D&D 5E Matt Mercer Just Changed My Mind About Multiclassing

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Required viewing: "Handbooker Helper: Multiclassing," April 10, 2019:

Here's the deal. I've always hated multiclassing in 5th Edition. The prerequisites seemed unnecessary, the "always stack except when they don't" nature of class features, and the horrible horrible nightmare of what happens when a spellcaster takes levels of another spellcaster...and for what? some weapon proficiencies and maybe a class feature or two? It just never seemed like it was worth all of the trouble.

And then I watched this little introduction/how-to video. Matt does a great job of explaining how prerequisites work, how class features stack (or don't), and how to sort Hit Dice and spells out. It's not like I'd never heard this stuff before--I've read the rules, plus several threads on ENWorld dedicated to that topic--but for whatever reason, this campy how-to made the lights come on for me. Matt did in 8 minutes what nobody else could do in half a decade: he made 5E multiclassing sound simple and interesting. I used to be a solid "no" when my players asked about that optional rule, but now I'm all "sure, let's go for it."

It was the first time the Internet has ever changed my mind about something D&D-related. I'm not sure what to think anymore. What's happening to me?? What have I become?!?

Seriously though: has the Internet ever changed your mind about the way you run your game? Tell us a story.

(As a side note, if you aren't watching the "Handbooker Helper" video series, you are really missing out. Yes, they are campy and cringy for seasoned gamers, but they are also insightful and fun. I've learned a great deal from watching them, and not just about multiclassing.)

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Seriously though: has the Internet ever changed your mind about the way you run your game? Tell us a story.

[MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] totally opened my eyes to a better way to play D&D.

DISCLAIMER: The use of the word "better" in this post is meant entirely subjectively, and is not intended as a denigration or dismissal of the views of other participants in roleplaying games. Even if they are playing the game wrong.

I owe a lot of my current enjoyment and inspiration of/for D&D to the blog: http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/

I burned out from running D&D until I started reading this. It taught me to kind of 'let go' of the illusion of control that I thought had on the game and embrace player agency and the chaos of open world style play.

It has literally changed the way I see and play D&D for the better. I'm playing more D&D now than I have ever, as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases