• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

I'm labeling hexes that the players are likely to go through and putting together a couple-of-sentence descriptor for each one (burned village with crucified zombies, basalt pillar with strange runes that fires witchbolts at all evil creatures that approach within 30', etc).

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I was using the 2e Chult book and adding heat stroke for those still wanting to wear heavy armor to drive the heat/humidity/dehydration home. The group seems to be really excited about being in Chult as it's a new environment we've never really used. Other than then1 player who knows the ToH tie in and possible trap filled death, he's playing it cool in character but I can tell he's worried :)!

Also, on topic, and from personal experience, jungle rot and falling apart clothes should be a thing, depending on how realistic you want it. If PCs don't regularly change socks every few hours, their feet will get trenchfoot and eventually literally rot. Google jungle rot, but be warned. It's gross. I've seen guys come back from a week of patrols where they didn't get to change their clothes, and their t-shirts and underwear were literally disintegrating. Mold and mildew is also a huge problem. You had to have plenty of baby powder or crotch rot (ranger rash) was horrible as well.

But again, it all depends on how realistic you want to make it, to really give the PCs the feel of just how horrible and oppressive the jungle can be. There's a reason why people living in tropical jungles don't wear much clothes ;)

In my experience, most of these concerns will be answered by the players with one word: "Prestidigitation."

Sacrosanct

Legend
In my experience, most of these concerns will be answered by the players with one word: "Prestidigitation."

Well, it can help clean items, sure. But it can't fix them. Better have mending along too. But then, how many PCs will want to spend two cantrips on those (even if in this case they are invaluable)? Guess we'll see. I've already seen 2 of the character sheets of the PCs I'm running this game in this Friday, and neither have taken those cantrips.

They'll learn I guess... ;)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I've been at the river here in STL when its hot with high humidity and I've had rifles in cases locked in trunks of cars get rust spots on the barrel over the course of the weekend. I can only imagine how quickly metal armor and weapons would rust in a jungle.

I would be interested to know what percentage of tables will just ignore that since its not fun and their parties will be trampling though the hot steamy jungle dressed for Northern England.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Well, it can help clean items, sure. But it can't fix them. Better have mending along too. But then, how many PCs will want to spend two cantrips on those (even if in this case they are invaluable)? Guess we'll see. I've already seen 2 of the character sheets of the PCs I'm running this game in this Friday, and neither have taken those cantrips.

They'll learn I guess... ;)
I'm not going to be telling the group I run through ToA that I'm running ToA. I'm going to simply tell them to make three characters. I'm giving a slight hint in the form of warning them that certain characters (but not which) will be at a disadvantage, but that it's up to them to mitigate or come up with solutions. The reason being is that I don't want them to be building characters specifically to nullify or take advantage of the environment or adventure.

I would be interested to know what percentage of tables will just ignore that since its not fun and their parties will be trampling though the hot steamy jungle dressed for Northern England.
See, I see this as part of the fun. That you're in this harsh but wondrous environment and have to find ways to survive it and its perils.

JesterOC

Explorer
My group knows I'm planning on starting this next. I will warn them off what to expect. I don't want anyone to feel hosed be character choice.
Huge differences in power are not that fun, on top of that players find ways to equilibrium fairly quickly. If their full plate fighter dies of heat stroke. His next character will be a barbarian. Why punish the player. Give them a heads up and let them make their choices rather then being miserable until they can fix it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using EN World mobile app

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Finally got through chapter 2 and wouldn't you know it? The rules for Dehydration are already in there. These are simplified from the Extreme Heat + Water Requirements rules from the DMG so I think I'll just use the ToA ones instead of mine or the DMG's.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Enhancing "Tomb of Annihilation"

This thread is for discussing and tossing around cool ideas to enhance Tomb of Annihilation.

Is there a section you're not sure how to handle?

What changes do you plan to make when you run it at your table?

If you've already played it, what interesting changes have you seen?

Got any links to good discussions on blogs or other websites?

Any suggestions for good DM's Guild supplements?

Post it all here!

Remove ads