Momo is Still Not Real (But Memes Are)

D&D is no stranger to moral panics, and there's a new boogeyman taking the place of demons in the 80s: Momo, a fake picture of a fake sculpture about a fake trend.

Moral panics can arise from a popular trend that is unique to children and is foreign to some adults. Sociologist Stanley Cohen outlined the social theory of moral panic in his 1972 book titled Folk Devils and Moral Panics. It proceeds through five stages, beginning with a perceived threat to social norms; news media coverage; widespread public concern; authorities responding; and actions that result. This is precisely what happened with Dungeons & Dragons.
[h=3]Dungeons and...D'oh![/h]Joseph P. Laycock lays out what happened in the 80s with D&D in Dangerous Games: What the Moral Panic over Role-Playing Games Says about Play, Religion, and Imagined Worlds:

Anyone who was aware of fantasy role-playing games in the 1980s and 1990s was equally aware of claims that these games were socially, medically, and spiritually dangerous. A coalition of moral entrepreneurs that included evangelical ministers, psychologists, and law enforcement agents claimed that players ran a serious risk of mental illness as they gradually lost their ability to discern fantasy from reality. It was also claimed that role-playing games led players to commit violent crimes, including suicide and homicide, and to the practice of witchcraft and Satanism. In North America, the United Kingdom, and Australia, activists mobilized against these games. Several school districts and colleges banned gaming clubs and removed gaming books from their libraries. In the United States, activists petitioned federal agencies to require caution labels on gaming materials, warning that playing them could lead to insanity and death. Police held seminars on “occult crime” in which self-appointed experts discussed the connection between role-playing games and an alleged network of criminal Satanists. Dozens of accused criminals attempted the “D& D defense,” claiming that they were not responsible for their actions but were actually the victims of a mind-warping game.

There were several factors that led to D&D's moral panic, ranging from the disappearance of Dallas Egbert III while supposedly playing a LARP in the steam tunnels beneath Michigan State University )and the subsequent dramatic retelling in Mazes & Monsters) to a game called to task for straddling the line between adults and children. We discussed previously how D&D's target audience was slowly defined not by its creators (who were more interested in tabletop wargamers) but by market forces, with the Eric J. Holmes Basic set creating a curious dichotomy of younger players who eventually would graduate from Basic to Advanced...and their parents weren't happy with what they saw. Art & Arcana explains:

In no time flat, new allegations emerged, often driven by a casual perusal of the imagery: D&D was a clandestine recruitment vehicle for Satan worship and witch covens. TSR did little to calm these concerns when it unveiled another AD&D hardcover core book, the 1980 Deities & Demigods cyclopedia—a revision of the 1976 release Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes, but this time with all new artwork instead of the mostly public domain medieval header pieces and ornamental designs that had been used in the work previously. It contained a mix of sections nominally based on historical beliefs as well as pantheons of gods and godlings drawn from fantasy fiction.

Art & Arcana succinctly demonstrates what a "casual perusal" might look to a parent flipping through the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (above). All this added up to a moral panic in which the media breathlessly reported the threat of children being corrupted by the game, police offered warnings, and worried parents blocked access. If this sounds familiar, it's because it's happening again with a modern twist.
[h=3]You Again?[/h]We've already discussed Momo, a photo of a disturbing-looking sculpture that encourages children to commit suicide. She's back again, this time attracting hundreds of thousands of views on Facebook, dominating the news, and even showing up in supposed Peppa Pig videos on YouTube aimed at children. It wasn't real then, and the Guardian explains it's not real now:

Child safety campaigners say the story has spread due to legitimate concerns about online child safety, the sharing of unverified material on local Facebook groups, and official comments from British police forces and schools which are based on little hard evidence. While some concerned members of the public have rushed to share posts warning of the suicide risk, there are fears that they have exacerbated the situation by scaring children and spreading the images and the association with self-harm.

What changed to make Momo popular again?

