• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Waterskins (apparently every adventuring party in history died of thirst)

discosoc

First Post
Are you going on about the "you should drink 8 glasses of water a day" thing? Because that's a myth you know.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html

TL:DR the origin of the myth is a 1945 nutrition recommendation that stated that most people needed 2.5 litres of water a day... completely ignoring the following sentence from that recommendation, which stated that the majority of that would come from food (which contains a lot of water).

No, I'm going by the "people just need to drink more water than they do" school of thought. Exact numbers are meaningless because so much depends on things like activity level and ambient temperature. Not to mention the supposed water that people get out of foods assumes they are actually eating enough fruits and veggies when in fact they don't. Yeah, people aren't dehydrating themselves to death over it, but they are giving themselves migraines, causing more work for the kidneys, crippling the immune system, etc.. Not to mention the whole weight gain issue where people eat when they should probably drink because the stomach can't really tell the difference.

I'm pretty active and even have a hard time chasing that supposed 8 glass a day thing, but 6 is easy. I know people who do closer to 3, except for beer night.

Anyway, my main point was that adventuring is probably a pretty active profession. Even the wizard hanging back casting spells is probably in better shape than your average American, so it doesn't seem weird to me that they would actually need quite a bit of water.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The required amount of water in the PHB mirrors the US Army requirements, assuming very hard work in hot conditions. See Department of the Army Field Manual, Survival, No. 3-05.70: https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf

Some quotes below for those interested, but not interested enough to download a 676-page PDF. But before the quotes, here is how I handle water in my games.

1. GOLDEN RULE: This is a fantasy role-play game, not a prepper survival course. When it doesn't add to the fun, hand wave.

But if resource management makes sense, adds to the sense of challenge and tension, and is something the players enjoy, then ...

2. Stick to RAW PHB for the most part. Unless you really think arguing over medical requirements of fantasy races in various climates is a fun way to spend your time.

3. If you want more verisimilitude, use the PHB guideline for HARD work in HOT conditions. Halve it for cooler weather and moderate activity. Halve it again if you are riding in a covered cart in mild weather.

4. Mounts can allow you to carry a lot more water, but the mounts themselves need water. Average IDLE horse take 5 to 10 gallons per day. A horse on the trail needs 10-30 gallons a day. Hard working horses will obviously need much more. Much of horses water intake is metabolic and they can get a lot of their water needs met from fresh pasture. For wilderness horse camping in temperate areas, the recommendation for a day ride is to carry a watering can with 5 gallons of water for the horse.

5. Water is heavy. 5 gallons weighs 41.7 pounds. When hiking in the wilderness, it is important to plan your route so that you have access to water. You are not going to carry 5 gallons, except when using mounts. I've done a lot of wilderness hikes including stints with the Student Conservation Corps, living in the wilderness for weeks at a time. We would generally carry two 1 liter bottles, one on each side of our frame pack and we had a number of 5-gallon collapsible containers for use when we made camp.

6. Waterborne disease, like giardia, can be a real threat, and can give players another opportunity to benefit from having proficiency in survival.

If you've never spent much time making long treks in the wilderness, it can be easy to take water for granted. Working in survival skills and resource management into your game can be fun on occasion, especially if there is a chase or time limit or something else you are trying to overcome that adds to the thrill of the story. Most of the time, however, I handwave it.

What the US Army Survival Field Guide says about water requirements:

"The body requires a certain amount of water for a certain level of activity at a certain temperature. For example, a person performing hard work in the sun at 43 degrees C (109 F) requires 19 liters (5 gallons) of water daily."

Page 13-9 has a chart showing Daily Water Requirements for Three Levels of Activity: A. Hard Work in Sun, B. Moderate Work in Sun, and C. Rest in Shade.

"For example, if one is doing 8 hours of hard work in the sun . . . when the average temperature for the day is 50 degree C . . ., one's water requirement for the day will be approximately 25 liters."

Looking at the chart, if you are resting in the shade when the temp is an average of 15 degrees C (59 F), you need only 2-3 liters (.5 to .8 gallons)

It recommends that to avoid "voluntary dehydration" that at temps below 38 degrees C (100 F) drink 0.5 liter every hour. Above that, drink 1 liter every hour.

jasper

Rotten DM
It seems like a lot of water for a day...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app
...How much water would give to town’s people besiege? A person needs one liter of water a day to replace water loss by normal activities but needs 2.5 quarts to maintain health but this includes water contain in food.(American Water Works Association 25 facts about water). It was hard to find an exact minimum of water usage per day which did not include modern appliances. I am going to go with one gallon to include bathing, cooking, or activities........
This from an article I create about the 3E version of decanter of endless water.

....5. Water is heavy. 5 gallons weighs 41.7 pounds....... And the Steel water jug is another 3 pds. And I HATE BASIC DRILL SERGANTS. Of course it was fun seeing two guys of different height and weights, dog trotting with the water can.
Now think of your 6 foot 6 barbarian and your gnome tinker running down a 10 foot corridor with the party's last can of water while being chase by a rust monster.
Thanks for army manual linky thing

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
...6. Waterborne disease, like giardia, can be a real threat, and can give players another opportunity to benefit from having proficiency in survival...
Gasp Gasp Gasp WE killed the Giant frog, two water weirds, three saughin, four water trolls. But DAMN those 5 Giardia TPK us.
Blockhead is KILLER DM. I not going down due to 1/4 CR monster!

CydKnight

Explorer
I can see this being an issue only in certain settings. Namely an arid, desert setting but perhaps more normal settings where the main water supply has been tainted in a way that makes it undrinkable. It can also be solved with certain spells or magic items.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I always enforce the food and water rules because it helps with the engagement part of the game. I allows certain characters to use their survival skills. It actually makes the game a bit more realistic.

Mercule

Adventurer
You can go 3 + con bonus days (8) without food. Every day after that you gain a level of exhaustion so you would die on day 14.
You could probably justify a level of exhaustion every-other day, but I think that's getting a bit too in depth, unless your game is hard-core survival mode.

1. GOLDEN RULE: This is a fantasy role-play game, not a prepper survival course. When it doesn't add to the fun, hand wave.
All good info and recommendations, but this one is key. Unless you really care -- as a group -- hand waving is fine.

The only times I really delve into the amount of water the party is carrying is either when a) they're going through the desert, which I haven't done in decades, or b) when they decide to camp or otherwise spend a long time in a dungeon environment.

Option B is a great way to gently push them towards an different answer about "So, do you drink from this strange pool with a drider statue in the middle?"

Otherwise, the question really boils down to, "Do you have a Ranger (or Druid, but I like Rangers better) with you?" If so, we'll never speak of food or water again. If not, I'll only bring it up when the party is being slow/indecisive and boring me to the point where I'm looking for ways to cause problems -- never let your DM get bored.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
Hand waved away. This simply isn't the kind of bookkeeping my players enjoy, so I don't see a need to enforce it. Now, crossing a desert or if the local water supply has been tainted in some way... that's when it may come up as a temporary, but important part of the game. Otherwise it simply isn't fun for my players and we play to have fun.

Rations are somewhat similar or not somewhere between tracked and hand waved. Before setting out on a long journey the group will figure out how much they need, factoring in things like characters who can adequately forage for food, and determine how much they need to buy, but the the actual rations won't get tracked after that since the assumption is "We eat them as needed." Temporarily adding them to a sheet and then marking them off again shortly after doesn't add much to the game for us, so... we don't do it, again unless there's a special situation that makes it more meaningful than it would be otherwise.

To those who enjoy this sort of thing though, the more power to you, I'm sure for some groups it really adds to the immersion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads