Pathfinder 1E Odyssey System - "Pathfindering" d20 Modern

GMSkarka

Explorer
What sort of saves do you foresee being tied to abilities like Strength and Intelligence, or are you going to follow the 4e model for allowing different attributes to affect a single save? If you aren't going this route, I'd be curious to hear what steps is the Odyssey system taking to balance the value of all the different saves, or how do you determine what save is appropriate for an ability to target?

"Saves" are perhaps the wrong word, since they're all "Checks" now -- against opposed rolls, etc.

You could roll a WIS check to resist the effects of mind-control; a DEX check could be used against an area attack; an INT check could be used in opposition to being given false information, etc.

Jackelope King

First Post
"Saves" are perhaps the wrong word, since they're all "Checks" now -- against opposed rolls, etc.

You could roll a WIS check to resist the effects of mind-control; a DEX check could be used against an area attack; an INT check could be used in opposition to being given false information, etc.
Thank you for the reply, GMSkarka. I've been interested in this sort of approach for awhile, but I keep worrying about "spreading the love", so to speak, so that all of the ability scores are "equally targeted". The d20 three-save system is actually pretty good about this, where all three saves are more or less equally valuable. If it affects the mind, it hits Will; if it hits the body, then it's Fortitude; and if you can react quickly to dodge it, then it's Reflex. All pretty cut-and-dry. I'm interested to see how the Odyssey system handles this.

GMSkarka

Explorer
El-Resurrecto!

Yeah, this is back.

We had backed off this project, when I began to have my doubts about the viability of yet another d20-based system in a post-4e market.

Things with 4e don't appear to have turned out the way I (or many others) were expecting, so now I'm reconsidering.

So, what do you think -- worth reviving?

Razuur

First Post
I think you should boldly go forward and see how your Alpha does.

Every month I check into Adamant and RPGnow to find out where this is at.

Plus I notice you are diversifying into FATE and Savage Worlds - two systems that I nor anyone I know play.

I say define your niche! Which is easy for me to do as it is not my money/business. But that is why I think you should start with the Alpha, even with no art and imperfect. Just get it out there and see what happens. Maybe it will take off, and then you can start polishing.

And if it doesn't you have not invested too much.

My 2 cents.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I dunno, I would like to see some consolidation in the D20 market, or at the very least, some unification around two or three tightly similar off-shoots.

Would it be more or less like herding cats to get D20-centric publishers to work together towards something like this? ;)

Inferno!

Explorer
I'm thrilled that you are branching out into Savage Worlds. I like Pinnacle's support products, but Shane and Company just don't crank out the books fast enough (for reasons he recently explained at their website). But, I'm a selfish gamer. I want more and I want it now! :D So, its nice to see good companies as licensees cranking out product.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
El-Resurrecto!

Yeah, this is back.

We had backed off this project, when I began to have my doubts about the viability of yet another d20-based system in a post-4e market.

Things with 4e don't appear to have turned out the way I (or many others) were expecting, so now I'm reconsidering.

I think this would place you into some competition with Modern20, but if you can build the better modern game system, go for it. I'll check it out.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon

HELL YES!

Let me just say that I'm behind this 100%. I loved D20 Modern, but my house rules started to rewrite the syatem. Thats bad if you don't intend to publish or get a lot of use out of it.

The core rules will never be for sale -- they will always be freely available, via the OGL. We will encourage fans and publishers to develop genre-specific additions to that core. Our first commercial version of the Odyssey System will be the Thrilling Tales 2nd Edition pulp rulebook, coming this Christmas.

I fully hope that Odyssey will be available in print; even if it is through an on demand system like Lulu.

Remove ads