Although the Momo challenge has been circulating on social media and among schoolchildren in various forms since last year, the recent coverage appears to have started with a single warning posted by a mother on a Facebook group for residents of Westhoughton, a small Lancashire town on the edge of Bolton. This post, based on an anecdote she had heard from her son at school, went viral before being picked up by her local newspaper and then covered by outlets from around the world.

This in turn propagated in the tabloids, led to celebrities chiming in (which created more headlines), and police and schools issuing formal warnings (which led to yet more headlines). YouTube says the claims are false:

After much review, we’ve seen no recent evidence of videos promoting the Momo Challenge on YouTube. Videos encouraging harmful and dangerous challenges are clearly against our policies, the Momo challenge included. Despite press reports of this challenge surfacing, we haven’t had any recent links flagged or shared with us from YouTube that violate our Community Guidelines.​

Snopes agrees. And yet Momo persists despite evidence to the contrary. It's entirely possible children are now being exposed to Momo not due to a pernicious Internet monster, but because the media has plastered her face everywhere. Like parents flipping through the Monster Manual or Deities & Demigods, all it takes is one picture of Momo next to a kid's video to propagate parental fears:

It’s important to note that we do allow creators to discuss, report, or educate people on the Momo challenge/character on YouTube. We’ve seen screenshots of videos and/or thumbnails with this character in them. To clarify, it is not against our policies to include the image of the Momo character on YouTube; that being said, this image is not allowed on the YouTube Kids app and we’re putting safeguards in place to exclude it from content on YouTube Kids.​

The rise of streaming video has its benefits, as D&D can attest. That's not to say that the threat of self-harm or of children being upset by pernicious Internet videos isn't a concern. But like anything else, parents should exercise judicious restraint over what their kids do by educating themselves before blocking YouTube...or throwing out their D&D books.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Celebrim

Legend
Well then, yes. I was drawing attention more to an implication...

I wasn't implying anything. If you'll follow my posts through the thread, you'll see that I have made formal statements and that further, I even anticipated this particular argument and addressed it before you offered.

Of course I believe that the beliefs and practices I have are generally superior to the beliefs and practices of other people. If I didn't, I'd adopt those beliefs and practices. And of course I am therefore concerned when people who may or who do share beliefs and practices with me, change and adopt different beliefs and practices that I disagree with because I believe that there is something wrong with that. I have never denied any of that.

And likewise, of course I recognize that other people hold beliefs and opinions because they are convinced of the correctness of them for reasons that seem good and valid to them.

What's particularly silly is that you seem to think you are an exception to this general rule. You offer some pabulum about how one cannot say that one belief or practice is better than another, yet in doing so you are at the same time saying that everyone that thinks that their belief or practice is superior is wrong, are themselves wrong and the one true system of thought is your own. This is incoherent at the formal level, illogical in application, and in practice I think we'll find that you don't have the conviction to act on that belief. There will surely be things that you hold as true that you think I ought to believe, and modes of behavior you think are correct which you think I ought to engage in.

Let's consider why the belief logically contradicts itself.

Which is a heck of a slippery slope, because someone from religion/dogma/practice Y could say exactly the same thing about religion/dogma/practice X and be precisely as justified as you are.

First of all, that's not a "slippery slope". A slippery slope is when it's easier to continue following a path than it is to reverse course. I won't offer examples because that would surely multiply the number of things we would be arguing about. A slippery slope fallacy is when you assert that a slippery slope exists, and therefore that some undesirable thing B will naturally follow from A without first proving the connection between the two. But your use of "slippery slope" isn't either of those things.

Of course the member of religion Y will say of my religion, that is incorrect and these are the valid reasons why I think so. But the existence of an argument does not prove the members of the argument are equally correct, or even that either are correct. It only means at most that the questions being addressed are difficult and reasonable people might disagree over the answers. What is unreasonable and irrational is to assume that since coming up with an answer is difficult, that all answers are equally valid and there is as you put it "nothing wrong with X". One of the most obvious ways that is wrong is that belief systems X and Y generally don't disagree over trivial matters, but have fundamental and opposite takes on the same questions. Without going into the details, because doing so will surely multiple disagreements, it cannot be possible that Satanists and Christians are both equally valid in their claims, since they make opposing claims. They may be both wrong, but on many things they will be wrong in the way that saying the Earth is a sphere is wrong. It's wrong, but it's not nearly as wrong as saying the Earth is flat. One claim will be vastly less valid than the other.

This is reality. You'll need to deal with that. If you can't deal with that, I'm afraid you're tolerance is going to be really weak, because tolerance doesn't require merely that we act in humility toward people who hold equally valid opinions as ourselves, but that we act in humility toward people even when they hold beliefs which we find really wrong and offensive. (And not unsurprisingly, whether we have any real obligation to be tolerant is one of those things that people disagree over.)

And again, I suspect if we dig it will turn out that you don't actually have the strength of conviction to believe what you've just said. For one thing, you are busy trying to correct my assertion of moral absolutism with the claim that your moral relativism... is absolutely correct.

Cosigned. With the Satanic Panic, the harm it caused is not an immaterial thing. In the McMartin Preschool case, innocent people served real jail time. As a result of fear-mongering and hysteria.

I have neither sympathy nor empathy for those who promote or support these "moral panics", whether over D&D, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, or anything else. To do otherwise implies a degree of validation of those views which I categorically refuse to accept.

Koloth

First Post
Momo, Tide Pods, Jackass movie stunts, Mentos-Diet Coke, chain emails, chain letters, etc. Long line of stuff encouraging/threatening folks to do stupid stuff.

And I don't see how Momo is any more scary then the Tasmanian Devil that Bugs Bunny had to deal with. The Tasmanian Devil was watched by millions of kids that are now parents, grand-parents, great grand-parents, etc. He didn't seem to keep them from having normal lives.

As with almost anything, there will be a few outliers that will have an abnormal reaction.

Of course I believe that the beliefs and practices I have are generally superior to the beliefs and practices of other people. If I didn't, I'd adopt those beliefs and practices.

Yikes. Hopefully one day you can learn that different does not equal inferior.

What's particularly silly is that you seem to think you are an exception to this general rule. You offer some pabulum about how one cannot say that one belief or practice is better than another, yet in doing so you are at the same time saying that everyone that thinks that their belief or practice is superior is wrong, are themselves wrong and the one true system of thought is your own. This is incoherent at the formal level, illogical in application, and in practice I think we'll find that you don't have the conviction to act on that belief. There will surely be things that you hold as true that you think I ought to believe, and modes of behavior you think are correct which you think I ought to engage in.

Well, no, not really. This is a bit of a tired argument I've heard before, usually from bigots; essentially "if you're intolerant of my bigotry, you're just as intolerant as I am, hence you have no moral authority to complain about my bigotry". It's a pretty feeble argument, though. Intolerance of intolerance is a far cry from intolerance of someone's religion.

Celebrim

Legend
Well, no, not really. This is a bit of a tired argument I've heard before, usually from bigots; essentially "if you're intolerant of my bigotry, you're just as intolerant as I am, hence you have no moral authority to complain about my bigotry". It's a pretty feeble argument, though. Intolerance of intolerance is a far cry from intolerance of someone's religion.

All I just heard was, "Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a bigot, and hence I'm not required to be tolerant of them." However, as I just indicated, I'll tolerate your bigotry.

All I just heard was, "Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a bigot, and hence I'm not required to be tolerant of them." However, as I just indicated, I'll tolerate your bigotry.

Cool. As long as you're willing to replace what someone wrote with a quotation of your own invention, you'll never have to worry about what they actually said.

Celebrim

Legend
Cool. As long as you're willing to replace what someone wrote with a quotation of your own invention, you'll never have to worry about what they actually said.

Oh, I'm aware of what was actually said. But since it wasn't a response to what I said and since you continue to refuse to even address the challenges I make to your claims, and since I've also heard your ad hominem response before trotted out in equally inapplicable occasions, I'm willing to risk assuming I know where it goes in practice.... since it's pretty much already gone there.

Celebrim

Legend
*sigh*

For those that don't get the above exchange, let me point out that for the claim, "Intolerance of intolerance is a far cry from intolerance of someone's religion.", in point of fact I'm actually the only one in the conversation that has suggested a moral obligation to be tolerant of "someone's religion" and a path to effectively practicing that.

Why am I being called a bigot in this? Keep in mind, I've suggested an obligation to tolerance of even opposing offensive viewpoints, an obligation that extends to even when those opposing viewpoints are insulting. Only I have openly said that I have to try to be patient with and not hostile to things I actually disagree with. So I'm being called the bigot in this exchange even thought I'm actually calling for the broader and higher standard of tolerance than the person I'm arguing with. (Indeed, it's also been asserted in this thread, I've uncareful with the truth by selectively quoting words where I was being careful with the truth, so we are par for the course.)

Why does pauldanieljohnson think he's less the bigot here? Because I've made the common sense assertion that I actually believe the things I say I believe on the basis that I think that they are right and correct, and that in this I'm no different than pretty much everyone I've ever met. He asserts that this is 'intolerant' and 'bigoted', and thus he's free not to tolerate my position. But in point of fact, in asserting this, he's just freed himself up to have no obligations of tolerance toward pretty much the entire human race, on the grounds he will always be able to assert that they are the bigots.

Religion is a perfect case in point of exactly what he has allowed himself to not tolerate. All religions assert that they have some fundamental truth regarding the big questions of 'life, the universe, and everything', and the followers of those religions follow them precisely because they believe those answers are correct and more correct than the alternatives. Christians, Moslems, Jews, Pagans, Satanists, Buddists, Hindus and every other thing you can name all believe this. They all assert that superiority of their answers to the others, even when and especially when they contradict each other on these big questions. I asserted in several places, that my beliefs dictate that I still maintain tolerance in the face of these disagreements, but pauldanieljohnson has reserved right for himself in the name of being intolerant of the intolerant, to label all these groups are bigots for thinking themselves right, and so removed his obligation to actually tolerate religion in practice.

And, this isn't just limited to religion. An atheist will surely say, "God does not exist. I believe there is sufficient proof in the world to establish the truth that God does not exist. This belief is inherently superior and grounded in more evidence than past superstitions. My belief is correct." If he does not make these assertions, then on what grounds does he call himself an atheist? And if pauldanieljohnson is not a hypocrite, he would say, "How can you assert the superiority of your beliefs like that? You are a bigot and therefore I'm not required to tolerate you!" Whereas I will simply assert, "Well, though I can see why you might think that, I believe you are wrong, and I can't agree with you, in the mean time I will treat you as I would want to be treated myself were I you, I hope we can continue vigorous and respectful debate over these things, and I will extend according to my beliefs empathy and sympathy toward you."

Indeed, following the line of logic above, for any set of beliefs that differ from his own he can quickly label anyone who disagrees with his claim that no viewpoint is superior (except incidentally his own) a bigot, and there after free himself mentally from any obligation to tolerance.

Indeed, he has already done so in this thread.

So, again, of the two of us, only I am asserting the difficult obligation to tolerant of people with different beliefs than my own. Imperfect though I may fulfill that duty, at least I'll try to carry it. Someone who goes around yelling, "Bigot!": he shrugged of that duty already.

Last little bit. I can certainly agree that 'different' does not equal inferior, but that little red herring gets us no where if we try to follow it. The assertion depends on us agreeing to what is subjective, but beyond things like, "What is your favorite color?" and as soon as we hit something even as controversial as "Does pineapple belong on pizza?" (joking), we are likely to have differences of opinion over what is subjective and what is not. Different communities have differences of opinion over what is subjective (what my faith often calls the adiaphora) and what is obligatory.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Oh boy, where to begin. I guess we'll go FILO, in honor of Wizards of the Coast.

Moral relativism is incompatible with moral absolutism, sure; but that doesn't make the reverse true. It all depends on how one approaches "truth" (or "truths") as a universal concept. A moral absolutist definitionally believes in a singular capital-T "Truth", and thus must view moral relativism as false. Moral relativism is a bit broader in its approach. I think there is a misconception that moral relativism is the belief that there is no such thing as truth, which I would argue is actually another shade of moral absolutism. Rather, a more accurate description would be that moral relativists accept that there are multiple truths that can depend heavily on context. Hence, the assertion that the tolerance of morally absolute belief systems immediately and logically invalidates moral relativism falls flat on its face. Your truth can be true for you and someone else's, very different (even incompatible!) truth can be true for them, because what matters are the traits, positive and negative, which flow from those beliefs. That this is logically and philosophically consistent can be hard to comprehend to a moral absolutist (who again, definitionally must reject moral relativism) but it does not make their belief in its own inherent invalidity any more correct.

There is also the misconception that a moral relativist must view all beliefs as equally valid and correct. This is far, far from the truth, and not just because of Popper's Paradox (though largely it is because of Popper's Paradox). While it is the viewpoint that no singular moral belief can be proven superior to one another, it is still possible (and I would argue necessary) to judge certain moral beliefs superior or inferior (notably intolerance) and acting in accordance. I would argue, by the way, that this how our culture (at least in the United States) actually operates. There is no singular moral act, no matter how seemingly objectively morally repugnant when considered in a vacuum, that is not, in certain contexts, seen as justifiable and/or acceptable by a significant enough portion of our population to merit reconsideration of its supposed objective moral truth. Nearly all of them are in fact state-supported, at least again within certain contexts.

Moving on, as a parent I try to muster as much empathy for other parents who are faced with seemingly difficult choices, especially when they are constantly bombarded with misinformation and misguided absolutism. A few years back when I was trying to research whether I should sleep train my child, I learned that I would be engaging in literal child abuse if I tried to sleep train them, and also that it was demonstrably abusive to not sleep train them. It's ridiculous. While internet one-true-wayism wasn't a thing back in the 80's moral (and often overtly Christian) panics were, and so I can't blame somebody for getting swept up in that, especially not somebody who suffered the loss of the child. That would break me. Especially if the child died by suicide; which we knew even less about in the 80's than we do today (but with still a great number of people who insist they have all the real answers).

No, who I save my ire for are those who prey on scared and/or emotionally traumatized parents, either for political or economic gain (or more often than not both). Pat Pulling gets a pass in my book; someone whose life is shattered into pieces like that has to find someway to give themselves meaning again, and if her little club was what gave her meaning, then I'm okay with that. What I don't doubt, though I'd love to see documentation one way or the other about, is how BADD gained steam, because one woman wasn't creating a national movement on her own. There were undoubtedly people behind the scenes who backing her, supporting her, steering her in directions for their own benefits, just like all the Satanic Panics that came before and after. I'm not going to argue that everyone involved was disingenuous in their beliefs; far from it. I'm not even necessarily going to argue that the folks most responsible (and I don't believe Pulling is included in that; if it hadn't been her and her son's death that launched the movement it was going to be somebody else) were entirely disingenuous in their beliefs at all. But I do believe such people were quick to capitalize on peoples' personal tragedies to further their own ends, ends which helped to further persecute those were already being othered and oppressed. That is what bothers me.

I can't say much about the Momo thing, though. I've seen a few references here or there but I've mostly just ignored it; my child is still much too young for social media. As with other such hoaxes as the knockout game "trend", if you're going to pay any attention to it then it's valuable to understand:
1) Who's pushing the narrative?
2) Who benefits?
3) Who's being targeted?
The "Tide Pod" thing was another narrative that was mostly meant to depict young people as idiot sheep, despite the fact that even during the height of the "epidemic" (only 50-some cases in a single year, which represented only a slight up-tick from the previous year, before the "Tide Pod Challenge" even became a thing) young people were far from the most common age demographic (their numbers were dwarfed by the number of the elderly who ingested Tide pods).

Why am I being called a bigot in this?

You aren't. I made a reference to hearing similar arguments to yours originating from people I consider to be bigots, but I never said you were a bigot. You did explicitly state that you feel your beliefs to be superior to others', which smacks of bigotry, but for the record I've never called you a bigot. You seem to be really enjoying this pretend martyrdom of yours, though, so I'll leave you to it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases