D&D 5E Mike Mearls interview - states that they may be getting off of the 2 AP/year train.

Oofta

Legend
Okay, just to make it clear: "evil corporate overlords" is just irony/jest on my part. They are 'probably' not evil, they're just a big company, with different goals and expectations than a smaller, ttrpg specialized one and that comes with certain implications, which results in a not-ideal situation for a fair number of fans. That's it.

Take out everything from what's been said and I will agree that

any
will make decisions that
results in a not-ideal situation for a fair number of fans

Because there is no way any company can implement a business plan that pleases all fans while allowing them to stay in business.

Geeknamese

Explorer
I still want to know what you mean by work (long term) because 2e lasted long term and 3e/4e book a month lasted long term and yet somehow a book every 6 months, which for the record has not lasted long term, is now the new success story.

It would be interesting to know how much the DMs Guild nets for WotC. I have seen a few authors giving figures for their sales and it does not seem to be much but who knows maybe it all adds up to a significant number.

I can't imagine how anyone can question the success of 5e right now. The greatest measure of success for 5e and the D&D brand is how much visibility they have brought to the hobby, how accessible they have made it for the general public, how they have somehow made the hobby cool to the point where everyone is playing D&D now and it's becoming bigger and bigger in media. They're not just impacting sales metrics, they've impacted culture. If that's doesn't clue someone in to how successful they are, I don't know what will.

Lastly, in my point of view, I believe D&D players have the best of both worlds right now. They have the visibility, money and branding power of a corporation while having the small TTRPG culture of a small, efficient team of developers who listen to their customers, who truly love the game and are the ideal stewards to protect the integrity and longevity of the game. Mike Mearls and team are babying the game like a small TTRPG would do.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

The problem with you argument, and all the other ones like it, is the fact that they are all the same. You basically argue that any release schedule that isn't the 5th edition one is automatically the one they would use for previous editions. If you actually compared the current one to the earlier ones you have a lot of room for a happy medium, unfortunately the current one just doesn't hit it for a lot of people.
You say that again and again. And again. But you've yet to ever say how many books this mythical "happy medium" actually is.

Because the current schedule IS a happy medium for many. Three books a year, two of which just providing encounters and monsters and not bloating the game. The third offering options and lore.
That's pretty good compared to just one book a year. Or one book every two years. Or no books at all.

Unfortunately, DMsGuild has a lot of crap you have to sift through and loads of DM's plus sanctioned games do not allow DMsGuild stuff so what then?
Talk to your DM until they let you use the content.
Find an author or publisher you respect and use just their work. Branch out when needed.
Revise the content with your DM until it is acceptable.

Or all else fails, make it yourself. And then sell that on the DMsGuild for $$.

What you could easily do is when you do a race specific book, have about four or five races listed in the book so you cover more people with in one book, same could be said for classes. You could do a martial handbook, a rogue handbook, and a spellcaster handbook.
And how big would these books be?
WotC is currently publishing hardcovers only. The smallest they could do that is probably around 96-pages.

If you do a book with 5 races, that's almost 20 pages per race! And if you do one on "martials", even if you include the ranger and barbarian that's around 32-pages per class. That's a ridiculous amount of content when a subclass takes 1/2 to 3/4 of a page. Can you think of 30 different fighter subclasses?

Plus, even if they double their splatbook release schedule, that's still two or three years to cover all the classes. Who wants to wait three full years for their class to be covered?

And then what? When you have 30 subclasses for each class you have enough content forever. That's more content than any gaming group will every use. The edition is done. Nothing else needs to be published.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Sales figures with the D&D 5e team running so lean and mean, means efficiency. The metrics of staff employed and products produced could also be seen as, IMO just like the Pathfinder Game, bloat and inefficiency.

I dont know if I would agree with that. For a start WotC are only producing 2 real books a year plus another contracted out of house so I dont see a lot of lean and mean there. But the real problematic warning sign for me was when Chris Perkins had to work on his adventure on his annual leave! Now I am sure that Chris loves his work and would have been doing his own regular DnD work on his holidays and on the other hand the corporate time suck at work must be simply horrendous.

That is not lean and mean, it is just mean!

The only thing that I have to say re: bloat is, I would rather see 20 different classes then see constant revision of different types of rangers. But gotta solve that Ranger problem. o_O

darjr

I crit!
[MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION];

I've just come back from a regional convention. We had 12 tables running the epic, and one in the middle of a con long haul through TYoP book. Tables were packed full. Several tables had new people to the game. The noise of victory and defeat deafened the huge convention hall the event was in, full of board gamers and wargamers as well.

It was amazing and each of the new folks had recruited some new folks by Sunday.

WotC keep on keeping on.

And thank you!

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I can't imagine how anyone can question the success of 5e right now. The greatest measure of success for 5e and the D&D brand is how much visibility they have brought to the hobby, how accessible they have made it for the general public, how they have somehow made the hobby cool to the point where everyone is playing D&D now and it's becoming bigger and bigger in media. They're not just impacting sales metrics, they've impacted culture. If that's doesn't clue someone in to how successful they are, I don't know what will.

Not sure why you quoted me in particular here as this does not answer any question that I was asking.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Basically as long as people steal books electronically hardcopy sales will be in decline. Which is sad because I really love hardback RPG books and really hate electronic formats.

You shouldn't feel sad though, because there are hardback RPG books that are selling really well. The 5e PHB sold more copies than previous (3.0, 3.5, 4e) PHBs quite awhile ago.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
It's what I am looking for, so I imagine it's what "some" people are looking for.

I don't want a whole adventure path. I would prefer shorter modules, where I can place them within my own larger campaign anywhere I want. If you can give me 5 or 7 of them in one hardcover book, I'm all for it. I would prefer them being sold individually, but I don't hate one book with several.

I like the shorter modules as well and they can be bound together as you say. What I dont like is getting converted adventures, I want to play new adventures. I believe that i can even agree with a happy medium between old and new.

Geeknamese

Explorer
Not sure why you quoted me in particular here as this does not answer any question that I was asking.

I still want to know what you mean by work (long term) because 2e lasted long term and 3e/4e book a month lasted long term and yet somehow a book every 6 months, which for the record has not lasted long term, is now the new success story.

That was actually the quote I was referring to other people made similar comments.

Remove ads