• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't recall seeing the explanation but I assumed it was because the resurrected spirit has already left the body once and was stitches back using magic. But the soulmonger is pulling at those spirits and the magical binding is unraveling.
So, for the benefit of Dark_T_Zeratul:

If this indeed is the official explanation, is this in the actual book?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I like the simplified rules. I will kick that around in my head for a while. While I have not lived through tropical rainstorms you would think it makes everything tougher. The ground gets muddy, water gets into everything, fabrics get heavier, and food could get spoiled. While sitting at a campsite during a rain does sound refreshing. Hiking with gear seems like the opposite. But like I said... No direct experience in my part.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

True, that is a good point. I've not hiked in a tropical storm, just it's more a relief from the heat. I'll think on it.

Having spent 4 years in southeast Asia, I have hiked in a tropical storm. It sucks even just being in it, let alone hiking. One of the worst feelings is wearing rain gear in a rain storm while it's also 85 or 90 degrees at the same time because it traps the heat and mugginess under it, and you start sweating profusely even if you aren't really doing anything. Also, I loathe the feeling of getting out of a shower and feeling like you have to take another one because the heat and humidity are so bad (I'm from the PNW, so that combination is not something I'm used to. I'm sure the folks in the south well know this feeling).

Then again, one of my favorite experiences was my final test at Mountaineering school in Cheju Island during a monsoon in August. I was in full military gear, but no raincoat. The downpour didn't happen until after many of the tests and we started on our 2 mile climb up the mountain for a final 300ft Aussie rappel. I was lead, and I remember raising my arms up to the sky and shouting, "Is this all you got!" as the rain was drenching us. It was a weird feeling I can't really explain. Where something sucks so much, suddenly a switch flips and it's motivating and awesome.

But anyway, to answer your question, a downpour in the tropics is not a relief from the heat unless you're pretty much naked and not doing anything. If you're geared up, it sucks. A lot. Even with rain gear. Especially with rain gear.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
So, for the benefit of Dark_T_Zeratul:

If this indeed is the official explanation, is this in the actual book?
I haven't found anything on it yet but it's a big book with a lot to read and I'm only about 15% through it.

But anyway, to answer your question, a downpour in the tropics is not a relief from the heat unless you're pretty much naked and not doing anything. If you're geared up, it sucks. A lot. Even with rain gear. Especially with rain gear.
Fair enough. My experience was from hot muggy days and nights and having storms roll in and cool everything down. Plus the sudden rivers and waterfalls springing up to swim in. Not much trekking, and none if it anything but shorts.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Also, on topic, and from personal experience, jungle rot and falling apart clothes should be a thing, depending on how realistic you want it. If PCs don't regularly change socks every few hours, their feet will get trenchfoot and eventually literally rot. Google jungle rot, but be warned. It's gross. I've seen guys come back from a week of patrols where they didn't get to change their clothes, and their t-shirts and underwear were literally disintegrating. Mold and mildew is also a huge problem. You had to have plenty of baby powder or crotch rot (ranger rash) was horrible as well.

But again, it all depends on how realistic you want to make it, to really give the PCs the feel of just how horrible and oppressive the jungle can be. There's a reason why people living in tropical jungles don't wear much clothes ;)

Dark_T_Zeratul

Explorer
I don't recall seeing the explanation but I assumed it was because the resurrected spirit has already left the body once and was stitches back using magic. But the soulmonger is pulling at those spirits and the magical binding is unraveling.
I suppose that makes some amount of sense, at least as an alternative explanation if the book doesn't turn out to have one. I'd never previously considered people who had been raised to be fundamentally any different than people who had never died, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads