driven game.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION],

What is important to me in both my war gaming and Apocalypse World style play is that players choose not just whether to engage an opportunity, but also their level of commitment and means by which they pursue it. I want to be able to use that information for whatever ends I have in mind and whatever decisions I make need to be consequential. The fiction is what it is. We follow wherever it leads. If our group sends in allies to handle the problem while we pursue other ends I want the GM to really chew on it and approach it from the standpoint of a curious explorer of the fiction. If we want to exploit the goblin uprising to unseat local leadership the GM should follow our lead and the fiction where it lies. If we want to pursue an alliance with the goblins same thing. If some us support the town and others decide to work with the goblins we'll have a group discussion about it, settle on an approach that works, and then same thing. If we want to attempt to route the goblins towards another of our enemies in hopes they destroy each other same thing. We also reserve the right to pack up our things and abandon or change trajectory at anytime.

If where the fiction seems to be leading is uncomfortable or uninteresting to them we can talk that stuff out. Using their position to lead us down only the road or roads they want the game to go is not kosher to me. Any player is welcome to start the same sort of conversation.

This all depends on stuff like themes and premise of the game in question. We'll hash this stuff if we need to for everyone to get on the same page. Obviously our scoundrels in Blades in the Dark will not become upstanding citizens who commit no crimes, and our teenage superheroes will not turn to a life of crime. Unless we all decide to pursue those aims, but that would definitely involve hacking the game.

Last edited:

Remove ads