How to identify a specific item (ring that summons stubborn Djinn)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

So the party found an item that summons a Djinn

(WARNING: Spoilers for Gates of Firestorm Peak)

This item summons a Djinn once a month. The party knows that, knows how to make it work (via identify)... but this isn't the ordinary servant Djinn. She perform one tasks, and one tasks only. If asked anything else, she leaves - or even attacks the summoner (just a swing of a sword, nothing fully determined).

How can the party find out what the task is? They can't ask the Djinn, because answering questions is not the task! And I don't think the identify spell would reveal the contract that binds the Djinn - it's great to letting you make the ring work but...

I don't think there is a "right" answer, but I would appreciate suggestions :)

Satyrn

First Post
Seeking out any of the history of the item or the djinn should result in this infosince it's the only info that's relevant to the game. So, a history book should have the info.

Or - and as I think about it just now, I like this solution - you could make the djinn into a minor figure in religion (the way Goliath exists as such) and thus knowing about the religion or having its bible would yield his info. A symbol of this religion, prominently displayed on the item, could prove to be a decent clue to the players to investigate this aspect.

Spell-wise, I would say the most directly effective means would be to use legend lore selecting either the ring or the djinn as the subject of the spell. The rest of the divination spells would be indirectly useful. Commune or contact other plane would mainly only be useful in narrowing where to search, while divination would only be useful in determining if a specific location were worthwhile. Scrying might be useful in identifying the original owner. Frankly, however, the actual divining type divination spells in 5e all seem to be specifically worded to be as useful as a left-handed screwdriver. The PCs could even try contact other plane to directly contact the djinn, or summon the djinn but trap it in a magic circle, but it doesn't sound like the PCs know enough to meaningfully communicate with it.

That means the best method of determining the history and origin of the ring is to quest for it. Look for experts in the field who might know about the ring or know how to meaningfully communicate with the djinn. It might involve travel to distant cities or remote monastic wizard academies. If that doesn't work, it might involve planar travel. You could certainly find an answer in the City of Brass, for example, though finding someone willing to give it to you might be difficult.

Remove ads