Psychic career exploits costs and adding targets for Star Knight's Psychic Push?

Is there no Power Point cost for using psionic career psychic exploits?

Do Battlepsyches (pg. 35) not have to pay for Electrokinetic Blast if they use their career exploit rather than buying the universal exploit version?

Say I am playing a Star Knight and want to push a few Battle Mechs out of the way, like Obi-Wan pushes Battle Droids. I want to use the Psychic Push (pg. 47) exploit but it specifies a single creature and that it can only be used once per round (like other exploits). How can I add targets?

Also, how many psionic Power Points would Psychic Push cost? There is not a number listed in the Star Knight career and it isn't part of the Telekinesis universal exploit table (pg. 64). Does this mean there is no PP cost? Or would it cost 5PP since the prerequisite Telekinesis costs 5 PP on the universal table?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The career exploits aren't identical to the universal psionic exploits. They're simple useable abilities. They don't use psionic power points. It's literally just what it says in the exploit.

Thanks, that is good to know.

If I wanted to allow modifying psychic powers like the Magic system, do you have any thoughts on cost since characters have more PP per Psi Attribute than MP per Magic Attribute? Maybe 3x the MP modifier cost to a spell to change a Psionic Power would be simple to do on the fly.

If I wanted to allow modifying psychic powers like the Magic system, do you have any thoughts on cost since characters have more PP per Psi Attribute than MP per Magic Attribute? Maybe 3x the MP modifier cost to a spell to change a Psionic Power would be simple to do on the fly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

You mean to power magic spells from OLD with psionic points from NEW? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

easl

Explorer

It's worth remembering that, unless the exploit says otherwise, a psionic exploit costs power points to use equal to (at least) the PSI value required to purchase it. Thus some exploit that says "requires PSI 10" costs 10 PP to use.

No thoughts on a 'system' approach for adding new psionic powers, but for the specific effect you want (pushing a bunch of people away at once), several psionic abilities seem to provide some reasonable guidance on how to fashion it. Pyrokinetic Burst affects everyone within a 5' range of the target and could easily serve as a template for a concussive/push power instead of a damage power (maybe instead of 1d6 damage per 2 PP, the push power gives you 1d6 effective strength per 2 PP or something like that). And psychokinesis doesn't have a 'one target only' limit, it just says you can do regular actions with it. If a big person might reasonably push a lot of people away with a single action (consider the exploit Whirlwind Frenzy), then I see no reason why a 'big psychic' couldn't do the same. All things considered, I'd probably go with something like this:
Psychokinetic push (requires PSI 12, Psychokinesis). Your telekinetic control can now act on every target around you, albeit with only a simple brute force. Make a single attack using your PSI at a cost of 2d6. Every person within 1' per PP whose DEFENSE is exceeded by your attack is knocked down.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Make a single attack using your PSI at a cost of 2d6. Every person within 1' per PP whose DEFENSE is exceeded by your attack is knocked down.

Things brings up a quick question as I am still digesting the system.

Does the 2d6 cost get deducted before or after your pool limit is applied?

For instance if you have enough dice to have a 6d pool but have a 5d cap, would the final pool after a 2d cost be... ?
a) 4d (6d-2d)
b) 3d (5d cap - 2d)

Khaalis

Adventurer
Ok, so I found a reference to this on p137 (OLD). It appears that the answer would be "(B) 3d" because as I read it, all modifiers are applied AFTER forming the dice pool which is limited to the MDP (max die pool).

Is that correct?

Remove ads