Worlds of Design: Fantasy vs. Sci-Fi Part 1

This is a broader question than just RPGs but the same arguments apply. It’s important for RPG designers, for consistency and to avoid immersion-breaking, but it’s probably not important to players.
After making some notes to try to answer this question for myself, I googled it, and I also asked for suggestions on Twitter.

It’s the kind of situation where most people will agree in most cases whether something is fantasy or science fiction, but there’s an awful lot of room to disagree or to bring in additional terms like “science fantasy”.

One googled source said, "Science fiction deals with scenarios and technology that are possible or may be possible based on science". That's an obvious differentiation, yet it doesn't actually work well. As Arthur C. Clarke said, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." For example, most people would call Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius (The End of Time) stories fantasies, yet they are supposed to be using highly advanced scientific tools.

“Science fiction is any idea that occurs in the head and doesn't exist yet, but soon will, and will change everything for everybody, and nothing will ever be the same again.” Ray Bradbury​
Perhaps the difference is that science can be explained and follows laws, and magic does not. Yet we have examples of magic systems that are well explained (on the surface at least), for example, the metals system in Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn novels.

A lot of the "obvious" differences are semantic, that is, it just depends on what you call something. Are psionics scientific or are they magic? Is a wizard a scientist or a spellcaster? Is a light saber science or magic? Science is usually associated with mass production, magic with individuals and individual use, and nobody but Jedi and a few bad guys use light sabers. Another source: "Many would argue that Anne McCaffrey’s Pern series is science fiction despite the existence of dragons while others say the Star Wars films are clearly fantasy despite the space setting."

In the end, saying it's a difference between science and non-science, or between technology and magic, can fall afoul of semantics all too often.

Do we have to say that science fiction uses technology that we can extrapolate from today? No super advanced stuff? But then what about faster than light travel? Current science says it's not possible: does that mean any science fiction with faster than light travel is a fantasy?

A different way to pose science and magic is to say natural versus supernatural. Some people do not accept the supernatural as an explanation for anything, which leaves no room for gods or prophecies. But when we get to advanced technology versus magic, Clarke's dictum applies. Sufficiently-advanced aliens may look entirely supernatural, even godlike.

We can't really talk about the presence of magic versus scientific technology because it's often impossible to tell which is which.

Saying "Low-tech" is not enough to identify fantasy. There are fantasies where magic is used to achieve a higher level of "technology," in terms of devices to help humans flourish, than we have today. It's a matter of how the magic is used, not the fact that it's magic rather than science.

We could look at the culture of the world-setting to try to differentiate fantasy from science fiction. In SF, almost always there are lots of individual inventions that people use in everyday life, without even thinking about it. Telephones, automobiles, toilets, electric stoves, computers, washing machines, and so on. There will be analogs of those inventions in SF stories and games, usually posed as technology. But you can create a world that you call fantasy, that uses magic to provide all of those functions but calls it magic rather than technology.

Comics style superheroes are shown in something much like the real world (implying science fiction), but I'd call them fantasy, not SF. The Dresden Files (and other urban fantasies) are clearly fantasy, though sited in the real world.

It looks like science vs non-science is not sufficient, though natural vs supernatural is sometimes useful. Let's try other approaches next time.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
I agree that morality vs. ethics* is/can be seen as a primary indicator.

If you are thinking about the distinction between ethics and morality, you are at that point firmly in an ethical mindset. Morality is accessed primarily via feeling. When experiencing moral feeling, putting Good vs Evil in capital letters feels right. When not experiencing moral feeling, reactions would vary, but it probably wouldn't have the same impact. Values, importance, inherent worth, these things tend to have a moral character.

Ethics is rational, and examines consequences and desirability. It asks whether terms like "good" and "evil" are meaningful, and if so, how they should be defined. And that's assuming it chooses to ask those particular questions, amongst so many others it would rather discuss.

(Due to differences in neural configuration, most people are more prone to think in terms of one or the other of those categories (but I think most people are capable of both). I think, many times, whether a person is more configured towards one or another with determine whether, all things being equal, they will prefer sci-fi or fantasy. That's not always the case though. I assume authors tend to write according to their personal predilection for one or the other.)

So I think whether a work is primarily moral or ethical is a great indicator of whether it is fantasy or sci-fi. It's probably the distinguishing feature that has stuck with me the most since I first ran into it.

Now, obviously that isn't the whole story. But I think it perhaps addresses the essence of a work. Trappings can modify it, but that's how you get some stories that clearly feel like they fit into a different category than their trappings might indicate.

I think my best fit method for distinguishing the genres would be to go with the ethics vs. morality for the essence of the work, and then if the trappings strongly alter that, give it another descriptor to acknowledge that. That's why I'd go with "space" fantasy for Star Wars, for instance.

* Or even just "rational examination of consequences"

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Referencing RPG's would be more relevant.

There is a point where fantasy and sci-fi literature meet, is often around "The Hero's Journey" or Campbellian Monomyth; it is where Luke Skywalker and Frodo meet. Homer's Odyssey as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_journey

These are the stories, not world building. Sci-fi bears an onus of being a plausible world over fantasy, fantasy purposely doesn't bear this burden.

Hussar

Legend
Referencing RPG's would be more relevant.

There is a point where fantasy and sci-fi literature meet, is often around "The Hero's Journey" or Campbellian Monomyth; it is where Luke Skywalker and Frodo meet. Homer's Odyssey as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_journey

These are the stories, not world building. Sci-fi bears an onus of being a plausible world over fantasy, fantasy purposely doesn't bear this burden.

Not sure I agree with this. Doctor Who is SF but certainly not a plausible world.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Absolutely, and the idea of a US of A is even more ridiculous... Such a place could never be real!

Has there been a Dr Who in America, beyond some one shot that was crap?

Mostly I keed through, mostly. The word plausible means "seems reasonable, except can be specious", which is particularly suited to sci-fi. I don't think people are keying in on the meaning of the word.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
I go back to the literary explanation of Speculative Fiction to properly describe Science Fiction.

If the science/technology can be removed from the story altogether or replaced by magic then it is not SF. SF, in it's fundamental form is an examination of the human condition when affected by science and technology.

That's a very straight-jacketed approach to Science Fiction, but it is what I subscribe to. That being said, Star Wars is still my favorite thing in existence, I just know it isn't Science Fiction.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases